• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Carl Roa

One of you has to have one! Give us a review!

Hi Big Poppa,

I don't own a Game Changer, but one of my guitar pals was one of the very first people to purchase one! (apparently THE first one) I was at his place the very next day ... we went through the features of the guitar, and the software used to configure the pick up wiring ... and I was blown away. Truly innovative technology. The software was great, and very intuitive. We were tried dozen of possible wiring configurations. Just amazing how many tones we were able to conjure up. I should mention, the guitar itself was beautiful. Well crafted, great fret work, excellent feel on the neck.

With this guitar, and perhaps an Axe Fx, one could cover every single tone known to mankind with a rig that could be carried by one person. Scary really ...

-Carl

bkrumme

I've got mine, Sterling. Been playing it pretty exclusively for the last week or so.

Quick review:

The Reflex is a great platform for the GameChanger. It's a versatile guitar on its own, made more so with the GameChanger. The possibilities are so limitless it's a bit intimidating, especially considering we've been limited by a 3-way or 5-way switch for so long. I drank the kool-aid on this one, and glad I did.

The best part for me is I can use this one guitar for so many different songs. I'm playing in a cover band now and this is where the guitar shines. Need to play some Hendrix? Simple, dial up a SSS configuration. How about a little Black Sabbath? Yup. It can do that, too. Metallica? Yup. Pink Floyd? Yep. AC/DC? Guns 'n Roses? Motley Crue? Check! Check! Check! Pretty much anything you want to play, you can configure the guitar like the guitarist who recorded the song.

Programming via USB and a web application is extremely easy and once you give the app a shot it's pretty much intuitive as far as creating a preset. Syncing to the guitar is fast. The MIDI options will be intimidating to those who don't know much about MIDI, but for those of us who do understand and use MIDI, it's extremely simple to program for either MIDI IN or MIDI OUT. I'm using mine configured for MIDI IN, and it is responding to PC messages to change presets when I select one using my MIDI controller.

So far, so good. The web application has a few bugs that could use working out, specifically in saving presets, banks, etc to use later.

Otherwise, it's a great guitar and really versatile, though intimidating which is why I think there are so many folks who aren't sure about it.

Roubster

I would love to try one out! I am totally for innovation and new things. The only thing that is holding me back right now is that it only comes in the reflex model which is just personally my thing. If it is ever available on a Morse, Y2D or Silo Special than I'm all in. I also really like the fact that it does not look gimmicky...looks like a guitar should with a fairly simple layout that is capable of amazing things.

One thing that I would like to see Guitar Center do is to show case the Gamechanger guitar specifically in their stores connected to the computer running the application. I saw one in the NYC GC, but havent tried it out yet...probably on Saturday :D.

straycat113

Brad put a deposit on this guitar the day they were available and boy was he determined to get it! Right now he is the go to guy for any questions and has made it known the guitar was worth the wait.

mtrejo

I'm surprised there aren't more owners out there. Keith, you didn't order one?

dkannen

I played the Gamechanger for the first time in my local Guitar Center last Friday. I have never played a Reflex before, so I picked it up with no standing expectations. Coming from a Petrucci, the neck was a bit bigger, but nonetheless extremely comfortable. I plugged it in to a Mark V combo standing nearby, and dialed in a decent distortion tone on channel 3.

At first, I just flicked through the 5 positions on the pickup selector, and my god, gamechanger system aside, it sounded FANTASTIC. Extremely clear, articulate, and resonant. The boys at DiMarzio did a good job on this one. After I played for a good 20 minutes, I then tested some other banks. I quickly got lost xD. I couldn't find my way back to the first bank, so I simply unplugged and replugged it back in, and I think it did reset itself.

It's a little difficult to know what you're playing without the web interface, but I understood that, and absolutely loved the guitar for what was available to me at the time. With the MIDI flexibility, I have no doubt that the Gamechanger is indeed going to change the game. I play many lackluster guitars, with poor setups in Guitar Center these days, so thanks, EBMM, for making the gamechanger a treat to play as soon as it's down off the wall.

threeminutesboy

wow thanks for the update, the Reflex/25th is a damn good guitar and adding the switching capability is just awesome

Big Poppa

you didnt get lost the five position switch overrides the toggle on the top (bank z) but if you assign different things on the fly from bank z and want to go back to stock or what you want to be stock just push the volume control down and hold for 7 seconds it rests you your default

roburado

Man, the Gamechanger. Shoot, if there weren't a PDN Y2D or a Dark Lord, I'd be all over it. I'll get the limited edition stuff first. Then, I'll worry about the Gamechanger.

bkrumme

It's a little difficult to know what you're playing without the web interface, but I understood that, and absolutely loved the guitar for what was available to me at the time.

Playing one at Guitar Center won't give you the whole experience, unless they set up a demo station with a computer and the web app. Also, it's much easier to remember what your presets are when you programmed them yourself.

First rehearsal with the GameChanger was Saturday. Went straight from Outshined (heavy humbucker tone) to Run Like Hell (spanky single-coil tone) simply by pressing a footswitch. Once you get everything set up, it really is awesome.

ScoobySteve

Hey brad Good to see you hanging about again.

Seeing that you jam mostly on your JPs how do the single coils sound to you?

I LOVE My 25ths bucker and split tones. But have had no exposure to the gamechangers single coils.

Thanks again!

bkrumme

Hey brad Good to see you hanging about again.

Seeing that you jam mostly on your JPs how do the single coils sound to you?

I LOVE My 25ths bucker and split tones. But have had no exposure to the gamechangers single coils.

Thanks again!

The single coil tones are pretty darn good. Other guitarist in my band plays a Strat some of the time and it is really close. When he came to rehearsal on Saturday I was jamming some Hendrix. He thought I was playing a Strat until I turned around and he saw a Music Man...

Top Bottom