• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

NoUse121

I just maily go off of amp distortion. Tell you the truth I do not even have a overdrive or distortion on my pedalboard at the moment. I do have a Ibanez TS808 that I sometimes use along with a Fulltone OCD and a Way Huge Pork Loin. The Pork Loin is my fave out of the group. It has a lot of EG settings I can play with.

Tim O'Sullivan

Fit my Line 6 Duoverb which is supposed to sound like a JCM800, I use a Boss Super Overdrive. I tried a MXR Zakk Wylde pedal but it was too harsh and preferred the Boss.

For jam nights and random amp situations, you really can't go wrong with the Boss Overdrive/Distortion. Turn the color knob all the way to overdrive, gain and tone to 12 o'clock and it's saturation bliss!

Roubster

No offense to anyone that likes them, but I dont like or have not experienced any good tones from any of the Boss OD and distortion pedals. To ME they sound too fuzzy with a shrill high end, and rolling off the tone just makes em sound undefined and muddy. Of course to each their own, and everyone has their own idea of what sounds good of course. I watched a comparison video between the Pinnacle and Riot, and there were comments from people who liked the Riot better and others saying that the Pinnacle destroyed the Riot. Sooooo it's really just another crazy tone quest in the beholders ears.

For instance, I think Andy Timmons has the best tone overall out of anyone I've heard...even though I like different heavier and crunchier metal tones as well and of course Steve Morse is overall my #1 guitar influence and guitar god so to speak. But of course someone can easily respond saying how they dont like it because its too dark or blah blah blah....I'm ranting now with half gallon of wine in me...apologies.

ANYWAY, in my humble opinion these are the top 4 OD and Distortion tones I have had good experience with and can cover pretty much anything combining certain ones together as well:

Suhr Riot - heavy gain monster with a tighter attack
Wampler Pinnacle - fat brown sound as it claims
Suhr Shiba Driva - Warm mid gain singing lead type of tone ala Santana or Andy Timmons
BB Preamp - best OD or boost pedal overall I have heard and played to date (will never ever leave my board)

Jonny Dubai

My distortion comes from the amp. for solos i have it set up for a dual master volume and if i need a bit more kick i have a Hardwire CM-2. Great pedal.

J

bsteff666

The distortion that happens when I crank up my Bray modded Marshall through this cab (30-some year old 25 watt Celestion blackbacks...great break-up).
DSC02950-1.jpg

When it comes to overdrive pedals...I really like the Fulltone Fulldrive 2.

beej

The thing with distortion or OD pedals is ... so much depends on what amp you have. Some highly regarded pedals sound like crap through the wrong amp.

When people ask for a recommendation, I usually start with asking what they're playing through and what kind of sound they want. Then go from there.

auxren

I've always liked my Fulltone OCD into my Mesa mk III. I pretty much always keep the OCD on, even for cleans. It helps clean up the found a bit and focus it in my liking. I had the Fulldrive II for a bit, but the OCD beat it out. Lately, I've been really liking the sound of my 70s MXR Dyna Comp with the output all the way up and the sensitivity barely turned up going into the mk III.

geese_com

I usually use amp distortion (Mark V or Royal Atlantic), but I have a Nady TD-1 and a Boss SD-1 on my board as well.

ScoobySteve

I'm a firm believer in amp distortion. As the all around tube saturation gives a tone that is hard to match. I agree with Beej. The massive proliferation of the pedal market, and gear market is directly related to the near uncountable variety of guitars, pickups, amps, cabs, speakers, strings, cables and pedals that makes mixing and matching a very YMMV world.

You need a solid guitar, above all else, then you need an amp you like. This starting point is different for so many and results in our different quests to get tone we want.

For this reason, I'm super duper interested in ya'lls experiences with pedal distortion, as I have little! Be sure to let us know the signal chain! :D

HTSMetal

The band I'm currently playing with requires a much more laid back, indie rock overdrive. We also tend to cover a lot of 1960s-era classics, as our lead singer is heavily in to The Beatles and The Beach Boys. Primarily, I'm using my Peavey Classic 50 4x10's overdrive channel for live distortion. It also does glistening cleans like a champ.

cc87f99a.jpg

However, I've recently found my "holy grail" of overdrive tone with this bad boy that my Dad had stored away in a closet many moons ago --

7714118b.jpg

It's perfect for that creamy, smooth, fusion-style guitar tone that I love so much, and it sounds phenomenal with my Axis Super Sport. I'm also a huge fan of the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver.

guitrr

I've got a whole closet shelf full of overdrive pedals, some of which are very high end; but since buying a Rockbox Boiling Point last fall, I have yet to use even a single one of those other pedals.

