• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ATFBass

Let me preface this by saying I love this bass. Yes, even the looks - it's unique. That is it's charm.

Anyway, I recently got one in Roll Burgundy, with a tort pickguard. I've noticed that there is inconsistency in the vol/tone/level of the G and somewhat with the D, as opposed to the E and A which sound rich and WOW!!!

The neck pickup was low, so I raised it to the height of the bridge pickup. A little better, but more sting clank than I like. The pickups are WAY powerful.

I was told it might be the strings? I should replace those. ?? They are the strings on the bass out of the store.

So my first issue is the inconsistency. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Second would be if the strings are the issue:

1) replace them with ____________ strings... ??

and what guages are the factpry strings - and do I need a full setup if I deviate from that at all??

Whew. OK, I am questioned out.

Thanks in advance. I love - LOVE - this bass - I just want to get this issue(s) resolved.

:eek:

LoEnd

Great score on the bass.

I would say first replace the strings (I like the EB Slinkys) and also replace the batteries. This may be all you need. It's good to get the real simple stuff out of the way first:cool:

ATFBass

Great score on the bass.

I would say first replace the strings (I like the EB Slinkys) and also replace the batteries. This may be all you need. It's good to get the real simple stuff out of the way first:cool:

Thanks! I got a great deal, and was beyond pleased. The nicest piece I've ever owned. I drove home from the store with a smile on my face so wide I had to open both windows. :D

They had black with a pearl pickguard, but the burdundy spoke to me. :p

You know, I never even thought about the batteries. They, like the strings are the ones right out of the store.

Simple = good.

bovinehost

Administrator
Definitely start with the easy things. Strings, to be sure. It might be a new bass, but that's no guarantee that the strings are new. Same with the battery.

I've had a ton of Bongos and have never had a problem with consistency from string to string. I don't think raising the neck pickup is the answer, necessarily. You might check the angle of the pickups. If your G is not as powerful as the other strings, try dropping the bass side of the pickup(s) slightly to even things out. I've done this on a Stingray or two and had great success with it.

(I'm a big believer in subtraction over addition, at least initially.)

But strings and batteries first is good advice.

Rolls with tort? Nice!

Jack

ATFBass

Any problems I would call customer service... they are the best in the biz!!!

Funny you say that, I on a whim called and was shocked when a human answered the phone. I talked to someone and they said to look into changing the strings and I could call back and talk to a certain person on Monday if need be. She seemed pretty confident it was the strings.

But the batteries could be on their way out too as suggested. I'll do both. Couldn't hurt!

But yes, they were very helpful, as are you guys - thanks.

mynan

Start by replacing the strings and batteries. I saw your post on TB and it sounds like you don't know a lot about setup...nothing wrong with that, but a knowledge of setup is probably key to solving your problem...and without actually getting hands-on the bass, it's kinda hard to diagnose the situation.

The neck pickup should be a little lower than the bridge pickup. Instead of raising the neck pickup, I would try lowering the bridge saddle on the g-string as far as possible without causing a lot of fret buzz.

ATFBass

Definitely start with the easy things. Strings, to be sure. It might be a new bass, but that's no guarantee that the strings are new. Same with the battery.

I've had a ton of Bongos and have never had a problem with consistency from string to string. I don't think raising the neck pickup is the answer, necessarily. You might check the angle of the pickups. If your G is not as powerful as the other strings, try dropping the bass side of the pickup(s) slightly to even things out. I've done this on a Stingray or two and had great success with it.

(I'm a big believer in subtraction over addition, at least initially.)

But strings and batteries first is good advice.

Rolls with tort? Nice!

Jack

I will check into that - the less is more concept - makes sense!!

Here is what my bass looks like - found this pic.. It's exact to the one pictured.

ATFBass

Start by replacing the strings and batteries. I saw your post on TB and it sounds like you don't know a lot about setup...nothing wrong with that, but a knowledge of setup is probably key to solving your problem...and without actually getting hands-on the bass, it's kinda hard to diagnose the situation.

The neck pickup should be a little lower than the bridge pickup. Instead of raising the neck pickup, I would try lowering the bridge saddle on the g-string as far as possible without causing a lot of fret buzz.

Yeah, I have been playing over 25 years, and as far as set up and related - I am in a word, clueless. :(

So I guess I should lower that neck pickup to where it was I assume. :)

Will do.

As long as it is nothing monumental wrong with the bass (other than my own ineptitude) I guess I am ok. I was worried it was something serious - but that is just me, I worry too much. :(

Last edited:

Big Poppa

frowny faces....uuuurrrrghhhh

Please do not raise the pickups That is for passive basses not basses with neodynim magnets and 18v preamps

Maybe help poppa out and midofy your thread and title someone would actuall see this and think that we did something wrong when it appears to be an amateur set up job

Busterkilrain

Thanks! I got a great deal, and was beyond pleased. The nicest piece I've ever owned. I drove home from the store with a smile on my face so wide I had to open both windows. :D

They had black with a pearl pickguard, but the burdundy spoke to me. :

Whoa...that's weird. Look what I just bought.

Last edited:

tkarter

Looks like AussieMark's Bongo. He probably just played the G string to death on it. :)

tk

mammoth

i love rolls burgundy!

my advice would be to ensure you buy good quality 9V batteries in bulk too!

i had a similar issue and it was all down to dodgy setup
get out a ruler and reseat your pups to the exact heights specified on the Musicman website...

"The factory specifications for the pickup height is 6/32" or 4.76mm from the top of the plastic between the pickup covers to the bottom of the G string. The angle of the pickup is set fairly level, so the larger strings are naturally a bit closer. If you haven't already adjusted the pickup or changed to a very heavy gauge string set, you shouldn't have to do any adjustments on the pickup.

On the new 2-pickup basses, the measurements are virtually the same on the bridge pickup and the neck pickup is further away, about 8/32" or 6.35mm from the string to the pickup.
"
peace and love kids!

Col

Top Bottom