• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Dariothery

Hello,
I'm a very happy owner of a Luke II. 2 years ago I installed jumbo frets on it, due to a personal difficult relationship with the original frets.
I recently went to my luthier for a setup and I asked him to avoid fret buzzing as much as possible, (the one that upsets me the most is when it appearson the low E string).
I laso asked him to settle the whammy bar as indicated on the MM setup page so that the G string can be raised up to Bb.
He returned the guitar to me (standard tuning, 9-42 strings) with basically no fret buzz anywhere but I find the strings on the last frets being a bit too high for my tastes. He said it was mostly due to the fact that the bridge was probably "up" a bit too much than usual, due to my request.
I replied that this should not represent a problem as it was a very common setup on Luke's guitar but he replied he would have preferred a different angle than that.

I own 2 Am St strats and they have very "straight" bridges, so the action is very comfortable all the way up and down on the fretboard, with basically no fretbuzz at all. Of course, they don't have the same whammy range as my Luke (to me, the MM bridge works like a Floyd Rose and is 100 times better!).

I would like to ask to any other LUKE owner out there if the current setup on my Luke is the same for everyone or if you usually set your guitars in a different way.Thanks!

Jacktherider

I have Luke III guitar i didn't faced that type of problem. Better you contact company customer care or authorized service center.

mikeller

I personally don't lean mine that far - not that it shouldn't work, but i just don't like it as well. I can pull up maybe a full step or little less.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
The angle the bridge sits at has no relationship whatsoever to how the string action changes across the neck. None, zip, zero, zilch, nada, rien.

My Cutlass and Silhouette Special and my old strat are setup this way, which is also how Fender recommend setting their tremolo bridges to float.

If the neck has very little neck relief, or no neck relief, the action will steadily increase as you move from the headstock towards the body and some people may find it too high at the highest frets. Without seeing your guitar in person, I'm not going to make a definitive diagnosis but adding a little neck relief and lowering the saddles a little might solve the issue. You can do it yourself, just note how much each adjustment you make is so that you can undo everything and get right back where you started.

Explanation why is here...

Dariothery

Thanks Dr.Kev. I gave the bridge a go and as you mentioned there was no change at all.
I also noticed that I was used to use the whole interval so I settled the bridge as it was settled before.
I followed your advice and lowered the saddles a little bit up to the point where the fret buzz is still acceptable and now is way better, many thanks

The angle the bridge sits at has no relationship whatsoever to how the string action changes across the neck. None, zip, zero, zilch, nada, rien.

My Cutlass and Silhouette Special and my old strat are setup this way, which is also how Fender recommend setting their tremolo bridges to float.

If the neck has very little neck relief, or no neck relief, the action will steadily increase as you move from the headstock towards the body and some people may find it too high at the highest frets. Without seeing your guitar in person, I'm not going to make a definitive diagnosis but adding a little neck relief and lowering the saddles a little might solve the issue. You can do it yourself, just note how much each adjustment you make is so that you can undo everything and get right back where you started.

Explanation why is here...

Top Bottom