• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

gitapik

I’ve been playing the Silhouette line since the 90s. All those guitars that I’ve played have had a low action. Not super low but enough that it makes slide playing impossible without buzzing.

I’m thinking of raising the action but am wondering if those particular models are best suited to lower action.

I play with 10s.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I’m thinking of raising the action but am wondering if those particular models are best suited to lower action.

No, I don't think any guitar is suited/best/intended for low or high action, only what the player requires. So, yes, if slide is to be a thing in your life, I would recommend higher action and possibly heavier strings.

What you might be able to do, if you want a quick temporary change in action and provided you have enough adjustment available, is to loosen the truss rod two quarter turns. That might add enough string height to make slide playing easier. Then when you want to go back to normal action just make the same amount of adjustment back the other way.

Also, I would recommend trying a number of different slides. I find that thin-walled glass slide is better for low action because it's light weight helps keep it off the frets. BUT I prefer brass because the surface friction on the strings helps the sustain but the weight makes it harder to keep off the frets. Basically, I'm never happy without using brass and therefore higher action, but I'm not prepared to dedicate a guitar to that. So, I'm content not to play slide. :)

gitapik

No, I don't think any guitar is suited/best/intended for low or high action, only what the player requires. So, yes, if slide is to be a thing in your life, I would recommend higher action and possibly heavier strings.

What you might be able to do, if you want a quick temporary change in action and provided you have enough adjustment available, is to loosen the truss rod two quarter turns. That might add enough string height to make slide playing easier. Then when you want to go back to normal action just make the same amount of adjustment back the other way.

Also, I would recommend trying a number of different slides. I find that thin-walled glass slide is better for low action because it's light weight helps keep it off the frets. BUT I prefer brass because the surface friction on the strings helps the sustain but the weight makes it harder to keep off the frets. Basically, I'm never happy without using brass and therefore higher action, but I'm not prepared to dedicate a guitar to that. So, I'm content not to play slide. :)
Thanks. I’m actually not doing this for slide playing, though I can see why you’d think that from my post.

I’ve always had my Silos at the lower action they’ve arrived in. And others I’ve played have always had that same action. Gotten used to and loved that feel.

But the other day I played a guitar with a higher action and totally gotten into it. 12” radius is different from the Silo 10” and the nut is different, too. That’s why I ask.

I love slide guitar. Brass is excellent. Never got along with lighter glass slides. Porcelain is a nice alternative to that. Still light but has more traction. For my reso I like the thick glass.

Interesting you’d mention loosening the truss. My first thought was to raise the saddles. Never done any work on the setup of a guitar other than to raise the E string on a ‘57 AVRI Reissue. Might just leave as is. They both play wonderfully.

Last edited:
Top Bottom