• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Grand Wazoo

Have you found a killer tone for your Stingray on your Mark Bass control panel? Please share it with us

This one below is my fav setting, it gives my Stingray 5 a clear distinct ballsy yet bright tone and I use it with the pickup selector in the middle position, I love that tone man!!

Myfavsetting.jpg

Here is a blank one for you to use to share your fav settings with us

Blanksetting.jpg

oli@bass

MarkBass F1 - Gain to max without clipping, VLE @ 8, VPF between Off and 9 depending on the bass and the room. Equalizer is used only to compensate for room sound.

BUT, I have a SansAmp RBI paired with my F1, and that colours the sound as well.

Generally I found that using the bass tone controlres and only tweaking the VLE and VPF on MarkBass amps is sufficient to get a lot of different tones.

Grand Wazoo

yeah but "Pseriously" Psycho, why don't you use that blank example I left and share your real perfect sound with other MB owners, we can all do trial and error and often we might find a setting used by someone else to be intersting. go on you can do it.

cheers matey ;)

recover82

Here's what I used last weekend when we played over at a friends house.
LM2.jpg

Several people gave positive feedback on both my bass and overall sound so I guess that'll do.

Grand Wazoo

Here's what I used last weekend when we played over at a friends house.
LM2.jpg

Several people gave positive feedback on both my bass and overall sound so I guess that'll do.

This is an interesting setting, very little gain but quite a lot of master volume, near flat eq, can you please tell me how did you set the 3 band EQ on the bass and which pickup combination did you use? Thanks

pbass2go

With the EBMM Bass's, everything flat (12 O'clock), filters all the way down. I tweak at the bass for the most part.

With the P, I lower the high-mid to about 10 O'clockand the low-mid to 11 O'clock, to smooth out the sound.

smallequestrian

Just a couple observations...The VLE and VPF knobs are very powerful. IME/O (and a lot of others) 11 o'clock is pushing the limits of their usefulness. Looking at the way your settings are at, basically you have introduced a lot of midscoop with the VPF . You have counteracted this by bumping the low mid quite a bit and lowering the lows a bit.

What it would seem you are achieving is a fairly flat sound with the treble trimmed down. I would imagine you could get something very similar by keeping everything flat and using the VLE around 10 c'clock or turning off the filters and turning down the treble to 10 o'clock.

Grand Wazoo

Just a couple observations...The VLE and VPF knobs are very powerful. IME/O (and a lot of others) 11 o'clock is pushing the limits of their usefulness. Looking at the way your settings are at, basically you have introduced a lot of midscoop with the VPF . You have counteracted this by bumping the low mid quite a bit and lowering the lows a bit.

What it would seem you are achieving is a fairly flat sound with the treble trimmed down. I would imagine you could get something very similar by keeping everything flat and using the VLE around 10 c'clock or turning off the filters and turning down the treble to 10 o'clock.

Thanks, but to which of the above settings are you referring to, mine or someone elses? Thanks again for clarifying.

Aussie Mark

Most of the time everything is flat on my LMII. Gain is set just below where the blue light comes on. The VLE is a great thing, but since I play with flats and the tweeters on my cabs dialled out, I've already got "VLE" in my fingers.

smallequestrian

Thanks, but to which of the above settings are you referring to, mine or someone elses? Thanks again for clarifying.

I was referring to your's in particular. If you like your sound, you like your sound, I just think you may be over processing your sound a bit with your settings. I can't tell you if it negatively effects your tone at all, but I do know that there is a lot of power in those filters and the Markbass guys in the past have said that a little goes a long way.

Grand Wazoo

I was referring to your's in particular. If you like your sound, you like your sound, I just think you may be over processing your sound a bit with your settings. I can't tell you if it negatively effects your tone at all, but I do know that there is a lot of power in those filters and the Markbass guys in the past have said that a little goes a long way.

Great piece of info, I appreciate your suggestion, which is exactly what I need to run a larger variety of settings, as I've said I've only had it less than a month and I have been using a Trace Elliot for over 17 years non stop with a graphic 12 band eq. It seems once you get used to those its difficult to adjust to rotary controls again.

Thanks
Fran

DanGouge

Sometimes I turn up the VPF filter a bit with my sterling to get a scoopy-tone for slapping etc, otherwise, I usually keep it pretty flat.

oli@bass

About those VLE & VPF filters: I was very reluctant to use those at the beginning. Simply because I never liked those push button pre-shape filters. To me, they were generally there to sound "spectacular" in a showroom setting. But the MarkBass incarnation of that idea is different, not only because the filters are variable, but they are also voiced very musically. Now, I love them because unlike standard equalizers, they work in musical terms like "more vintage sounding", "less nasal sounding".

I might be tempted to swap my F-1 for the new F-500 with variable EQ, because that is the perfect solution: Using the special filters to shape the sound an then have a semi-parametric EQ to adjust for room acoustics, especially bass resonances on stages.

recover82

This is an interesting setting, very little gain but quite a lot of master volume, near flat eq, can you please tell me how did you set the 3 band EQ on the bass and which pickup combination did you use? Thanks

The room had a lot of impact on why I rolled back the gain and boosted the master.
As far as pickups, I used the second position on my HH with just a small boost on the bass. Mids and Highs were flat.

DTG

Everything is flat on mine I dont use the VLE or VPF other than with one bass I use the VLE.

yup me too....keep it flat if i need yo adjust the sound i do it from the bass and leave the amp alone

Top Bottom