• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

TheBigDipper

Hi. First post from a newbie to the forum. I've tried the search function and not found what I'm looking for - but, TBH, I'm nt very good with search facilities anyway...

I've owned a 1989 Silhouette from new. It's still my main electric guitar. I bought it from Paula at Chandler Guitars in London in Jan 1990, about 8 weeks after the guitar was finished at the factory. It's a rosewood neck, sunburst SSS hardtail.

The tuners have started to wear out - gears are slipping when I tune up. It stays in tune once I get the strings there. I'd just like to replace them, not upgrade to anything else. They're non-locking Schallers (made in West Germany, they're that old...). I'm having trouble identifying exactly which current Schaller model I should be ordering to change them over.

If anyone can help, I'd be grateful. Thanks! Even if the help is explaining how I missed it when searching... :)

Pink

Good day to you. If you haven’t already, email Customer Support. They, as well as the members here, may offer some direction for you.

tbonesullivan

I'll take some and post here. That's what Customer Support asked for when I contacted them, too. :)
Schaller still makes pretty much every tuner, the problem is FINDING someone who sells the version you need. They have M6 tuners with screws at 90, 135, and 180 degrees from the knobs, locking and non locking.

TheBigDipper

Here are the photos I sent to Customer Support - who did reply and suggested they were Schaller M6LA. I'd actually forgotten that, because the conversation was approx 3 years ago (and I got distracted from following it up then and just limped along - which I really don't want to do any more).

Attachments

• IMG_2140.jpg
    IMG_2140.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2141.jpg
    IMG_2141.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2142.jpg
    IMG_2142.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 78

tbonesullivan

Here are the photos I sent to Customer Support - who did reply and suggested they were Schaller M6LA. I'd actually forgotten that, because the conversation was approx 3 years ago (and I got distracted from following it up then and just limped along - which I really don't want to do any more).
Yeah, Schaller M6 "180" tuners with the "small" buttons. Looks like Chrome plate finish. Should not be hard to find... except that you're gonna find mostly 3+3 sets.

Schaller does sell individual tuners, and they do actually make a locking version of this tuner with the 180 degree screw hole. The problem is finding a dealer that sells them.

FYI, the current tuners that EBMM uses on most guitars are the M-6 135 degree Schaller Locking Tuners, and they have been using those for years.

TheBigDipper

Yeah, Schaller M6 "180" tuners with the "small" buttons. Looks like Chrome plate finish. Should not be hard to find... except that you're gonna find mostly 3+3 sets.

Schaller does sell individual tuners, and they do actually make a locking version of this tuner with the 180 degree screw hole. The problem is finding a dealer that sells them.

FYI, the current tuners that EBMM uses on most guitars are the M-6 135 degree Schaller Locking Tuners, and they have been using those for years.

Thanks. I'll possibly need to take one off and measure it before ordering - I'll go direct to Schaller, I guess, unless I find someone in the UK who can supply them.

TheBigDipper

How about some pictures of the entire neck? Looks gorgeous!

I'll put some pix up over the weekend. I know the figuring on the maple neck is pretty, but I sort of lose sight of that most of the time. It's just my guitar, you know? The body has a translucent finish which shows off the woodgrain. I'm not sure if it was actually bookmatched when they made it, but it's very close. I did call it "sunburst" at the top of this post, but I vaguely remember being called "honeyburst" somewhere, which is probably more accurate.

Top Bottom