• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Pops

I was an early adopter of the Eleven Rack.
I still love it for recording and use it with either Reaper or Cubase LE.as my DAW.
The Eleven Rack is very versatile and at a fraction of the cost of Fractal AX's and often overlooked as an amp/cab/mic modeller that can be used live as well as a recording interface.

dtpancio

Having an Axe-Fx II and a Mark V 25 I can say that:

Axe-Fx II USA IIC+ Model with an IR through FRFR speaker almost identical to Mark V 25 with a load box and the same IR through FRFR speakers

Axe-Fx II USA IIC+ Model with a Matrix power amp through a mic'd guitar cabinet almost identical to Mark V 25 through a mic'd guitar cabinet

Axe-Fx II USA IIC+ Model with a Matrix power amp through a guitar cabinet in an amp-in-the-room scenario vs Mark V 25 through guitar cabinet in an amp-in-the-room scenario: maybe the Mark V 25 has a little more feel and dynamic.

But there are two different machines..Mark V is "just" a preamp and a power amp, the Axe-Fx II is the best effect processor on the market, a professional audio interface, an IR loader, a tuner, and more than 150 preamps.

I use them both, taking the best of the two worlds, but the Axe-Fx II is extremely close to the real deal..

PeteDuBaldo

One of our local reps for Positive Grid was in this afternoon and dropped off their new Bias Mini Guitar head (300W) for me to try out. It's pretty wild stuff that pulls virtual amps from the cloud and lets you change tubes, bias, transformers, select speaker cabinets, microphone position and type, etc., all in an easy-to-use app on your iphone/ipad/WindowsTablet. You can store up to 16 different amps on it, and run it to one or more of speaker cabinet, line out, headphones, with adjustable volume for each output.

I'm a tube amp guy but this thing is pretty cool so far!

BrickGlass

I’m still blown away by my AxeFx II even after five years. Absolutely incredible sounding. FRFR for me.

West Hartford, Connecticut, United States
I briefly owned a Mesa Mark V. Its a flexible amp, but not the amp for me. Cleans were good, channel 3 was good for rhythm, channel 2 I liked the most, especially Mark 1 mode with the fat switch on for low-gain, Santana-like lead tones. For me, I wanted to use the graphic EQ differently for each channel. I found the Mark V to be limiting as I would need it to have 3 graphic EQ sections to work for me and the amp only has one. The JP version has 2 EQ's but it gets rid of channel 2, which was my favourite on the amp.

I haven't ever played any version of the Axe FX and can't really comment. However, I've played profiles of the axe fx on my kemper and they sound so-so. I would highly reccomend getting a kemper. I LOVE mine. Its introduced me to great sounding amps that I never would have ever been able to try. I'm currently enjoying Wizard amps the most. With the kemper, If I get tired of one sound, I can just switch to another. There are about 13k free profiled amps and thousands of commercial paid profiles and honestly, I'm still in love with my kemper. Its caused me to completely stop playing my old main amp, a VHT Pitbull CL100. I can't highly recommend a kemper enough.

Another route you can go is Synergy. Get a Syn1 preamp rack and a Salvation MarkUS module (if you're dead set on a mesa mark series amp. Its the preamp from a MarkIV). I have the Salvation module and it completely nails the Mark IV tone.

Last edited:

BUC

I've seen guys with zillion dollar Soldano's who sound like crap.

Seen guys with the POD ver 1 who sounded amazing.

I've been a modeller guy for a while now. Played with other modelling guys and other total tube amp snobs. Tone is in your fingers and ears. You will be able to make either sound good or bad.

I've been playing a Helix since the month they were released. Love it and have not even been tempted one little bit to replace it.

Astrofreq

Interesting to me is how many Mesa Boogie owners switch to digital. I personally always thought that Boogie cleans were AMAZING, but the distortions were too fizzy to me. I listened to some AxeFX clips on youtube and I was totally impressed with the ENGL and Diezel settings. I am starting to understand how this could be totally useful in the studio.

PatrickDavid

I some how missed this thread, I've got two custom hand made aussie amps at home, but after receiving the fractal ax8 two months ago i have only been playing the ax8 since then it is just so versatile and the tone blows me away every time,

for at home players semi interested in recording i'd get an ax8 any day of the week

Davus PG

I some how missed this thread, I've got two custom hand made aussie amps at home, but after receiving the fractal ax8 two months ago i have only been playing the ax8 since then it is just so versatile and the tone blows me away every time,

for at home players semi interested in recording i'd get an ax8 any day of the week

Another AX8 user here.

Solid state amp originally
Then Eleven Rack
Then H&K Grandmeister
Added a Fractal FX8 to that
Then got the AX8.....the H&K hasn't been touched in over a year. I keep it "just in case" but the AX8 is just so good and my L3s sound killer through it.

I'm on the European waiting list for the AxeFX III but think I'm going to pass when my name comes up as the AX8 does everything I need...Also means I can use the money for a MM Cutlass RS HSS and have plenty of change leftover.

I find it hard to believe the tube amp cork sniffers could really pick the AX8 out in a live band mix, which for me is where it really counts.

PatrickDavid

Another AX8 user here.

Solid state amp originally
Then Eleven Rack
Then H&K Grandmeister
Added a Fractal FX8 to that
Then got the AX8.....the H&K hasn't been touched in over a year. I keep it "just in case" but the AX8 is just so good and my L3s sound killer through it.

I'm on the European waiting list for the AxeFX III but think I'm going to pass when my name comes up as the AX8 does everything I need...Also means I can use the money for a MM Cutlass RS HSS and have plenty of change leftover.

I find it hard to believe the tube amp cork sniffers could really pick the AX8 out in a live band mix, which for me is where it really counts.

Very very similar experience,
I came from tube amps and the eleven rack,

That was my same thought, it's so hard to pick it out the ax8 in a live mix, for me the axe 3 looks amazing but i just don't need the upgrade, the ax8 is perfect for my needs and so portable

West Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Very very similar experience,
I came from tube amps and the eleven rack,

That was my same thought, it's so hard to pick it out the ax8 in a live mix, for me the axe 3 looks amazing but i just don't need the upgrade, the ax8 is perfect for my needs and so portable

That was kinda my experience. I played a Laney IRT studio at home. Got the kemper. Sold the laney. Played through the kemper most times. Put the VHT Pitbull (my main amp) up for sale. But for playing out, my EVH 5153 works better than the kemper for live situations. Don't be so quick to sell your amps.

OneEyeRed

Been playing since I was 7, will be 52 this year. I have been a tube snob and boutique pedal guy most of that time. However, I bought a Helix 2 years ago and never looked back. No more hauling gear, my signal is super clean, no more toe dancing, and my patches are amazing. I hated digital, even Fractal, until the Helix. Line 6/Yamaha has nailed it. My tube snob friends cannot tell the difference and I get compliments consistently.

I do, however, run into tube amps when I am playing at home. My fav. is a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb but its tube and its noisy with the Helix plowed through it. Even with the Mark V combo, I get tons of noise. Its all good though jamming in my studio but direct is always the way to go with digital.

I also play worship and going direct is a huge deal. Even with crunch, a clean signal is of upmost importance. I will also throw out a holler to Gil Divine and Divine Noise cables: divine noise - handmade cables also Glenn DeLaune for making killer Helix patches: Glenn DeLaune - Official Website

Last edited:

m4ssi

I'm interested in digital, now i have the Brunetti singleman tube amp and some pedal. I would like to buy helix, i don't need several distortion, i like clean and warm tone and i love the reverb.

Top Bottom