• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

King Vendrick

Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the right place but after a good while of thinking about it, I decided I'd like to finally purchase my first John Petrucci signature guitar in the form of a Sterling. I live in a country where these guitars are hard to come by. You get a lot of Ibanez and Jacksons and Fenders, but Music Man is rarer in stores. A store here has a Sterling JP100 in the three tone sunburst finish and I believe this is a model from 2013. It's an older model but it looks like it's in pristine condition from the pictures. They also have a newer JP60 in the Mystic Dream finish. Both look like nice options but because of the pandemic I'm currently not able to visit the store because they're quite a distance away from where I live, they're situated in a large mall where many people go everyday and I don't want to take any sort of risks atm by going out into public places. They can, however, deliver one of the guitars to my home where I can pay on delivery after checking out the guitar and testing it for a bit. I'd love to go out and get a feel for both of these guitars, but at the moment that's not feasible.

Both look like great options and I like the beautiful sunburst finish on the older JP100 but I also love the Mystic Dream finish on the JP60. I know that's a classic finish. Here's a Reverb listing I found for it. Has all the info except where it's manufactured.

Sterling Music Man JP60-mdr2 John Petrucci Guitar Mystic | Reverb

My questions are, is this model made in Indonesia and are the pickups the same between both these guitars? I know the JP100 was made in Indonesia, but I can't find any info about where these JP60MDR2 models were made, at least not on the front page of Google or on the Sterling site. The Sterling site doesn't seem to specify the MDR2 in the model name either, just the JP60. Does the MDR2 denote a newer model of the JP60? Also, I understand both it and the JP100 have in house SBMM pickups. Are the pickups the exact same between these two then? The other specs for both these guitars seem mostly similar so I suppose it ultimately comes down to which one I prefer aesthetically if the pickups are the exact same. Long time Petrucci fan here, been admiring the EBMM JPs and Sterling JPs for a long time, this is my chance to buy one in my country, so I'm just curious about some of these specific details. Cheers, and thanks for taking your time to read all of this.

johnnyboogie

I suggest you buy the one you like the most aesthetically.

You can always swap pickups in order to find the tone you like the most.

King Vendrick

I suggest you buy the one you like the most aesthetically.

You can always swap pickups in order to find the tone you like the most.

Appreciate the answer. I'm just curious if these pickups have any bit of difference at all or if they're the exact same in house pickups with the exact same tonal characteristics. I suppose in the long run I could just put in some Dimarzios.

I asked the store and they confirmed that the JP60 model was made in Indonesia. Nothing against Indonesian made instruments, was just curious. But yes, I'm just gonna go by aesthetics. By tomorrow I should have one of these guitars and post a NGD thread. Cheers

Top Bottom