• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

kingdoublecut

Yesterday, while changing strings on my 2019 SbMM LK100 in the manner I have used for 45 years on guitars of multiple brands (taking all strings off, clean neck, restring), I heard a very distinct yet quiet "click". This gave me pause as it wasn't clear what caused it. As I also changed out the super switch, I put one string on to make sure the wiring was correct.

That is when I noticed that the string was laying on the first 3-4 frets and the neck had a clear dip at the nut end. I checked the truss rod with the EBMM tool and the truss adjustment wheel had an inch of play (looking at the end of the tool not in the wheel).

Using my Neck Check gauge, there is a distinct dip starting at the 5th fret...I am assuming the truss rod either snapped or let completely loose some how. I have never adjusted the truss rod on this particular guitar, but have on some of my other EBMM/SbMM guitars.

Any thoughts?

Can I replace the truss rod alone? You can actually hear it moving inside the neck.

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Usually you would really need to force into a truss rod nut to break it. Just taking strings off shouldn't do anything at all. I would start by tightening the truss rod adjuster and see if it works at all. It may just be so loose that it's moving around a bit.

kingdoublecut

After a full rotation in both directions, the adjustment wheel tightened backup and the neck straightened out. Guess I'll throw it back on the body, string it up and see what happens...

Etudica

Similar thing happened with one of my JPs. It was overdue for an adjustment and when I went to set it up the truss wheel had no resistance in either direction. Customer service said it is possible for it to bind up inside the neck depending on conditions and to try putting slight pressure on the neck to see if it gives. Sure enough as soon as I gave the neck a slight wiggle I heard that same sort of "click" and voila, truss adjustment was back to normal. That was 3 years ago... has not happened since and is still the best playing guitar I own.

kingdoublecut

I am just completely amazed... I have re-necked and strung up my guitar and it is better than ever before. Lower action, no buzzes whatsoever...just weird, but I'll take it.

kingdoublecut

Not that it makes any difference, but this is a 2019 LK100 neck on a 2017 LK100D. I swapped necks when I modded the 2019 to HSH. Had I known how few of the LK100D models were out there (based on seeing only 3-4 in three years on Reverb) I wouldn't have swapped necks.

Top Bottom