• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

armybass

Colonial Heights, Virginia, United States
When I got this bass it was honestly on a whim. I had ordered and paid for a Butterscotch Old Smoothie when I realized a week later it was on back order I just called and said send me that Caprice instead. I spend lots of time on YouTube watching EBMM bass reviews. Well I kept watching the Joe Dart one with the Caprice where he is playing the Chicken and I was thinking that is a damn good sounding traditional passive sound.

Well now that I have had it a few weeks and gotten to spend some quality time with the bass I am really blown away. It is so much more than what I expected. In addition to the obvious traditional tones it is designed to achieve, you get those modernized traditional tones in spades plus a huge in your face presence that only a Music Man can give you. The neck pickup solo'd is glorious. A grunt, growl or snort...how ever you describe it...it is big lush and musical. No honky, nasally pinched off dead and uninspiring thud. Not your Daddy's neck pickup. This one is tuned to the modern hi fi amps and recordings that we have grown accustomed to.

And the slap tone out of the front pickup solo'd.... OMG! Carwash, Forget Me Nots.... its all there. But its a full spectrum sound. Rich harmonic content with all the heft behind it that you would assume those big @$$ pole pieces would supply. The slap tone with both pickups wide open is very shall we say.... "Victorian" ;) But you dont have to spend $5000 for a bass with EMG's in it.

In the past month I have gotten a new Classic Stingray, an Old Smoothie and the Caprice in addition to a few very fine used EBMM's. There is a lot of competition in my house for playing time... this bass has earned its keep and impressed my very much as the new kid on the block. If you have not played a Caprice, you need to.

GregP

I absolutely love mine. I love how clear and articulate the tone is and how the bridge pickup sounds full and rich...never nasally. The neck pickup has a very clean tone and a nice lower mid bump. I honestly play it with both pickups full on and tone cut to around 50%. It's got this great lounge singer jazz vibe going on. Oh, and Cobalt flats are a must. :)
37552306561_cd29e427c1_k.jpg

Holdsg

as of today, this one's hanging with me.
I was a big fan of the passive tone of the Big Al.
This has all that and something else too, and the necks are just as advertised.
Very happy, but still in the honeymoon, so I'll just stop gushing now.

caprice smaller.jpg

GregP

The only issue I ever had was I was getting some neck dive. So I had some hipshot ultra light tuners put on. The results? As they say in New York City "Forget about it!". Now it's perfect. :)

Honestly, I can't think of any real "improvements" that could be made. It's more of a question of options at this point. Being able to select fretboard wood independent of body color is a must IMHO. I'd also love to see a fretless option available down the line too. And I think the mute bridge would be a perfect addition to the old school vibe of this instrument.

And I know this is a super long shot but I would love a BFR version with an all rosewood neck like the BFR Sterling had :) :) :)

projectapollo

And I know this is a super long shot but I would love a BFR version with an all rosewood neck like the BFR Sterling had :) :) :)

I, too, have been guilting myself to get a passive P and looking at 70's vintage specimens. Then I just stumbled into this Caprice and Cutlass new world. Definitely going to try one or both. The BFR arrangement does sound perfect.

five7

Loved the sound, did not like the bridge. If it would have been a five I would have kept it.

kinopah

I, too, have been guilting myself to get a passive P and looking at 70's vintage specimens. Then I just stumbled into this Caprice and Cutlass new world. Definitely going to try one or both. The BFR arrangement does sound perfect.

A year later I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of this rad one-off. So good.

IMG_8686 2.jpg

Top Bottom