• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Yendog

So I'm a full time professional and teacher. I am on my second VPJR.

I am running it on a board powered by Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 plus. (this is an edit.. I thought I had a different)

I have now had TWO of the new VPJRs with tuner. I also sent a request to EB for support. I sent back the first one.

I get to the gig... play for a while and then realize the screen is blank. Not unlit. Just NO readout. I am running Tuner/Volume mode. I have to unplug it from power and plug it back in... it will last for a while and then do it again until I do the same thing. SO frustrating especially cause it has happened at gigs both times,

I am running it next to last in my chain off of 9 volt power. I just bought a Y cable to try running it on 18 volts instead although that shouldn't really matter.

HELP! Any ideas? Anyone else had this problem? Sucks cause I LOVE LOVE LOVE the concept... and have shown a lot of people how brilliant it is... but its not brilliant if I can't trust it at a gig. :-( And right now I definitely DO NOT.

I thought it had to just be a bad pedal but there's no way I got two in a row that are doing the same thing right?

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Hi Yendog, welcome to the fourm!

Statistically, if one can go bad (and every brand of every product has small %age warranty return rate) then somebody somewhere in the world can possibly get two bad ones. Is that you? Without the pedal in front of me, I can't say. BUT just on probably alone, I would be trying to eliminate all possible power issues as more likely.

First, I would try to run it on it's own not connected to anything else, i.e. guitar -> VPJr -> amp, and nothing else connected of the same power supply. If the problem persists, it's a faulty unit. If it passes that test, then something in the way you've connected your pedals to the power source is causing the current or voltage it needs to drop below what it wants.

Yendog

Yeah that was going to be my test for sure. I will do. It would be strange to me that I’m using the worlds most ubiquitous power supply and yet no one else has had this problem and I’ve had it with two. So it’s probably something in my set up but also strange that no one else with a similar set up has had a similar problem

Yendog

I have the Y cable in 4/5 of the pedal power 2 which they say to do... will keep you all updated.... what I'm shocked about is that no one else literally has had this problem of the screen not displaying information at all? Do we know what might lead to that state even? Not enough power? not enough signal? TOO much signal? The screen stays on you can see but no info.

zachisbackinblack

I created an account just to reply to this. I too have this exact issue with my VP JR Tuner. Reboots didn’t seem to fix it, the screen one day started staying on a couple minutes after boot, and then would blank out and stop working. Getting it replaced.

I am using a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power Mondo. The pedal worked for a couple months before this started happening.

Yendog

I have not had this issue since running a Y cable out of my pedal power FYI. Its annoying to have to use two ports but it has been solid... at least you didnt have to figure it out at a gig like I did the first couple times.. uGGG...

zachisbackinblack

I have not had this issue since running a Y cable out of my pedal power FYI. Its annoying to have to use two ports but it has been solid... at least you didnt have to figure it out at a gig like I did the first couple times.. uGGG...
Okay that’s interesting. Actually yeah it happened during a gig for me too.

beej

Which outputs of the PP2+ are you guys using?

The VPJR manual says it needs "150 mA minimum". The PP2+ has mostly 100 mA outputs- you'd have to use a Y cable (current doubler) if you're using any of those. Otherwise you're starving it.

Outputs 5 and 6 put out 250 mA though- so you should be fine if you use one of those.

Fwiw, I eventually moved to a PP3 on my board to replace the 2+ (same size, more current + outputs) since so many pedals need higher current these days.

Top Bottom