• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

fbecir

Hello !

I am looking for a diagram for splitting the humbuckers of my AL (with a push-pull pot or a mini switch).
I did it with my SUB with a push-pull pot, but it was easier : there is a 3 positions switch.
With the AL, the switch is a 5 positions (positions 2 & 4 split the coils, thus the black and white wires are connected to the switch).

Another problem : the wires are very short (for instance, if I want to add a push-pull pot on the tone, the wires are too short). What is the best way for lengthening the wires ???

Thanks for your help

beej

I think the easiest way to split the coils is to wire the point where the black & white wires meet to ground. Gives you the inner coils.

The thing is, if you just run a wire from where the B&W wires meet on the lever switch over to the push/pull, then when you split them you will end up with one position on the lever switch with no signal (position 2). Also position 3 will be redundant - it'll be the inner coils, same as position 4.

One way to get around this is to wire it so the split only happens in positions 1 & 5. I have my 25th wired up like this, it's handy. To do that, you run a ground wire to your push/pull (say, center lug). Then run another wire from the push/pull (say, top lug) to the lever switch in positions 1 & 5 on the side that's used for grounding the B&W wires in position 4. (I realize a picture is worth a thousand words but I don't have one handy at the moment ... I can try to make something later.) When you pull the pot, it will only affect positions 1 & 5, and the other positions will function as they did before.

Another option is the scheme MM used for the run of GC ALs with a push/pull. It's a bit different. I can send you that diagram if you shoot me your email.

GWDavis28

Check this thread.

Glenn |B)

fbecir

I put a mini-switch mainly for two reasons :
  • push-pull pot are not easy to change "on the fly" (I put one on my SUB)
  • I had a mini-switch in stock ... but no push-pull pot o_O
For the wiring, I did it the lazy way ... (the first solution given by beej). Perhaps I will improve the wiring later on, but in fact the position 2 (no signal) gives me the opportunity to try a kill-switch at no cost.
The first thing I wanted to try was the sound of the humbuckers splitted, and I like it !

guitardan

I swapped out my EBMMs for Suhr Thornbuckers and wired it like the PT model. The tone pot switching puts the bridge in parallel which to me is more useful than splitting it where it can become too thin.
Suhr PT Wiring.png

Top Bottom