• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

cbc83

I love my 2011 JPXI. Great playability, killer tone. However, I need to tune after almost every song - and I have a fairly light touch and use the trem very little.

Any tips for improving tuning stability? I use 0.09 strings, so they shouldn't be stuck in the nut or something like that.

Or is this just what I should expect from a floating trem? I didn't have tuning issues on my Parker Fly Deluxe.

racerx

I have a Majesty and two others set to float with reasonable tuning stability with aggressive wang-bar usage.

What I would check/do on my setups:

* Take off old strings, clean the guitar up, etc.​
* Lube the nut with a pencil/special sauce of your choice​
* Pull the new strings through, make sure they're snugly seated in the bridge​
* I usually set my locking tuners holes to all be facing straight at the nut, pull the string through them as tight as I can, tighten the locking pin firmly, then bend the excess string 90 degrees straight up (and eventually trim after tuning to pitch and stretching)​
* Tune strings to pitch, stretch them, tune strings to pitch, stretch them, tune strings to pitch​
* I stretch my strings by pulling gently straight up from the face of the guitar at various points up and down the neck (using my free hand as a counter balance).​
* Play​

I also use 9/46s and just played a set last night on my L3 where I was abusing the trem more than usual. I periodically check tuning whenever there is down time in the set, but I never had a material deviation. Other guys may do it differently or have thoughts on it, but this works for me and I'm happy with my tuning stability. I hope it works for you too!

RAIN27

I had some issues with my JPXI and JP12's and now use Big Bends Nut Sauce with every string change.... problem solved

Mace13

I’ve never had issues with my JP XI. Always have used Big Bends nut sauce so can’t say if it is worse without it. Tuning is rock solid. I run 10 to 46s and I’m on the second nut.

Top Bottom