• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

luiscesaripad

If you be able to find one, get an EGNATER TOURMASTER. It has 4 channels, the cleans are soooo beutiful, the overdriven sounds are amazing ! I am telling you...

Gio_Force_One

You mean Fractal AX8 -- there's a *long* waiting list to get one of those just now.

I saw that on their website . That's okay that may be too much for me anyway .

From all my research today , since I'm playing in a country cover band now the Roland gr55 synth might be a good option with my dc5 or maybe my jcm 800 . I really don't need a new amp just wanted to buy one .
With all the input from everyone I've been thinking of other things to do now.
Does a guitar have to be physically altered for the Roland pickup ?

Gio_Force_One

If you be able to find one, get an EGNATER TOURMASTER. It has 4 channels, the cleans are soooo beutiful, the overdriven sounds are amazing ! I am telling you...

Yeah I heard someone playing one once it did sound pretty good , but he said it was his fourth one that they he got cause he kept having to return it cause it kept breaking. So I'm a little weary on egnator.

Gio_Force_One

Are you looking to go pedal free, or with pedals? For most I would think the Mesa Boogie MkV series is among the most versatile there is. I myself am looking to eventually get a MkV, the full powered one. The big question is head + cabinet vs combo. Mesa combos are BEASTS. My DC-5 is great, but weighs a metric ton.

Either way works for me . I have the dc5 head Its not heavy really but I had a dc3 combo and that was pretty heavy. Once I modded the volume know it seems like it became more useable . It has more of a taper now doesn't go from soft to loud like it used to .

paranoid70

I've got a Mesa Express 5:50 amplifier. Very good amp for a cover band, so versatile. Works very well with pedals too, I use a few cool OD/Fuzz pedals to get even more tones. I've got the combo amp. It's only one speaker but plenty loud enough... not too heavy as well.

I originally bought a Marshall, but after trying the Mesa I returned the Marshall right away and bought the Express. Highly recommended.

scooby61

Are you looking to go pedal free, or with pedals? For most I would think the Mesa Boogie MkV series is among the most versatile there is. I myself am looking to eventually get a MkV, the full powered one. The big question is head + cabinet vs combo. Mesa combos are BEASTS. My DC-5 is great, but weighs a metric ton.
Go for the head I got the combo it's heavy as all hell. And I never have liked the open backed sound so it's been plugged in a 4×12 since I got it. The 10 watt mode sounds fantastic through a 212 at lower volumes and 90 watt cranks.

Gio_Force_One

I've got a Mesa Express 5:50 amplifier. Very good amp for a cover band, so versatile. Works very well with pedals too, I use a few cool OD/Fuzz pedals to get even more tones. I've got the combo amp. It's only one speaker but plenty loud enough... not too heavy as well.

I originally bought a Marshall, but after trying the Mesa I returned the Marshall right away and bought the Express. Highly recommended.

Which one do you have the combo or Head ? Is it the express plus or the old one.

QuietSpike

I have a Mk V head for sale with warranty remaining, PM me if you'd like. (mods- if this isn't cool I'll happily delete).

pajsh

I saw that on their website . That's okay that may be too much for me anyway .

From all my research today , since I'm playing in a country cover band now the Roland gr55 synth might be a good option with my dc5 or maybe my jcm 800 . I really don't need a new amp just wanted to buy one .
With all the input from everyone I've been thinking of other things to do now.
Does a guitar have to be physically altered for the Roland pickup ?

I got into GK guitar (and MM guitars) via a guy in a covers band who had (and still does 15 years on) a GK2 mounted on an Axis. Simple enough to do, you just bolt the controller on via the strap pin and double sided tape fixes the hex pickup. I've got two mounted on Strats but never put them on my MM guitars. I seem to recall it wouldn't fit on the Axis Sport with out hacking into the scratch plate which I didn't want to do so might be worth checking first.

Sounds are best via a full range PA though (if using the synth) as guitar amps don't have the high end. OK but not the best, depends on the amp really. I use an Alto 12" powered cab and if available DI straight into the desk for FOH.

If you just want different amps I reckon the Kemper is best but if you want to add strings, horns, organ, piano, synth, etc etc it's a powerful tool. As an example we used to play Living On A Prayer and I'd play the full orchestral strings at the start, then pizzicato strings in the verse and switch to full guitar for the chorus. The second guitar did the riff and solo.

As I said before, not for the Old Skool but the wall of sounds you can create and possibilities are immense.

Last edited:

Etudica

I'd recommend the Axe-FX II all day long. The last few firmware releases have made huge improvements to the tone, so if you haven't heard one recently (like within the last month) I'd recommend giving it another look. I am also a big fan of Mesa, and the Mesa amps in the AF2 have come a looooong way, along with the other 240+ amps available.

There is a little learning curve, and when I made the switch I wasn't immediately sure I made the right choice. I can't be happier right now (my lower back too).

Gio_Force_One

i found a guy that is selling a 1974 music man rd 65 head and that one is kind of tempting I have heard that they are a very clean amp. and from the pictures it looks in really good condition

Sweat

i found a guy that is selling a 1974 music man rd 65 head and that one is kind of tempting I have heard that they are a very clean amp. and from the pictures it looks in really good condition

Listen to some old Johnny winter that will give you some input to its sound. I wish you could buy a new one stateside.

Aaron1433

There are tons of good options inside the Mesa brand alone. I've been curious about checking out an Electra Dyne, especially since they are pretty inexpensive on the used market. I'd also take a look at a Bogner Shiva, Goldfinger, or Ecstacy. And yes, the JP-2C looks absolutely bad ass.

Top Bottom