• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bellaswail

Hello, first time poster here.

I am about to pull the trigger on a Majesty. I have been a diehard DT fan since Scenes, and I have always loved JP's tones and his line of guitars.

I really love the Glacial Frost 2018 model, and it is a good bit cheaper than the 2019 line. It's right around $2800, compared to $3500 for a 2019 model.

I am still not opposed to getting a 2019, but it would be nice to save almost $700. I'm just wondering - are the upgrades for the latest line worth the extra money?

I also noticed that the 2019 Stealth Black is around $3000, since it is using less expensive woods in some areas.

If I went with the 2018, what would I be sacrificing? Aside from the wood, could someone contrast the tangible differences in the 3 models I mentioned? - The 2019 Enchanted Forest, 2019 Stealth Black, and 2018 Glacial Frost.

Thank you!

johnnyboogie

Hello!!

Tangible difference would be the pickups. Keep in mind you can always swap pickups. I haven't heard the new pickup set (Dream Catcher & Rain Maker), but the Illuminator set is grand for high gain sounds etc. It's also superb for clean piano-like arpegiated chords.

As far as the wood is concerned, the most expensive wood used in the construction of the Majesty is ebony. All models use ebony board. The only difference in wood selection is the wings of the body. Some use African Mahogany (Enchanted Forest), some basswood (Glacial Frost, Stealth Black). Rest assured the difference in price does not concern the wood selection. It's probably the case that they charge a bit extra for the figured flame maple top they use on the Enchanted Forest.

I can tell you that the Glacial Frost White is an amazing finish that cannot be appreciated via photos. Only in person. Especially if you get the one with the all-black hardware.

bellaswail

Hey Johnny, thanks so much for the excellent, detailed reply!

You've pretty much nailed all of my questions. It's great to know that a lot of the extra cost in the 2019 models is likely due to the flame maple top. While this does look great, it's assuring that I wouldn't be sacrificing tone or feel by getting a less expensive model.

And that's awesome that the Glacial Frost guitar looks great in person. The one I was looking at does indeed have the black hardware. I see you have quite the collection of JP's guitars - which is your favorite?

Roxy

I like the look of the original Majesty the best. The laser-etched maple top is so unique. Flame tops have been around since the 1950's. I bet the tones are similar, or can be EQ'ed close enough The pickups are set into the one-piece mahogany neck/body. I can't imagine the wings play a huge part in the tone. The finish may cause more of a difference. Anyways, I'd save the $700. I added a JP16 to my collection recently because it was on clearance from GC. Saved $700 as well, and it's awesome! I like the Sonic Ecstasy pickups better than the Illuminators, but not enough to modify my Majesties. It could also be the woods or Floyd Rose that make the tone much more aggressive. The variety is great!

bellaswail

Hey Roxy, thank you for the info!

It really does sound like wouldn't be missing out on too much with the latest model. At least not $700 worth. Plus, as you mentioned I just love the more solid color look of the laser-etched models.

How would you say the JP16 compares to the Majesty in terms of feel and ease of play?

Roxy

The BFR body shape: (X, XI, XII, XIII, XV, XVI) is my favorite. The horns are smaller than the original JP. The original BFR in 2006 had one smaller horn. The feel and ease of play (JP15, JP16) are very similar to the Majesty (same radius). The JP15 is my favorite overall. It's incredible. It has that vintage/modern vibe. The JP16 Floyd Rose stays in tune the best, and offers the most aggressive/metal type tones. The Majesty is all about being ultra modern. Nothing like it. In general, it seems many players like the JP15 the best. Or, it just reaches a wider audience. The vintage players seem to dig it.

johnnyboogie

Hey Johnny, thanks so much for the excellent, detailed reply!

You've pretty much nailed all of my questions. It's great to know that a lot of the extra cost in the 2019 models is likely due to the flame maple top. While this does look great, it's assuring that I wouldn't be sacrificing tone or feel by getting a less expensive model.

