• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

silverman

What do you think is the best place to sell your gear?
In my experience, eBay is a great way to get scant advertising exposure, Craig's List is a great way to get in touch with overseas scammers, and Reverb is a great way to haggle with a bunch of unmotivated chiselers.

What has been your experience in selling nice gear for a fair price, without the headache?

Astrofreq

reverb.com

the fees are incredibly low compared to eBay. I do list on Craig's List, but most thinks sell on reverb faster and easier. For me, at least.

Plus, I tend to price everything a few dollars less than everyone else, so the stuff actually moves out the door.

beej

I've always had the best luck on Craigslist (or Kijiji here in Canada). But I'm in a big city, so that helps.

GWDavis28

I've sold on all, I just sold a guitar on Reverb, but happened upon a buyer via FailBook. They were looking for what I had, so I messaged the guy he bought it the next day. Craigslist, but only local and I hear you the Nigerian scammers.

Good luck, Glenn |B)

click track

I just purchased a guitar on Reverb and I was haggle free, as I asked for a close up picture of the frets, and once the seller replied, I immediately paid asking price / NTM Reflex thread to open soon.... With that said, all my other purchases on Reverb have been the same with maybe one question then asking price paid / that sight for now seems the best IMO.

As for me I tend to give gear away to younger players or buddies or just have Guitar Center give me a check on the spot.

spychocyco

I've had great experiences on Reverb buying and selling. eBay has been a mixed bag. As a buyer, I've noticed the descriptions on eBay tend to be a little less accurate. I've never gotten anything but scams on Craigslist and super lowball trade offers on Facebook. (I'm really interested in your Monarchy Majesty. I've got a First Act and a 10-watt Line 6 amp, would you trade for either? :) )

Last edited:

GWDavis28

(I'm really interested in your Monarchy Majesty. I've got a First Act and a 10-watt Line 6 amp, would you trade for either? :) )

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, OMG really, you must have been like, "SAY WHAT???".

Wow sorry to hear that, Glenn |B)

guertzi

Reverb.com
At this point in time there are mostly decent people who get in touch with you and the items I sold went for reasonable prices (don't know how this will develop but for now all is good).
The fees are really low in comparison to evil bay and payments can be made in various manners (PayPal, Credit Cards etc.).

spychocyco

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, OMG really, you must have been like, "SAY WHAT???".

Wow sorry to hear that, Glenn |B)

Well, that wasn't a real offer, just a slightly exaggerated example, but not by much. :) Every time I've posted anything on Facebook, I get a flood of offers of junk in trade and nothing else.

GWDavis28

Well, that wasn't a real offer, just a slightly exaggerated example, but not by much. :) Every time I've posted anything on Facebook, I get a flood of offers of junk in trade and nothing else.

I haven't done the FailBook thing, but I do review those threads and if someone is looking for something I have I point them to it on Reverb.

Glenn |B)

silverman

For me, Reverb left a bad taste in my mouth after I listed an offset mustang for the lowest price that I would take. I got messaged by many people, but they all wanted to chisel me down for seemingly insignificant amounts (Like 10$). I didn't take any offers, because I was a little offended by the disregard the potential buyers had for the "List price is final" written in my description.

I suppose I should have listed it for more than I wanted so people could have felt like they won out on a negotiation.

GWDavis28

For me, Reverb left a bad taste in my mouth after I listed an offset mustang for the lowest price that I would take. I got messaged by many people, but they all wanted to chisel me down for seemingly insignificant amounts (Like 10$). I didn't take any offers, because I was a little offended by the disregard the potential buyers had for the "List price is final" written in my description.

I suppose I should have listed it for more than I wanted so people could have felt like they won out on a negotiation.

I sold another brand and I got a bunch of lower offers I had it listed at a fair price and decided if doesn’t sell then I’ll just keep it I’m not giving it away. The art of the deal to tell people I scored this for way less than the guy was asking.

I hear you about how it works, but I’ll take Reverb over EvilBay any day.

Glenn |B)

JayDawg

I have a bunch of Music Man basses that I have just listed. Right now I have them on Reverb and a few Facebook pages. I was going to post them also on this forum but can’t get pics to load on here for some reason?

GWDavis28

I have a bunch of Music Man basses that I have just listed. Right now I have them on Reverb and a few Facebook pages. I was going to post them also on this forum but can’t get pics to load on here for some reason?

Jay are you trying to PhotoBucket? If so, you have to pay in order to be able to post them places I dumped my account after almost 20 years.

Glenn |B)

spychocyco

I almost always list for at least $50-$75 more than what I actually want and check the Make an Offer button. Every item I've sold has gone for at least what I really wanted to get out of it, and a couple for more. I got a full price offer on one guitar that was $100 over what I was hoping to get out of it. You've got to play the game, but fortunately, it's pretty easy to win. :)

spychocyco

I'm just not built for haggling.

I know the feeling. I despise buying a car and always feel like I got cheated. I don't haggle, though. If the offer hits the price I've got in mind, I accept. If not, I decline. Same thing when I'm buying from someone. I offer what I'm willing to pay. If they accept it, we do the deal, if not, I move on.

Top Bottom