• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Estin

hey guys i see alot of you have bought custom orders thru EB or are waiting on some to arrive currently. my question is why do custom orders? theirs so many used EBMM's out there at a fraction of the cost. can pickup a used silhouette for like $450 thats how rediculously cheap these things are used. just like to hear your thoughts. thanks!

kbaim

I'm awaiting my second custom order.

The first was a Luke in Blue Dawn ordered 9/20/02 and delivered 12/20/02. Very difficult color to find and now unavailable.

While I was waiting for it, Guitar Center let me BORROW a purple Luke. I ended up buying that one too.

I've seen Lukes on occasion, but the colors didn't do anything for me. So why not wait and get one built especially for you.

My latest custom order is a Luke with Piezo in Vintage Sunburst. You never ever see Lukes with Piezo's (though JDOUGLEE's got one), and I've never seen any Luke in Vintage Sunburst.

This one is taking a bit longer as EB makes sure the wood on transparent finishes (like vinsun) is more visually stunning, perhaps indicating a higher quality piece. It's worth the wait as everyone will attest.

Keith

Hookpunch

Hi Estin, where did you see a used Silhouette for $450? That sounds like something I would be interested in.

Most of the used ones I saw back in '96 when I bought my Silhouette (and that was a whole 2), were pretty close to the price I paid for a new one , so for a little extra expense I ordered up my dream guitar, Ernie Ball delivered on everything I asked for.

GWDavis28

Hey, I was always told that EB/MM didn't do customs?? Is that just colors??

Hookpunch

I am not sure what is meant by "custom", when I ordered mine they had a list of options for the pickup configuration, neck wood, bridge etc. and of course the colour. You could pretty much have anything you wanted. I figure that was custom.

bing4sons

Typically "Custom" would mean building a guitar to your specifications, not just choosing your options.

I ordered a SS in order to choose the options that I wanted from a list of available options: Color from a color options list, piezo, fretboard preference, matching headstock, tremolo/stop tail, standard top/upgraded top.

If the guitar was custom, I could have said I wanted a set neck, Floyd Rose, any color, etc.

I've seen many SS's for sale with several of the options I chose, but none that had the same combination of options I chose.

Last edited:

Estin

thanks for the input guys, i really apreciate it. used silho's can be found on ebay for right around $450 to $500 near mint with hardcase. axis sports and super sports can be had for around $600-650 near mint with hardcase *bought my red quilt HH for $600 like brandnew* so whatch for the deals. the morse models and lukes seem to fetch a bit more but ebay is a hit and miss type of thing with killer deals. just be safe out there about the purchases guys.

Hookpunch

Hi Bing4sons - if that is the case then I would say that a custom Silhouette or custom Steve Morse does not really exist, if you make it a set neck, one cutaway, a different fret board radius and 22 instead of 24 frets then you have a different guitar, it may be a custom EBMM but its no longer a Silhouette.

tvanveen

Some options just aren't normally available. For example, you'll never see a Albert Lee with P-90's and a trem just hanging in a store, because those options aren't included in "normal" production runs. If you want those options, you have to order them.

Also, AL's just don't come up for sale that often.

Obviously some finishes are harder to find than others...

Estin

yeah i haven't ever seen a AL on ebay, i haven't looked but i still should have ran accross one at one time.

bing4sons

if that is the case then I would say that a custom Silhouette or custom Steve Morse does not really exist

I guess it's semantics. The guitar I ordered is customized to my groups of choices. I consider it "custom", because it has everything that I was looking for.

In the truest sense of a "custom shop", I would agree with your statement above. I can't order an Silhouette with a different width neck, or in floresent green, or with special inlays.

Shnook

There's usually one or two AL's a week on eBay. Last time I checked, which was the other day, there were two of them. Not a lot of them, but they are out there.

tvanveen

The last 2 weeks have seen a veritable blizzard of AL's on ebay.

(Blizzard = 3)

Since I've been checking there have been entire months with no AL's.

Top Bottom