And that's awesome that the Glacial Frost guitar looks great in person. The one I was looking at does indeed have the black hardware. I see you have quite the collection of JP's guitars - which is your favorite?

No problem!! I can talk JP guitars all day =D

You are certainly not sacrificing tone or feel. All Majesty models are basically the same guitar with pickups being the only essential difference. The original Majesty's difference with the Artisan and Monarchy line was simply the wings. Basswood vs. African Mahogany. That's most likely due to the fact that the Artisan and Monarchy came with a translucent finish and using basswood around the Honduran mahogany would beat the purpose.

The same goes for the six new models, four of which are exactly the same as an Artisan or a Monarchy (simply glossy finished in their entirety) and two are exactly the same as the Original Majesty (Kinetic Blue, Stealth Black).

My favourite body shape is the JPX onwards like Roxy says. It's basically the best body I've seen on a guitar so far. The Majesty comes second with a tiny difference, but as far as playability and comfort is concerned the Majesty is simply what the name says; Reigning King. It's also super lightweight. My favourite JP for the moment is the Charred Silver Majesty. It's a finish I have always been dreaming of and they finally made it happen. The Frost is something else too. Super beautiful guitar, that glazed white with pearloid texture is simply fantastic.

bellaswail

The BFR body shape: (X, XI, XII, XIII, XV, XVI) is my favorite. The horns are smaller than the original JP. The original BFR in 2006 had one smaller horn. The feel and ease of play (JP15, JP16) are very similar to the Majesty (same radius). The JP15 is my favorite overall. It's incredible. It has that vintage/modern vibe. The JP16 Floyd Rose stays in tune the best, and offers the most aggressive/metal type tones. The Majesty is all about being ultra modern. Nothing like it. In general, it seems many players like the JP15 the best. Or, it just reaches a wider audience. The vintage players seem to dig it.

Great to know - was always wondering about the BFR.

I will definitely need to try out a JP model. Just checked and I didn't realize that the JP16 could be had for around $1700. Definitely a big plus! Though I'm not sure that I would want a Floyd Rose. I do love how they stay in tune, but I resent them when it's time to change strings. Still though, at around half the cost of a new Majesty, it's worth checking out.

Thanks again for the info!

Jesse.Daly

Hello, first time poster here.

I am about to pull the trigger on a Majesty. I have been a diehard DT fan since Scenes, and I have always loved JP's tones and his line of guitars.

I really love the Glacial Frost 2018 model, and it is a good bit cheaper than the 2019 line. It's right around $2800, compared to $3500 for a 2019 model.

I am still not opposed to getting a 2019, but it would be nice to save almost $700. I'm just wondering - are the upgrades for the latest line worth the extra money?

I also noticed that the 2019 Stealth Black is around $3000, since it is using less expensive woods in some areas.

If I went with the 2018, what would I be sacrificing? Aside from the wood, could someone contrast the tangible differences in the 3 models I mentioned? - The 2019 Enchanted Forest, 2019 Stealth Black, and 2018 Glacial Frost.

Thank you!

It's also worth noting that the finish on the back and neck is satin up until 2019. All the 2019 are finished in polyurethane all the way around. I personally opted for the 2019 model but I like poly necks, and feel that in my harsh semi arid mountain climate the necks might be a bit more stable that way. But mostly I went for a 2019 because the enchanted forest color was calling to me, the pickups were really 3rd down the list of reasons for me personally.

bellaswail

No problem!! I can talk JP guitars all day =D

You are certainly not sacrificing tone or feel. All Majesty models are basically the same guitar with pickups being the only essential difference. The original Majesty's difference with the Artisan and Monarchy line was simply the wings. Basswood vs. African Mahogany. That's most likely due to the fact that the Artisan and Monarchy came with a translucent finish and using basswood around the Honduran mahogany would beat the purpose.

