• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

BadHorseyroy

I recently purchased a Purple Majesty from where I work and customer service was very kind and sent the updated Preamp and Electronics but kept the original Pickups. I have noticed when playing this guitar live , It sounds very Bright, Thin and Brittle compared to my Les Pauls and EVH. I'm concerned the Majesty is just not a good match for my set up. The Piezo is almost Un usable
I play a Marshall JVM 210H through a Marshall 4x12 cab loaded with Vintage 30's. My Pedals are a Boss Delay, Ibanez TS9, Bad Horsey wah, All my other guitars sound amazing to me, But this one is just not warm at all. Its a beautiful guitar

StereoB

So it has Sonic Ecstasy PU's installed if it's a Monarchy? It's all a personal taste and rig matching thing here but I prefer the Illuminators to any of the more recent DiMarzio offerings but a lot of people say they are too bright... I found the Sonic Ecstasy's to be a weak sounding generally. But a bit of EQ and boost might well take them beyond that?
I also have a Wolfgang and the PU on that is definitely my favourite by far on anything. But they are so different from anything on a Majesty.
The Piezo is only going to sound good into a signal chain that is acoustic orientated - at least to my ears. But I have found context for that too.
As an aside I am desperately trying to replace the Crunch Lab in my JP - think it sounds horrendous - its possibly ceramic doesn't work for me (but so is an Illuminator?!?)
All personal taste - and EQ maybe.

Last edited:

beej

Is this your first guitar with an onboard buffer? It's going to be brighter than something with high output pickups and a long cable. You'll really need to change the EQ on your amp.

As for the piezo- are you running that through the same amp you run your mags through? Yes, it will be bright. It's best suited to be run through a clean amp, or PA.

lifeson1

customer service was very kind and sent the updated Preamp and Electronics but kept the original Pickups.

So, CS kept the original pickups? Does that mean you swap them out? I use both LP's, Strats, Axis, and other types of guitars through my rigs, and generally I do hav etc tweak the app EQ a bit, just because it's a higher output guitar, with a buffer. Magnetic pups will sound more up front a bit, but I would not describe it as 'harsh'. Although, you are using a JVM 210, so you might have to tweak the eq a bit more on that amp, since it's something I would not describe as being a warm platform. But I guarantee that once it's dialed in it will deliver on all levels.

An EQ pedal might be ideal. That's what I use in front of my amps when switching between some of my guitars.

BadHorseyroy

We left the original pickups in( sonic Esctacy). I believe the Majesty does have potential. It just has like a pinging overtone making it sound brite. My LPs have the Dimarzio PAfs, Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, or Burst Buckers. My Strat has the Seymour Duncan little 78, and the Telecaster has the Seymour Duncan Vintage stacked Tele Pickups. And the EVH the Frankenstein pickup .All sound great. Even through the Helix the Majesty has this pinging overtone. I love all these guitars. I just cant get a grip on the Majesty Briteness. And EQ no doubt would work. I like how the other guitars have their own tones. The Majesty is gorgeous, light, and plays amazingly well.

BadHorseyroy

Yes, this is my first guitar with an onboard buffer. The Piezo isn't really being used yet. Yes, it was used through the same amp in a clean setting.
I will try a floor EQ to see if this will tame it. As I mentioned, the Majesty is indeed a Beautifully crafted guitar. I am not looking to unload it, just want it to sound amazing as it can.
Thanks for the help.

lifeson1

as far as 'pinging overtone' goes, I'm trying to isolate what that would be happening. Even through a modeler. . . Not really sure. I've owned three or four Maj's, and I haven't had that complaint. Have you tried rolling the tone off a bit, or making sure your DB boost knob isn't engaged? Or that the Piezo is completely off. These are elementary suggestions, of course, just trying to cover the bases.

StereoB

Is this anything to do with the stainless frets? Mine "ping" on all 3 of my Majesty's - the action is very low and suspect it's a light rattle to an adjacent fret that personally I can easily live with. It's most audible acoustically - as you might expect. Arguably some SS fretted instruments sound a bit brighter but that isn't true of my EVH...

I can't look at nickel fretted guitars anymore - SS just feels so much nicer.

Vadauco

Is this anything to do with the stainless frets? Mine "ping" on all 3 of my Majesty's - the action is very low and suspect it's a light rattle to an adjacent fret that personally I can easily live with. It's most audible acoustically - as you might expect. Arguably some SS fretted instruments sound a bit brighter but that isn't true of my EVH...

I can't look at nickel fretted guitars anymore - SS just feels so much nicer.

SS frets have zero effect in tone.

Note that Les Pauls are dark sounding guitars. Pretty much everything else will sound brighter in comparison.

Top Bottom