• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mjstcdnce5

when i run a cable from my guitar to the amp, i get a constant hum unless i'm touching the jack. i've tried several cables with the same result or worse. some cables get the hum regardless. it's impossible to play while holding the jack at the same time... help!

Tollywood

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

1. It sounds like you've isolated the problem to the jack. You should inspect it for a loose fitting.

2. Or, if by touching it you are grounding it, you have a grounding issue. Check for that next.

Good luck!

mjstcdnce5

thanx for the welcome and the info. i'm a longtime keyboardist and kinda new to guitarring, so please bear with me.
ok, so what would i have to do? open up the jack and attach a wire from it to a screw in the guitar? or is it a more involved process than that?

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

1. It sounds like you've isolated the problem to the jack. You should inspect it for a loose fitting.

2. Or, if by touching it you are grounding it, you have a grounding issue. Check for that next.

Good luck!

beej

All of the grounds on the instrument should be connected. If you touch the strings, bridge, etc. you should also hear the noise going away. If you don't, likely a wire has come loose inside the control cavity. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can have a look - else take it to a tech.

doogieboy89

Your amp probably has a 3 prong electric plug. Go to hardware store and buy (couple of bucks) a 2 prong electrical adapter to plug 3 prong into then plug into electric outlet and see if the hum disappears. I did this on my PA and fixed the hum.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Welcome to the forum, Doogieboy! We really would like to keep your around here, and not have to open a memorial thread, so take the following as heartfelt advice...

Your amp probably has a 3 prong electric plug. Go to hardware store and buy (couple of bucks) a 2 prong electrical adapter to plug 3 prong into then plug into electric outlet and see if the hum disappears. I did this on my PA and fixed the hum.

Please DO NOT EVER remove the ground connection from an amplifier or PA system, either by a 2-prong adaptor or clipping the ground pin off an existing 3-pin adaptor. You are risking your life and the lives of every person who uses that PA with you. I know it is a common response to hum but it only hides the problem, does not solve it, and does so in the most dangerous manner.

Spudmurphy

Back in the 70's when I played in the PN Clun Munich I had such an electric shock from the PA, it was nasty - not nice, and I 100% agree with Dr Kev on this.

Top Bottom