• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Clyde

Is that normal? I was expecting this guitar to be much lighter. Even the marketing copy describes the guitar as lightweight and to me, any guitar over 8lbs is not lightweight. This is a brand new Albert Lee SSS in tobacco burst.

Clyde

Can’t say for sure. It’s been a long time since I had my AL. Congrats though! So play standing up a lot?

Thanks! Yes, when I practice I try to do it standing up mostly since I sit all day for work. The weight isn’t a deal breaker. I just had different expectations from what I’d read. Still, very positive impression of the guitar so far. I’ll have to post a proper NGD when I have time.

Sweat

Does seem heavy, mine which was the NAMM demo when they introduced this color is light maybe 6 1/2 pounds tops, most likely more towards 6 pounds, I have nothing to weigh it on but definitely not an 8 pound + guitar.

Yep pics are needed. Heres mine

ACyNs3Y.jpg

Clyde

Wow, I love that pickguard! Where’d you get it? Beautiful guitar.

Here’s a quick pic of mine.

pv7xubE

Attachments

• IMG_4077.jpg
    IMG_4077.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Sweat

Yep that's what mine looked liked when I received it. Pickguard is black pearloid from Chandlers ( pickguard heaven) plus I upgraded the knobs, tone and volume pots and added the SD hotrail. Also mine is basically a hardtail as I had DuBaldo Music lock down the trem

xjbebop

I'm pretty sure that's unusually portly for an AL, although the newest one in my herd is the Starry Night from a few years ago. Personally, I'd see about exchanging it for another since it's a new model. I just don't care for heavy gittars.

Clyde

I'm pretty sure that's unusually portly for an AL, although the newest one in my herd is the Starry Night from a few years ago. Personally, I'd see about exchanging it for another since it's a new model. I just don't care for heavy gittars.
I'm not sure that's an option, unfortunately. I bought it from a small shop. It was their only one and they don't do refunds. Only credits.

xjbebop

I'm not sure that's an option, unfortunately. I bought it from a small shop. It was their only one and they don't do refunds. Only credits.

Yep... understood. As long as you can be happy with it, that's all that matters.
Got me curious though, along with Magic's comment... I'm gonna have to actually weigh a few of mine later when I get time, out of curiosity.

behrens

Pretty heavy. I just sold my 2013 and it was only 6lbs. 8oz. That said, it did have a hardtail. YMMV.
I remember Mike Einzinger from Incubus saying how much he loved it because it was light, too.

GWDavis28

I once owned a Gibson Lucille. It was just above a ton. And a half. We cannot complain with our MM.

Hahahahahahahaha, I've owned 2 guitars prior to my EBMM's. One was a Hodno strat copy, it was average weight and the other was a Ibanez ST-50 and it was heavier that the EBMM's. I personally find the EBMM's just right for me, but I have honestly never weighed one of them.

Glenn |B)

Clyde

Varies a lot! My 2016 Starry Night is feather-light while my BFR and my MM90 are heavy as dead horses.

Good to know maybe mine isn’t such an anomaly. Of all the ones I could find for sale on reverb that listed weight, they seemed to be between 6 1/2 and 7 1/4 lbs. Maybe there’s a reason why some aren’t listing the weight. ;)

Clyde

Hahahahahahahaha, I've owned 2 guitars prior to my EBMM's. One was a Hodno strat copy, it was average weight and the other was a Ibanez ST-50 and it was heavier that the EBMM's. I personally find the EBMM's just right for me, but I have honestly never weighed one of them.

Glenn |B)

Yeah the EBMMs I’ve owned and played in stores have all been pretty light compared to say Fender. This guitar is different though. Even my wife picked it up and commented how heavy it was before I said anything about the weight. It feels kind of like handling a Les Paul (but much better ergonomics). The guitar sounds fantastic though.

Clyde

Are the fingerboard edges rolled on your Als with maple boards? Mine are not at all and I was wondering if that was normal. That were rolled on my Cutlass nicely but that was a rosewood board.

Spudmurphy

Yes that seems heavy - I have played lots of Als too.
My 2006 Limited Edition is the heaviest Albert I have owned, but it was made from a diiferent wood to the norm.

Clyde

Early BFR's are heavier - presumably because of the toneblock, - but yes that does seem heavy, - checked a 2nd set of scales?
I think the one I have is pretty accurate. I have several other guitars that I purchased with advertised weights and my scale pretty much says the same thing. The guitar just feels really heavy. When I first sat it in the scale I was sure it was going to be over nine pounds.

Top Bottom