GoKart_MoZart

My guitars are made in CA (MM from SLO), same for my amp (Mesa from Petaluma), and my ***very sweet*** distortion pedal (ToneCandy from Santa Rosa). Coincidence...? Actually, yes!

peterd79

My guitars are made in CA (MM from SLO), same for my amp (Mesa from Petaluma), and my ***very sweet*** distortion pedal (ToneCandy from Santa Rosa). Coincidence...? Actually, yes!

Very Nice...

the california tri-fecta is in the house...

Guitars (MM SLO, CA), AMP (Dr. Z, Ohio), Pedals (all USA) is that close? :)

FantasyMetal

As far as tone goes, I'm pretty satisfied with my current setup of my guitars (either EBMM; the Axis is a little darker than the Y2D since I modded the Y2D) directly into my Peavey 6505+ through my Mesa/Boogie rectifier cab (sorry the 6505+ beats out the Mark V in my book!). That gets me pretty much the ideal distortion sound. However, when I'm in a more '70's classic rock mood, nothing beats my Dad's Fender Deluxe Reverb with an MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion in front of it. That is probably the best distortion pedal I've ever heard, in terms of a natural, organic sound. However, I really want to get a Carl Martin PlexiTone to try out, since all of the demos I've heard of it just sound phenomenal.

mikeller

I also prefer the distortion from a good tube amp, however I dont really own a phenomenal one. I have a Blackstar HT20 head which has a good gain tone, but is not very versatile unfortunately.

Also I dont gig right now, but go to the studio bunch of times with my buddies to jam and do some covers. I have no idea what amps I will be using and what condition they are etc. so I bring my little board.

I got a Suhr Riot for the heavy distortion...I must say I really do like this pedal. It sounds great depending on the set up of course. I also have the Xotic BB Preamp which I use for the lower gain stuff, but I will actually kick that in to boost the Riot for over the top metal stuff especially when we play Symphony X or Judas Priest material.

I am also looking into the Wampler Pinnacle...that pedal sounds really awesome from what I've heard so far. Their other pedals also sound really cool.

Mike, please report once you get the Pinnacle in comparison to the Riot!!! I kind of like that the Pinnacle has two EQ knobs to dial in the tone more. The Riot is great, but really needs to be turned up to sound amazing and full.

And yea, Xotic make AMAZING pedals. The BB preamp is one of my favorite OD pedals ever. The EP booster will be going on my board as well at some point.

I wrote this the other but must have forgotten to hit the post button.

I did have a chance to A/B the Suhr Riot and Wampler Pinnacle. They are very similar, the nod would go to the Pinnacle in being more versatile with the Contour control and boost button (which is minimal) It (the pinnacle) is a little smoother also. But both pedals (and my old M/I Audio Crunchbox) are fantastic for those high-gain applications....

Tis BOOLsheet

Can anyone recommend a good distortion pedal for putting over a clean amp? I almost always play on a practice amp since I have neighbors and my tube amp would shake the floor and walls.

I've been using a DS-1 for years, but I think I need to upgrade. I'm using a JP12-7 and an Ibanez RG with Evos. Any suggestions?

ScoobySteve

Can anyone recommend a good distortion pedal for putting over a clean amp? I almost always play on a practice amp since I have neighbors and my tube amp would shake the floor and walls.

I've been using a DS-1 for years, but I think I need to upgrade. I'm using a JP12-7 and an Ibanez RG with Evos. Any suggestions?

Are you using a stock BOSS DS-1? Have you tried the Keeley modded one? It's WAY better.

As for the stompbox, it depends on what tone you're going for. Honestly speaking, I've never found a good single pedal for high gain tones. I usually ended up stacking a dist pedal with an OD pedal. But it became way too finicky, sensitive and noisy.

the wampler pinnacle and shur are great. Not sure if it'll get you to that heavy metal brutal zone.

Last edited:

Roubster

Depends what kind of sound you're going for, but yea the Suhr Riot will turn a clean amp into a fire breathing monster haha. It will not do like death metal or whatever, but it plenty enough for Dream Theater type of things especially with the 3 way mini switch in the right position which scoops the mids a bit.

Top Bottom