The same goes for the six new models, four of which are exactly the same as an Artisan or a Monarchy (simply glossy finished in their entirety) and two are exactly the same as the Original Majesty (Kinetic Blue, Stealth Black).

My favourite body shape is the JPX onwards like Roxy says. It's basically the best body I've seen on a guitar so far. The Majesty comes second with a tiny difference, but as far as playability and comfort is concerned the Majesty is simply what the name says; Reigning King. It's also super lightweight. My favourite JP for the moment is the Charred Silver Majesty. It's a finish I have always been dreaming of and they finally made it happen. The Frost is something else too. Super beautiful guitar, that glazed white with pearloid texture is simply fantastic.

Hello, I replied to this yesterday but for some reason I do not see the post here. I wonder if I was maybe logged out before I hit the post button as I was having issues staying logged in.

Anyway, thanks it's so good to know the details of the Artisan and Monarchy. Was always wondering about that.

I am loving the idea of the Monarchy being lightweight. It's one of those things I never really thought would be important to me, but I have this feeling that it will be a game changer (pun intended) for my comfort while playing.

And as far as the Majesty's playability, that will be a HUGE determining factor for me as this is easily the most important trait for me, followed by tone.

The Charred Silver looks nice! I also recently discovered the Silver Lining. Silver is probably my favorite color, so the Silver Lining is now on my list among the Glacial Frost and Stealth Black. Signs are pointing toward the Frost though, because I want to use a site that has interest free financing and they don't seem to stock this color.

bellaswail

It's also worth noting that the finish on the back and neck is satin up until 2019. All the 2019 are finished in polyurethane all the way around. I personally opted for the 2019 model but I like poly necks, and feel that in my harsh semi arid mountain climate the necks might be a bit more stable that way. But mostly I went for a 2019 because the enchanted forest color was calling to me, the pickups were really 3rd down the list of reasons for me personally.

Great - thanks for the info! Absolutely love the Enchanted Forest color. I used to have a green PRS Cusotm 24 10 Top but it was always a little on the bright green side, and always wished it was more of a forest green.

The Enchanted Forest is certainly on my list, but it won't be in stock for a month so I would need to exhibit some patience, ha!

lifeson1

I've had three Maj's, in addition to the slew of JP's from the original thru BFR to Anniv series, and they all share much of the same tonal footprint, with different aesthetics, and slight 'tweaks' to the dna. But it's all JP in there, that's for sure.

I'm actually going full circle by picking up a JP7, to compliment my Artisan Marrone Maj (which to me is the classiest looking one). I have NOT had a JP original SINCE a pearl red burst from the original 100. . . feels like a lifetime ago.

The JP16 blowouts are an easy steal, and they play great. I prefer non finished necks, but wouldn't let that dissuade you from the right deal on a 2018-19.

I, for one, am glad they are reducing the models to just a 'few' now, so there are fewer ways that I can throw my money out there. Personally, the Majesty is just the tonal Swiss army knife that can cover all the territory you need it to, and then some. I think that in the next 'age of guitars', that it will be a staple in the continuing evolution of the electric guitar.

lood

I was debating between ordering an enchanted forest one or trying to get a monarchy for a 7 string majesty. Eventually I went with the Majestic Purple Monarchy mostly because it was in stock and I didn't want to wait for the new ones to arrive. (I live out of the states, last time I ordered a guitar from MM it took 15 months!!!! to get it).

Honestly other than color, the difference is so small (Monarchy vs 2019 non opaque models) that I'd just go with whatever looks better to you. (Unless the gloss/matte neck is a deal breaker for you in this case it's easier to choose).
The JP pickups can be easily replaced with any other Dimazrio model (no soldering needed).
Also note that pre 2019 model have mirror inlays (some hates it, some likes it - definitely easier to see on a dark stage).

In my opinion the Monarchy sounds way darker than the firs majesty series (basswood + illuminators vs mahogany + sonic ecstasy). I own both and did a lot of comparing between the 2.

