• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

paulmitch

I've started playing with the VPJR recently on my pedal board for my electric guitar. I've got the passive version and the signal flow for my pedal board is as follows:
Custom Telecaster -> Boss TU-2 -> Boss CS-3 -> Boss OC-3 -> Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive Distortion -> Ernie Ball VPJR -> Line 6 DL-4 -> Fender Blues Jr.

My issues arose with the VPJR about 6 months after I bought it. Conveniently just out of warranty. No biggie. I liked the pedal, and figured it would make sense to pick up another rather than get the initial one fixed. I have a bunch of gigs, and didn't want to be without. Plus, if reliability was going to be an issue, I'd have a backup now. The problem was the pedal would just cut out for what I could see as "no discernible reason." I went to Guitar Center (which is where I bought the first pedal) and picked up another. I had a show that Saturday night, and the pedal was cutting out so much that I had to take it out of the signal chain. Monday, I returned the pedal and got another new one out out of the box. A couple days later at rehearsal, the pedal completely cuts out. I'm not overly hard on my pedals, but I do use my feet to operate them. I'm debating going to a different unit altogether, but I like the chassis, and I'm figuring I got a bad lot.

Anyone else have issues like this? Practical suggestions?

drewbixcubed

Hi Paul!

I would recommend a few things...

First, becuase you are running your pedal AFTER active pedals, I recommend using the 25K version. If you were to run your pedal just after your guitar (assuming you don't have active pickups in it), that would be the ideal place for a 250K or 500K version.

Second, more often than not, when you start getting intermittent signals like that, it can be a cable that is the issue. Our pedals are SO simple (they are basically the same as the pot in your guitar), there isn't much than can go wrong. Especially considering the fact we hardly ever have problems with pedals doing what you mentioned, and you just happen to pick up 2 pedals that seem to be bad.

I hope this helps, and good luck! If you have any additional problems, please be sure to contact customer service and/or check out our FAQ section on the site~

paulmitch

Thanks Drew. I'll bring this pedal back and exchange for the 25k version. Hopefully that will help. I don't see how this could be a cable issue as I've swapped those out too. It's really apparent that it's the pedal. Perhaps this will correct my issue. I've heard these are bulletproof, but I'm on my third pedal. Something's goofy. I'll post the results...

Top Bottom