• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Haz007

Gday from down under, first time poster, long time lurker...
I wanted to ask the brains trust on whether a trade for a Y2D w/floating trem to a 20th anniversary silo would be a fair trade or not, and pros and cons of the silo.
I’m the lucky owner of the Y2D, but haven’t ‘fallen in love’ with it like I’d hoped.
Thanks for your help in advance! 🤘

GWDavis28

Welcome!!!!

The 20th Anniversary Silo was the introduction of the mahogany tone block. Limited run in Carmel Burst. I had one myself, really nice guitars, but I didn't get on with it personally. The Y2D has more pickup selections, where as the 20th is a pretty basic setup.

Both are great guitars, I've never owned a Y2D, but they have always interested me. I'm sure other might be able to add to the little I have.

Are you able to try it?

Good luck with the choice.

Glenn |B)

beej

They're quite different guitars. The Silo has 24 frets and a fuller neck profile, body contours, 2 pickups, standard (non-locking) bridge, not to mention the difference in pickups and woods.

Both are really great instruments, so it's more a matter of preference than pros and cons.

Price-wise, they're probably the same ballpark.

Pink

What beej said. If you have the luxury of laying hands on the Silo, all the better.

Big question to ask yourself is why the falling out? Is it the sound/tone, weight, balance, overall feel, looks, need/want different features? Silo looks greener on the other side of the fence?

Tone you can change, not so much the weight, neck profile or bridge hardware.

tbonesullivan

Does the 20th Anniversary Silo have the Axis pickups in it? I seem to recall they were the ones chosen.

What part of the Y2D are you not "bonding" with? The bridge? The sound? The pickup options?

PeteDuBaldo

I have both, and tend to use the 20th Anny Silo more often (backup stage guitar and for drop-d). It is a hardtail model w/ piezo and sounds incredible for lower tunings like D-standard, drop-C, ect.

My y2d is a Floyd (dive-only, one of the very first shipped) and while it's a true rock machine it hasn't been fitting into the lineup much lately.

NorM

The 20 anniv piezo Silo has an axis supersport switching system. I really prefer the standard silo piezo knob set up and placement
The Silo (standard) and the y2d knob placement are perfect to allow for volume and tone knob swells while playing.
To choose I would play both together and have some one else tell me which sounds better.
I can't choose.

Top Bottom