• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

VOLTAGE

Many guys love these things and IIRC, VH has no legal claim on them?
everytime i ask steve over at dimarzio, he says he does not see it any time in the future:( and to just get the Tone zone and air norton:rolleyes:
Well many like myself HEAR a huge distinct difference between the TZ and axis bridge pup,the neck one is closer to a air norton so it is not as big of a deal but the bridge one:mad: :D
If anyone knows what has stopped EBMM and dimarzio from selling these as a production dimarzio,please tell:confused:

Derek

I doubt we will ever sell the pickups by themselves.
As long as I have worked here we have always been more interested in selling complete guitars
rather than selling guitar parts. The EVH/Axis pickups were created to compliment the overall design of the EVH guitar. The pickups are proprietary and available only as a warranty replacement for the EVH/Axis guitars. The Tone Zone and Air Norton were marketed for the guys who wanted to buy a very similar pickup for their non musicman models.

Derek

Derek

I guess I could make a fortune if I rob the pickups out of my Axis guitars and sold them. Then I could buy some Air Nortons and Tone Zones and put those in.

Yea Thats It!

VOLTAGE

Derek said:
I doubt we will ever sell the pickups by themselves.
As long as I have worked here we have always been more interested in selling complete guitars
rather than selling guitar parts. The EVH/Axis pickups were created to compliment the overall design of the EVH guitar. The pickups are proprietary and available only as a warranty replacement for the EVH/Axis guitars. The Tone Zone and Air Norton were marketed for the guys who wanted to buy a very similar pickup for their non musicman models.

Derek
derek, i was thinking dimarzio would do the selling of them(like the parker fly pups) and EBMM would just get a cut ya know?:D

Derek

Voltage,

I'm sure Di Marzio would love to do that but our agreement with them is the EVH/Axis pickups are only available on the guitar.

D

VOLTAGE

Derek said:
Voltage,

I'm sure Di Marzio would love to do that but our agreement with them is the EVH/Axis pickups are only available on the guitar.

D

:( oh well i guess it is Ebay for a set then:(

ratter

VOLTAGE said:
:( oh well i guess it is Ebay for a set then:(

I told you man, $500. :D

Actually, in all seriousness, I probably will put my EVH pickups on eBay. I prefer the Virtual PAF's, and I have no intentions of ever selling the guitar, so I'm not worried about resale.

What's a fair price, you think?

atomic punk

I have seen the bridge pups go for anywhere between $80 and $110 on thier own. I have never watched an auction for a pair, so I have no idea what that would go for. I guess it all depends on who is looking for the pups at that particular time.

ratter

The last pair I saw on ebay went for $305, and they're not even the real deal! :mad:

VOLTAGE

ratter said:
The last pair I saw on ebay went for $305, and they're not even the real deal! :mad:
Ratter, there are many other than me and you that dont know the real ID of the EVH pups:(
many paint the bases of a tone zone/air norton set and scam people.
the EVH set is very easy to indentify, forst off the have 3 conductor wire(the newer ones in the axis have 4) the rest of this is the following is same though
'under the bridge pup it has B1 and dimarzio pickups made in USA and NO STICKERS;)
the neck pup will also have the dimarzio name engraved and N 2 with one sticker.
on the older ones it is patent applied for round sticker (RED) and the newer is pat# 5,399,802(also red) this is the patent for it being a "air bucker"
the bridge pup is neither a air pup or a dual resonance model.
the problem with the tone zone and aor norton is BOTH have "dual resonance" coils and neither of the EVH one have .
mine read,
bridge 17.4K
neck 15.4K
and they are the best high output dimarzio's i have heard they are clean but mean!
:cool:

Last edited:

VOLTAGE

ratter said:
I told you man, $500. :D

Actually, in all seriousness, I probably will put my EVH pickups on eBay. I prefer the Virtual PAF's, and I have no intentions of ever selling the guitar, so I'm not worried about resale.

What's a fair price, you think?
I would go with a BIN of $300:)

VOLTAGE

ratter said:
I prefer the Virtual PAF's, and I have no intentions of ever selling the guitar, so I'm not worried about resale.
tell me ratter what is the tonal difference between the EVH's and the V paf's?
it is well known that VH wanted a PAF like tone from his custom wound pups and dimarzio achieved that no doubt,the custom wound bridge dimarzio has a clean,crisp harmonic laden tone with great drive,so what did the V paf bridge change?

ratter

VOLTAGE said:
tell me ratter what is the tonal difference between the EVH's and the V paf's?
it is well known that VH wanted a PAF like tone from his custom wound pups and dimarzio achieved that no doubt,the custom wound bridge dimarzio has a clean,crisp harmonic laden tone with great drive,so what did the V paf bridge change?

Best way I can describe it is the same tone with less output. Although the neck pickup is the tiniest bit darker and the bridge pickup is the tiniest bit brighter (VPAF compared to stock, I mean).

VOLTAGE

ratter said:
Best way I can describe it is the same tone with less output. Although the neck pickup is the tiniest bit darker and the bridge pickup is the tiniest bit brighter (VPAF compared to stock, I mean).
that great news ratter!:cool: so dimarzio really did get the P.A.F sound into a 17.5K bucker after all:eek: i thought when i played on it it always sounded very vintage P.A.F hot:D
I may pop a V paf in one of these days just to hear though:)

VOLTAGE

Btw i assume you are setting the V paf's much closer than the dimarzio EVH's were?

ratter

VOLTAGE said:
Btw i assume you are setting the V paf's much closer than the dimarzio EVH's were?

Nope, not at all - straight drop-in replacement. It takes a bit more work to play (unless you crank up the gain on your amp to compensate) but results in a better tone, IMO....*without* sacrificing the original tone of the guitar that we all know and love...

Top Bottom