• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Robbie Zhang

Hey guys I'm new here and I want to be a Musicman user.
I am planning to buy a Stingray 4 Special or a used stingray 4.
But I have a worry. I had bad experiences when I was using Fender and Sandberg basses. The long heads with 4 tuners in one row were pulled bent forward by the strings.
That didn't cause any problems in use but is just annoying. In fact, I like my Lakland SK460, which is a cheap bass, but with a thick headstock and a thick head-neck joint, the headstock is dead parallel with the fingerboard.
So I think If the Musicman Stingray 4's shorter headstock with a 3+1 tuner layout will get rid of this issue? Thanks~

Samoht

I’ve never seen this on any bass, and certainly not any of the EBMM basses I own or have played.

tbonesullivan

Are you sure the headstock is bent forward from the string pressure? Fender headstocks use string trees, so I'm not sure it really matters.

danny-79

Never heard of or seen a headstock bend forward. They generally don’t bend but brake.
But yes. The Stingray’s are rock solid

Creech

That must be some crazy high strung tuning to do that. Sounds more like abusing than using.

danny-79

Headstocks don’t bend they just break. Usually when the guitar/bass falls forward (falls off a stand for instance) and hits the ground on its nut, the pressure within the headstock usually causes the break. It won’t bend.
7ender headstocks do by design slant forward slightly so it could be that’s what you are describing is meant to be like that

Robbie Zhang

Thanks for everyone
I asked my friends who are using Stingray 4, and none of their Stingrays has this problem
I just bought a used Stingray 4H with a rift sawn neck, from Japan Yahoo, waiting for the result~

bovinehost

Administrator
Yeeeeeah, I don't even know how many Music Man basses I've owned....over a hundred, surely...and never heard of anything like this.

I think you're safe.

Robbie Zhang

the bending does not only appears when the headstock is pulled by string...
I remove the string (also the truss rod) and the bending is still there
I am going to send my neck to a luthier to treat it with heat and steam

tbonesullivan

the bending does not only appears when the headstock is pulled by string...
I remove the string (also the truss rod) and the bending is still there
I am going to send my neck to a luthier to treat it with heat and steam

Why? the second picture you posted looks like there is no bend at all. You are getting fooled by the angle.

And the "luthier" you find is probably going to look at you pretty strange when you ask him to "straighten the headstock". Since you are over at talkbass, I would recommend posting those pictures in the Luthier's forum, and see what they say before you look for someone to steam just the headstock, which is something I have never heard of anyone doing.

Last edited:

brash47

Your headstock is not bent. Your headstock in that photo shows a neck and headstock exactly as designed. If your getting bent on this and its really bugging you, you're never going to be convinced that its correct no matter what anyone tells you.

I'd worry more about playing than looking at a headstock. But if it's that aggregious to you, get a bass where the headstock is designed and bent backwards and you will be ok. Get a bass without a headstock and you will be fine.

One of these days your going to notice that the neck on your bass isn't straight either....and that's normal, and if your having issues with this, your gonna lose your mind when you notice that.....

Play, stop worrying about a headstock that's set up and looks like it's designed to.....

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

brash47

I looked really hard at the pics. I don't see any bending. Guitar headstock break as earlier posters said.

2 options.

1. If its bothering you this much, no matter what you do, you will always see the bend. Its in your head now and your convinced of it. Sell the bass because your always gonna be bugged by this.

2. Send the bass to EBMM and have them check it out. If its messed up, they can put a new neck on it. I'd send it there before having a guy steam the neck. They are the experts on their instruments.

If they send it back with a clean bill of health, are you really gonna be satisfied?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom