• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bradfordws

Looks great!!! Congrats.

Thanks guys! Notice my profile pic of an early to mid-80's Sabre - that's the one that got away - or actually, I was not thinking clearly and was just trying to fund a 5 string at the time, so I sold it. Anyway, this Classic replaces that - a long time coming!

Last edited:

Mabongohogany

Awesome; congrats.

You'll love it.

I was extremely impressed with the Sabres at NAMM, and really would love to own/play one my self- (I need another bass -NOT-)

Yet, the SABRE is calling me....

Listen! I hear it!...

"Oh, Mahbongohogany...Order one; now, in Black w/Maple 'Board....You know you want to...!"

Damn voices in my head!:(

bradfordws

...and I had a really hard time picking out a color - almost got trans white, considered silver (love the silver - always reminds me of Ben Orr - Cars), and got real close to getting sunburst, but it came down to replacing the one I let go in the 80s - Natural / RW / Black PG. If I had the bread, I'd get a few more in different colors, but that 'aint gonna happen at this time!

bradfordws

I picked it up yesterday at FedEx after work and have been playing it a bit - nice! I love this bass! Huge bottom can be dialed up and sizzling highs - so far, I'm liking the tone controls rolled back a few notches. The set up out of the box is perfect - plays like butta. Unfortunately, I'm between bands right now, so don't have any gigs in the near future - I will enjoy the break, while I find something better. I'm going to pick up some strap locks today - really the only modification that I will do. The only thing I miss is the original Sabre bridge, but this a small detail and I'm sure it made more sense to go with the more standard Stingray bridge on these. I've been mainly a 5 stringer for many years now, but this bass is gonna get me back to 4 real quick!

Malthumb

Thanks guys! Notice my profile pic of an early to mid-80's Sabre - that's the one that got away - or actually, I was not thinking clearly and was just trying to fund a 5 string at the time, so I sold it. Anyway, this Classic replaces that - a long time coming!

The part in bold sounds all too familiar. I had a '79 Sabre that I bought new in '79 and kept as my ONLY bass until the late '90s. Sold it in '99 to fund the purchase of my first 5 string. Started jonesing badly after a few years and eventually found an '80, and then a '79. Won't be making that mistake again.

Pretty much gas-free now, but I will be keeping an eye out for the Sabre Classic.

Last edited:

Chris C

The part in bold sounds all too familiar. I had a '79 Sabre that I bought new in '79 and kept as my ONLY bass until the late '90s. Sold it in '99 to fund the purchase of my first 5 string. Started jonesing badly after a few years and eventually found an '80, and then a '79. Won't be making that mistake again.

I HATE that. And I've done it way too many times. I see something that "I just have to have" and then what I already have (which I've loved and have been perfectly happy with up to that point) suddenly becomes a sacrificial lamb. Then, like you, after the grass-is-greener thing wears off, I end up having to search and spend more money to replace that sacrificed bass that I shouldn't have gotten rid of in the first place. I constantly have to keep reminding myself to knock that kind of stuff off.

j.kernodle

awesome. I'd love to hear a demo of one where the treble isn't completely cranked. If you have a means of posting a demo or video that would be awesome. the only video I've been able to find of one being played has the boost dimed on the treble which is utterly grating on the ears. I know this thing has to be capable of some more traditional greasy 70's type
sounds.

Freddels

I stopped at GC today and they had a silver one hanging on the wall. I just had to try it out. I really liked the first 3 positions on the pickup selector. The other two I wish I had more time to play with the EQ to get a feel for them but I was just enamored with the first 3 that I spent the majority of my time there. A very nice bass. Of course, the strings were a bit high on it, but that could be easily remedied.

Top Bottom