• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

behrens

Awesome responses, thanks!

I agree with Spud, I've never really dialed something in yet and said, "Ah ha! That's it!" It is fun trying to get there though. :)

Looks like I should check out the Suhr Riot though. It's pretty heavily recommended here.

Keep the answers coming! :)

roburado

Distortion: From the amp, Egnater Mod 50.

Various other dirt from overdrive pedals:
Way Huge Pork Loin
Xotic BB Preamp (Andy Timmons signature version)

Just got a Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face. Haven't tried it out yet.

roburado

Now is anybody going to disagree that Jamie Humphries has a monster tone? (would take a brave man/woman lol). After attending one of his clinics I had a chat with him. He really doesn't like a dedicated DISTORTION stomp box - and I was kinda taken aback by that! He drives his amp hard, uses low gain pickups on his Axis and when he wants the grunt he turns the guitar volume up and kicks in a EP (exho plex) booster made by xotic...

I am tempted by an EP booster though !!!

And yea, Xotic make AMAZING pedals. The BB preamp is one of my favorite OD pedals ever. The EP booster will be going on my board as well at some point.

Love the videos of the EP Booster. So cool!

wolfbone07

TC Electronic Nova Drive, really great pedal. For tweed sounds Lovepedal Les Lius, just awesome! For overdrive, I've got a Phad mod Boss Blues Drivers that get the job done.

mikeller

I also prefer the distortion from a good tube amp, however I dont really own a phenomenal one. I have a Blackstar HT20 head which has a good gain tone, but is not very versatile unfortunately.

Also I dont gig right now, but go to the studio bunch of times with my buddies to jam and do some covers. I have no idea what amps I will be using and what condition they are etc. so I bring my little board.

I got a Suhr Riot for the heavy distortion...I must say I really do like this pedal. It sounds great depending on the set up of course. I also have the Xotic BB Preamp which I use for the lower gain stuff, but I will actually kick that in to boost the Riot for over the top metal stuff especially when we play Symphony X or Judas Priest material.

I am also looking into the Wampler Pinnacle...that pedal sounds really awesome from what I've heard so far. Their other pedals also sound really cool.

Mike, please report once you get the Pinnacle in comparison to the Riot!!! I kind of like that the Pinnacle has two EQ knobs to dial in the tone more. The Riot is great, but really needs to be turned up to sound amazing and full.

And yea, Xotic make AMAZING pedals. The BB preamp is one of my favorite OD pedals ever. The EP booster will be going on my board as well at some point.

I sure will report back later this weekend. The Riot is a fantastic pedal. But the Pinnacle, from the various YouTube demo's sounds a little bit smoother, which I like....

And yes the BB is great. I also have an M/I Audio Blues Pro that is off the board at this time, but it is a killer TS type pedal, little more gain and little less mid-hump than a TS.

Roubster

I sure will report back later this weekend. The Riot is a fantastic pedal. But the Pinnacle, from the various YouTube demo's sounds a little bit smoother, which I like....

And yes the BB is great. I also have an M/I Audio Blues Pro that is off the board at this time, but it is a killer TS type pedal, little more gain and little less mid-hump than a TS.

Yes I agree on the smoothness. That's what I like about it. I think it has more of a looser saggier chewy tone whereas the Riot is tighter and more compressed. I tend to have the tone always below 12oclock and the switch in the mid position as that has the most mids. I was also actually considering the Shiba Drive which would probably sound killer in line with the BB preamp for higher gain stuff. But again I like that the Pinnacle has a bit more tweakability. I will probably get one for more variety of gain tones along with the Riot and BB.

peterd79

My base tone is very clean with a Dr. Z Maz 18 w reverb

To go to a warm drive i use a Barber LTD SR - if i want that warmth just boosted i use a VFE Rocket EQ
To get that Santana type drive i use my Barber LTD SR and then use a VFE Alpha Dog (Vintage & Germanium setting)
To get that Banamassa type drive/grit i used my Barber LTD SR and MXR Classic Distortion
To get some really edgy drive i use my Barber LTD SR and VFE Distortion 3 and then boost it with VFE Rocket EQ

and of course my guitars EBMM 20th and EBMM Silo Special really drive everything home...

Jackson2112

Mesa Road King Head & Cab or Evh 5150 III, with Delay from a TC Electronic G-Sytem to give it that awesome singing lead sound. The EVH goes with my Eddie's and the Mesa is my Gigging amp.

Attachments

• evh.jpg
    evh.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 828
  • Boog2.jpg
    Boog2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:

Warg Master

My amp has plenty of distortion for any type of music. and like Jackson2112, just add some TC electronic delay and away we go!

Dr.Strangenote

Egnater Renegade 65 and 4x12 cab. The amp has plenty of gain with no distortion pedal needed.

IMG_0942.jpg
No intent to go off topic, but look at that flame on that neck!!

djlynch

At home I like to use two small practice amps in stereo. Give you a fat low volume distortion that is tweakable

ily

no distortion pedal
just the 4 modules of my preamp EGNATER M4 DUAL CHANNEL
love the gain of each preamp
4 different grain of distortion Fender(twin and bassmann),Marshall,vox

img5691s.jpg

Roubster

I just tried the Shiva Drive today...its a really sweet warm singing OD. I would kind of describe it as Andy Timmons tone in a stomp box.

Top Bottom