• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mikeller

(So far) I have a show scheduled tonight at an outdoor venue 8-11PM. Local temps today predicted for a high of 55 with winds (effectively upper 40's) and will be a few degrees cooler by starting time.

I am very careful with my gear. That said, my Luke's work extremely well for me and for the material we play.

Would you all be reluctant to bring your favorite(s) out in that situation or am I just being overly anal about it????

Thank you :)

PeteDuBaldo

(So far) I have a show scheduled tonight at an outdoor venue 8-11PM. Local temps today predicted for a high of 55 with winds (effectively upper 40's) and will be a few degrees cooler by starting time.

I am very careful with my gear. That said, my Luke's work extremely well for me and for the material we play.

Would you all be reluctant to bring your favorite(s) out in that situation or am I just being overly anal about it????

Thank you :)

I was in the same boat for tonight as well in central CT - Outdoor gig (restaurant/bar) starting at 8PM with a high of 51* and temperatures dropping into the 40s after sundown. I am also very careful with my gear, but was was not planning to bring anything less than normal - 2 JPs and the Silo Double Neck.

Fortunately our singer convinced them to move us inside as of yesterday afternoon.

My take on it is this - if I am going to be uncomfortable due to climate then I make sure I play a guitar that I am most comfortable on, so the climate doesn't mess with me as much.

fbecir

Mike,

The problem, it is not your gear, but your fingers. It is really awful too play with cold fingers. No feeling at all. If you have a portable heater, time to use it.

beej

I've played outside in some crappy weather. Personally I don't really worry about the impact on the guitar. Like Pete says, picking a guitar you're comfortable on is key.

Mace13

I've played mid-40s gigs with my JPXI and the guitar has been fine. I did leave the guitar in the case outside a while to acclimate and did the same when bringing it back inside. That way, the temperature change is more gradual. I also wore a bicycle glove on my left hand to help keep the fretting hand less frozen!

ohbugger

How did the shows go?

A little late, but on the playability side of things, I've started to always have the right allen wrench (or something else small/long enough) in my kit to make minor truss rod adjustments as the instruments acclimate to any extreme temperature change like that.

Aside from that, I do understand the concern about potential hairline paint/joint cracks as the wood expands or contracts abruptly... so I'd maybe take my "B gear" and leave the "A gear" at home!

mikeller

How did the shows go?

A little late, but on the playability side of things, I've started to always have the right allen wrench (or something else small/long enough) in my kit to make minor truss rod adjustments as the instruments acclimate to any extreme temperature change like that.

Aside from that, I do understand the concern about potential hairline paint/joint cracks as the wood expands or contracts abruptly... so I'd maybe take my "B gear" and leave the "A gear" at home!

Thank you for asking - it went better than expected - our vocalist brought a pair of propane heaters to keep the area decent. Our local temps had a big swing from 15-20 degrees above normal for a week, falling to 20 degrees below normal for one day (yesterday)LOL. Never know what that can do to a crowd, but it was the first show since last September and was well attended so it was all good.

elvisdog

Outdoor shows summer before last: Hot Springs afternoon sun and 90 degrees on a stage with 3 sides closed off & in direct sun. Hot as hell but the Cutlass stayed in tune. Yaak Fest two weeks later, 11 p.m. set, light misty rain and 40 degrees -- was that snow? but the Cutlass stayed in tune. This thing is amazing.

mikeller

Outdoor shows summer before last: Hot Springs afternoon sun and 90 degrees on a stage with 3 sides closed off & in direct sun. Hot as hell but the Cutlass stayed in tune. Yaak Fest two weeks later, 11 p.m. set, light misty rain and 40 degrees -- was that snow? but the Cutlass stayed in tune. This thing is amazing.

Yes they are. Same with my L3's. Perfect everytime!!

ohbugger

Thank you for asking - it went better than expected - our vocalist brought a pair of propane heaters to keep the area decent. Our local temps had a big swing from 15-20 degrees above normal for a week, falling to 20 degrees below normal for one day (yesterday)LOL. Never know what that can do to a crowd, but it was the first show since last September and was well attended so it was all good.

Very good! And I know I'd be the guy right next to one of the propane heaters. LOL

jayjayjay

I think colder temps would be more of a problem if the guitar had a nitro finish. Those finishes will check if the temps are changed too quickly (then again, my understanding is that's part of the appeal of a nitro finish). EBMM uses, I believe, polyester finishes for pretty much their whole line-up these days. Polyester finishes are much more resistant to temp changes (I believe polyurethane finishes are similarly robust), so I doubt the cold weather is going to affect them much.

Top Bottom