Either way, you wont be disappointed!

johnnyboogie

Hello, I replied to this yesterday but for some reason I do not see the post here. I wonder if I was maybe logged out before I hit the post button as I was having issues staying logged in.

Anyway, thanks it's so good to know the details of the Artisan and Monarchy. Was always wondering about that.

I am loving the idea of the Monarchy being lightweight. It's one of those things I never really thought would be important to me, but I have this feeling that it will be a game changer (pun intended) for my comfort while playing.

And as far as the Majesty's playability, that will be a HUGE determining factor for me as this is easily the most important trait for me, followed by tone.

The Charred Silver looks nice! I also recently discovered the Silver Lining. Silver is probably my favorite color, so the Silver Lining is now on my list among the Glacial Frost and Stealth Black. Signs are pointing toward the Frost though, because I want to use a site that has interest free financing and they don't seem to stock this color.

No problem!! =D

Go for the Frost with black hardware, epic looking guitar. It has a unique mecha look.

Tonally speaking I prefer the Sonic Ecstasy pickups to the Illuminators because they are more scooped and 'dark' oriented. The Illuminators are more on the bright side of the Force. However, you can always swap pickups and experiment until you find your favourites.

LordRiffenstein

I think the Monarchy Majesties look better than the 2019 options. I don't think the changes made between the years make them better or worse, just different.

Pickups can be swapped but I would take a close look at the specific routing for the Majesty, the JP 15 can't take standard sized pickups so there is more work than just soldering if you're looking to change. I wouldn't say that's a $700 obstacle though.

bellaswail

Thanks again everyone! I've decided to go with the Glacial Frost. Always loved white guitars with black.
But frist, I'm going to take a trip to Guitar Center in hopes that they have one of any color I can demo. I'm inclined to just pull the trigger without even playing it based on the incredible things I've heard, but this would probably not be wise.

lifeson1: Thanks for the advice + info! While the JP16 does sound sweet for the price, I think the Majesty is just calling my name. Also, very interesting to know that the Monarchy sounds darker. I really hope I can demo both at a local guitar store so I can hear this difference.

lood: That is AWESOME that you got the purple one. One of my favorites - it looks so good from the pictures I've seen. I've grown to quite like purple in general over the years.

Bane75

GC is clearing out the Majesty's in Arctic Dream for $2200. The Crimson and Gold are a few hundred more. Might want to take a look before paying..

bellaswail

Just pulled the trigger!

I really wanted the Glacial Frost bad. But I gave it a few days to think about it, and I'm pretty happy I did.

Today, Musician's Friend ran a sale on a brand new 2017 (ha, oxymoron?) Polar Noir (not my favorite color, but I don't hate it) for $1899 so I grabbed it. I REALLY wanted to spend the extra $300 on a Majestic Purple for $2199, which was also on sale. But if I don't like the Polar Noir, I have 45 days to take it back and grab the purple if it's still available.

Now I'm not sure if these deals are common, but I've been looking everywhere at Majesties (Reverb, eBay, ZZounds, American Musical, etc) over the past couple of weeks, and haven't really seen anything new for less than $2300 or so. I'm assuming one site or the other runs these deals every so often? Or do they only do it because the 2017 is 2 years old now that the 2019's are out?

Anyway, thanks for everyone's advice on this thread. I would have ended up spending an extra $1000, thinking that the 2018 was way better. But a lot of people clued me in that they all share a lot of similarities.

bellaswail

GC is clearing out the Majesty's in Arctic Dream for $2200. The Crimson and Gold are a few hundred more. Might want to take a look before paying..

Ah thank you! I totally missed your response as I didn't check the forum yesterday.

I stumbled across a sale on Musician's Friend today. They had the Polar Noir for $1900, so I grabbed that. Very happy I didn't just grab the Glacial Frost for $2900 too quickly last week, although I like the white a LOT better than the black. But for $1000 less, I'll settle.

Thanks again for the heads up

Top Bottom