• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DoublebassTim

Every time I pluck the e string on my 1991 Stingray 4H I hear a rattle? The screws on my bridge are all with their feet on the body. The trussed turns nice and not striped. What could it be?

tbonesullivan

Check every screw to make sure that it is snug. See if you can isolate exactly where the sound is coming from.

drTStingray

Usual reason I’ve found for this is if one of the tuning pegs is loose on the shaft - you can easily tell by holding the tuning peg whilst plucking the open string - if the rattle goes you either need a new tuning peg or to try and tighten the joint on the existing one. I’ve had to replace several over the years - it’s usually where the bass has fallen over or been knocked over and caused the damage - which often doesn’t appear immediately or for some time - I currently have the problem on one of the pegs on a US Sub 5 - the pegs are unbranded on the US Subs and I don’t want to buy a complete set to overcome the issue !!

Last edited:

Golem

I had the e string up high on the peg. I pushed it down and rewound it and no ring.
An E string too high on the peg is not well pressed down into the nut, and the rattle is usually the string rattling in the nut. Same can be heard if a nut is cracked at the string slot.

Top Bottom