• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

OldSchool Noob

Like a P-Bass?

ebmuscmanlvr83 said:
My first Bongo was a Dual H 4 string. <snip> Rolling to only the neck pickup gave me a P Bass like tone, but better, with more low mids.
mike jewels said:
How much like a P-bass? Kind of like a P-bass, or very like a P-bass?

Excellent question! But I didn't see a definitive answer.

Anyone have any thoughts to offer?

bovinehost

Administrator
How much like a P-bass? Kind of like a P-bass, or very like a P-bass?

I'd say only sort of like a P bass. Really, how much like a P bass do you want it to sound like? Me - not much. But you can ride around in the neighborhood without buying the old house on the corner, that's how I think of it.

Figjam

Im not really a fan of the pbass tone. I actually dont find them to be that low-bassy sounding. IME lately, jazzes have a bassier tone than P basses. Im not sure why this has been the case but i find that the P's ive played lately have been quite trebely.

Gods playing a trick on me.

bovinehost

Administrator
Precisions have something odd going on in the midrange that drives me directly up the freaking wall, and Lord knows I played and owned enough of them that it makes me wonder what I was thinking.

I can enjoy them if someone else is playing them, but if it's me, I'm constantly twiddling the knobs and checking the amp and looking for where my right hand should be to get the tone I want.

And I'm with you on the Jazz basses. I'd play one of those, no problem, and sometimes do, but why? Why fool around?

The tone I want is easy to find with my Bongos. I like things to be easy when they can be.

Jack

tkarter

The sound you hear is in your head. The sound you want changes shortly after picking up any EB bass or you just aren't normal.

IMHO

tk

Psycho Ward

Yeah I have to say that ALL of my EBMM basses sound like what I'm looking for almost straight out of the box, very little knob turning. AND when you do turn a knob, by God something happens! My Lakland Joe Osborn had almost no adjustment from the tone rings, it was bright or not with nothing in between. That changed with the J-Retro I installed and now it's my "Jazz" bass.

But the 3 band in my SR4 and SR5 and Sterling allow for surgical sculpting (drinking way too much, spelling may be iffey...). Has EBMM ever offered their preamp in a box or floor pedal? It would be fun to hear some of my basses with the EBMM touch.

One last thought, I now have a bass that has a piezo pickup and I love it! I know the cost to retool this option for us lefty's will keep it from ever happening, but what a cool option it must be for you right handers!

I'm going to do a big sell off of my left hand collection once my Bongo arrives, I may even part with... dare I sayyyyy, my SR5!!! (But that will require a lot of sober thought, but I seem to reach a four string every time.)

bovinehost

Administrator
I'm going to do a big sell off of my left hand collection once my Bongo arrives, I may even part with... dare I sayyyyy, my SR5!!

Chuck, keep drinking, man, but don't make any more public declarations!

(Not that I haven't done it a time or two.)

Jack

tkarter

Psycho Ward said:
Yeah I have to say that ALL of my EBMM basses sound like what I'm looking for almost straight out of the box, very little knob turning. AND when you do turn a knob, by God something happens! My Lakland Joe Osborn had almost no adjustment from the tone rings, it was bright or not with nothing in between. That changed with the J-Retro I installed and now it's my "Jazz" bass.

But the 3 band in my SR4 and SR5 and Sterling allow for surgical sculpting (drinking way too much, spelling may be iffey...). Has EBMM ever offered their preamp in a box or floor pedal? It would be fun to hear some of my basses with the EBMM touch.

One last thought, I now have a bass that has a piezo pickup and I love it! I know the cost to retool this option for us lefty's will keep it from ever happening, but what a cool option it must be for you right handers!

I'm going to do a big sell off of my left hand collection once my Bongo arrives, I may even part with... dare I sayyyyy, my SR5!!! (But that will require a lot of sober thought, but I seem to reach a four string every time.)

If you would have just learned to play right handed you could handle 5 strings even after drinking.
:D :D :D

tk

TSanders

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

I KNOW this thread is OLD. However, I have a couple questions on other forums about the tone of the Single H Bongo and wanted to bump this so when I go to post links to this thread I can avoid searching for it again. Also revised a couple things.

Last edited:

Spot

I know that is a really old tread but a lot of peoples ask how the single H bongos sound so i made a few sound clips. Im not the best player in the world but the sound quality is not bad.

reggae.mp3 - 1.96MB

Setting: (-10 to 10, the middle notch is 0)

bass= 2, mid=2, treble=0

blues.mp3 - 2.18MB

Bass=0, Mid=0, Treble=0

terrible groove.mp3 - 0.74MB

Bass=0, Mid=7, Treble=5

Hope it can help some ppl out there

fidooda

you guys are killing me. i already had this thread bookmarked for reference when i decided which pickup config i would get. and now, sound bytes, suggested settings too. :)

and know i also wish i ordered a 5er.

Alvabass

DSC01110.jpg

That's exactly the picture that made me fall in love with the Lava Pearl color. Actually, still have it in my computer renamed as "My GAS.jpg".

Cutlass I

Bongo 6 H Stealth / Ebony

Hi Everybody

Looooooong time No see.. Though I have not been here for a while I didnt get rid of any of my "exotic" musicman basses...

I am thinking about buying a Bongo 6H Stealth / Ebony.. Any thoughts if I need a different pickup config? Long time ago I remember Jack complimenting the Single Hum for its positioning in the "sweetspot"... Guess that is still current from this thread? :)

Let me know.. Also where I can potentially get hold of one...

Thanks...

/ Palle

Top Bottom