• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Choochoo

Peeps

My stingray5 HH tone is suffering. I don’t have ohms readings from before the issue.

It reads 24k plus ohms on all 5 switch settings now. I can’t find specs on it but someone from EB customer service told me it should read 1.8-2.0k which seams wrong, like way too low for active humbuckers.

Any thoughts and thanks in advance.

Choo

racerx

You might want to start off with describing the nature of the issue, what happened "before", what happens "now", if/what anything of note happened when the issue started happening, and what you've tried so far.

This might seem like low level stuff but is worth trying first -- Try to replace the batteries with known brand new batteries, try a known new cable, try another amp, try another electrical outlet, and make sure you're only using a bass->amp signal path to rule out anything in the chain causing issues.

You have to be careful where you measure at, the ol' trick of sticking a lead in the input jack doesn't always seem to be reliable for active electronics. But start with the basics first, we don't know what we're troubleshooting.

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

How exactly is the tone "suffering"? I would definitely change the battery.

And yes, as mentioned, active electronics pretty much make it only possible to get a good resistance reading directly from the pickup leads on the switch.

Choochoo

You might want to start off with describing the nature of the issue, what happened "before", what happens "now", if/what anything of note happened when the issue started happening, and what you've tried so far.

This might seem like low level stuff but is worth trying first -- Try to replace the batteries with known brand new batteries, try a known new cable, try another amp, try another electrical outlet, and make sure you're only using a bass->amp signal path to rule out anything in the chain causing issues.

You have to be careful where you measure at, the ol' trick of sticking a lead in the input jack doesn't always seem to be reliable for active electronics. But start with the basics first, we don't know what we're troubleshooting.
Thank you Racerx. I should have said all this in my 1st post. I appreciate the thinking you put in your reply.

No known event or anything caused it. It happened while playing. Before, it had killer tone, now it sounds like it’s in a box. A/B’d with multiple cables and amps, and several are brand new. Also used tested brand new batteries all Duracell and Energizer. Used all the same stuff listed above on another active bass and a passive one, they sound fine. This is all done bass direct into amp.

It is hard to characterize the change in tone in words, but it used to sound wonderful at almost any of its (the bass) eq settings. Now it sounds boxy with no oomph low end and no clarity high end. Pickups are set to factory spec, same strings I always use too.

D'Addario EXL160-5​

The eq knobs on the bass do have effects on the tone but again the bass sounds off no matter the settings.

Thanks again Racerx,

Choo

racerx

Np - thanks for putting all the context in. That's all great info and would be helpful for someone to pick off what it is/could be. Sounds like you've localized the issue to the bass itself, I'd let customer service know all this and see what they say or if they have any recommendations. They aren't a giant 24/7 call center but the person you speak to will care and see your issue through (or at least get you to whatever the next step is). Not sure if any of the other guys here have heard of it or have a recommendation., I've never encountered something like that.

Top Bottom