• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Stratty316

Looks like Dimarzio just released the Axis pickups for sale...

Attachments

• 25D87AFA-6671-41CD-8E79-1465EFBEB55E.jpg
    25D87AFA-6671-41CD-8E79-1465EFBEB55E.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 185

jayjayjay

Gotta say, that's a pretty good fake. You have to really zoom in to see where the text doesn't quite line up.

Looks like you used The Tone Zone pup for the image.

Stratty316

Gotta say, that's a pretty good fake. You have to really zoom in to see where the text doesn't quite line up.

Looks like you used The Tone Zone pup for the image.

I can’t take credit for the photo. I thought it would go over well here though... I had a “oh ****, got to order one” moment for a split second before remembering what today was...

dibart77

HAH! Oh, a wise guy, eh? Why I oughtta....

You totally got me. I thought it was something like the original deal had a 30 year exclusivity clause and it just expired so DiMarzio made it available...

edhalen

HAH! Oh, a wise guy, eh? Why I oughtta....

You totally got me. I thought it was something like the original deal had a 30 year exclusivity clause and it just expired so DiMarzio made it available...

😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jayjayjay

I can’t take credit for the photo. I thought it would go over well here though... I had a “oh ****, got to order one” moment for a split second before remembering what today was...

Hah! It got me browsing around on DiMarzio's site to be sure. Thinking about swapping the pups in one of my SbMM Axis. The stock are hot, don't sound too bad, but certainly don't have the refinement of the pups in my EBMM Axis.

Any suggestions? Doesn't need to be identical to the EBMM Axis. I was eyeing the Titan bridge. And I love the look of the pup covers on my EBMM (BFR, so it has the chrome covers), so I may go with that style.

tbonesullivan

Any suggestions? Doesn't need to be identical to the EBMM Axis. I was eyeing the Titan bridge. And I love the look of the pup covers on my EBMM (BFR, so it has the chrome covers), so I may go with that style.
Well, if you want the closest thing that they make, that would be a Tone Zone Bridge and Air Norton Neck.

During the EVH Development, the two finalists were A and B. They were mostly identical except the A had mismatched coils, the "dual resonance" idea that Dimarzio developed. The B was matched coils.

EVH chose B. The A became The Tone Zone.

banjoplayer

haha,...for a moment.... just ~4 weeks ago I bought a set of AL HH-buckers 2nd hand to fit them in my SUB1. They match that guitar perfectly - but I bought them because I knew of their exclusivity

hbucker

Well, if you want the closest thing that they make, that would be a Tone Zone Bridge and Air Norton Neck.

During the EVH Development, the two finalists were A and B. They were mostly identical except the A had mismatched coils, the "dual resonance" idea that Dimarzio developed. The B was matched coils.

To the O.P.: You suck!

tBone: In stock form, the TZ sounds nothing like the bridge pickup in my EVH. Air Norton isn't too far off of the neck in my EVH. I understand there are mods you can do to the TZ to make it "identical" to the Axis/EVH DiMarzio. But in stock form they simply don't compare in my experience - Which is 2 different TZ's in 3 different guitars.

A generic hot PAF is closer, IMO. And fwiw.

jayjayjay

Thanks! I think I recall in that lengthy flyer from DiMarzio about the A and B options, w/ EVH selection B. The dual resonance idea sounds intriguing to me, though. I'm not necessarily going for matching EVH specs, but the Tone Zone looks interesting.

Any thoughts on the Titan series? Too bad there isn't a way to demo the various pickup sounds - feels like flying blind.

tbonesullivan

Several years back, DiMarzio started saying that the Andy Timmons AT-1 was the closest bridge pickup equivalent.
Yes, I recall you saying that the coils are identical to the B1, but it has the "air" treatment which reduces output and makes it more "vintage".

Dimarzio really did start doing a bunch of interesting things after the development of the EVH pickups. Both the "Dual Resonance" and "Air" treatment were developed for EVH's needs. I know a lot of makers now make a point to have "mismatched coils for a vintage sound" with a lot of their pickups.

fbecir

The Tone Zone / Air Norton is a great combination. Besides, they are also great when you split them.

fbecir

haha,...for a moment.... just ~4 weeks ago I bought a set of AL HH-buckers 2nd hand to fit them in my SUB1. They match that guitar perfectly - but I bought them because I knew of their exclusivity

If I remember well, you had Morse pickups in your SUB (like me by the way ;)).
Why did you decide to change ?

Recently, I installed a push / pull in order to split the Morse humbuckers and I am quite happy with the result.

Top Bottom