• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

petebretzke

First, I love Music Man basses. I currently own two Sting Rays - a stock 2018 HH and a 2004 EBMM USA S.U.B that has been highly abused by its previous owner and restored/modified by me. The S.U.B. is my favorite/main bass and you'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands.
A couple of years ago, I think during the NAMM show, Sterling hinted that there might be a St. Vincent Bass variant in the works. I'm sure, like so many other things, the St. Vincent hadn't fully proved itself yet so a bass version was risky. That sucks. I get it, but I'd still like to see it.
Other things I'd like to see:
  1. A three-pickup bass of any shape and size! (Ala the St. Vincent Bass?)
  2. A re-issue (or limited run) of the Big Al SSS bass (I kick myself for not grabbing one when they weren't pushing $3K on the used market). To me, the Big Al is the sexiest bass to ever exist.
  3. A modernized "Special" version of the Sabre Bass - Special being like the Sting Ray Specials - updated contours, roasted necks, lighter hardware, updated pickups/pre-amp, etc.
  4. A Kaizen bass - maybe?
    • If no on any of the above, what about a Sterling by Music Man version? <hint hint wink wink>
  5. The ability to select hardware, paint color, and fret board combinations (Black hardware looks cool on the right bass, but I always prefer Nickel or Chrome with a rosewood fretboard)
  6. Something with a 32" scale - 30" scale basses are too 'rubbery'(?) for my preference
  7. Cream pickup covers
  8. A custom shop - I'll bust out the checkbook!
I know the market is fickle and EBMM is a business and has to do what businesses do - make money. I totally get it. BUT, I also want whatever the Bongo is. I'm not sure how the Bongo has had such an enduring tenure. It's beautiful, but weird when compared to everything else on the market. It's so far out of of the norm of what people typically seem to want... and it still sells! That's flipping innovation, my friends!

What else would you all like to see? No complaints, please - merely share your dreams... and possible suggestions :)

Honey-burst StingRay Special, maybe with a SLO neck :)

The story of how I got into bass is in my profile, and it (mostly) started with me on a honey-burst StingRay 4H with a maple fretboard. Even if it was only a Vault run, I would buy it immediately.

There was an amber-fade that Pitbull Audio had that would have worked, but I didn’t have the money at the time. I would just love to get the modern iteration of the bass that “started it all” for me.

Rod Trussbroken

I love when they offer a fretless version of whatever model. I appreciate that they make some available for people like me who prefer to play fretless. The StingRay on the right is a 30th Anniversary and I have never seen another fretless 30th.

https://flic.kr/p/2opsR5y
Nice Basses !

They also offered a Lined Fretless for the 30th as well. I have the Fretted and the Mahogany sure makes the 3EQ very smooth. I recall EB giving a breakdown of the numbers of each. I made a note but lost it. IIRC there very few fretless offered.

Tollywood

Nice Basses !

They also offered a Lined Fretless for the 30th as well. I have the Fretted and the Mahogany sure makes the 3EQ very smooth. I recall EB giving a breakdown of the numbers of each. I made a note but lost it. IIRC there very few fretless offered.
Thanks! Smooth is a good way to describe it. That was a very good run. The glossy transparent red birdseye maple neck was also a killer feature of that run.

petebretzke

Honey-burst StingRay Special, maybe with a SLO neck :)

The story of how I got into bass is in my profile, and it (mostly) started with me on a honey-burst StingRay 4H with a maple fretboard. Even if it was only a Vault run, I would buy it immediately.

There was an amber-fade that Pitbull Audio had that would have worked, but I didn’t have the money at the time. I would just love to get the modern iteration of the bass that “started it all” for me.
Ah! The SLO neck!!! How could I forget that? I’ve only played (but never owned) one SLO neck SR and thought it was amazing. It felt like a Jazz that I used to have years ago which was just better than any other I’ve played. That would be a killer option for all Sting Rays!

I’m really hoping for something new, innovative, and amazing coming out of NAMM this year. I mean I really like the signature models, BFRs, and limited stuff, but I really want another companion for the Sting Ray, Sterling, and Bongo. At the very least, I want to be able to select some color and hardware options instead of the very limited selections we can make today.

WhtMtnGrv

I’d love to see ANY new models or colors of the Sterlings. Add the option of a roasted (or even unroasted) birdseye maple neck and I’m throwing my cash at EBMM immediately.

Last edited:

petebretzke

Boy I hate to say it, but I'm really disappointed with the bass offerings this year. I love the Sting Rays. They are my all time favorite, but I really want something new - not just a new color.

Maybe next year, right?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I am over the damn moon about short scale Cobalt flats. It's like the bass gods giving me a tip of the hat for really starting to get into the bass. And the string winder with the bigger head for bass tuners is definitely gonna get some use! :)

petebretzke

I am over the damn moon about short scale Cobalt flats. It's like the bass gods giving me a tip of the hat for really starting to get into the bass. And the string winder with the bigger head for bass tuners is definitely gonna get some use! :)
You’re absolutely right, and Flat Guitar Strings, too! EBMM does good by us and I should recognize that. I just really wanted a new Bass of some sort. The short scale flatties are pretty awesome. I’ve got an old Music Master bass that is going to sound sooo sweet once I get those on there!

Top Bottom