• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

BrandonS

MarkBass 102 (2x10) combo works just fine. ON occasion I also hook up an Eden 2x10 I got at a swap meet for around $60 :) tons of sound with them both!

LuvMusic

Yes that is the one. Although it was the official MB distributor that did the swap for me, because I didn't want to void the warranty by opening the amp, it's all a very easy task as they are all compatible for retrofitting with all the Mark Bass combo's which use the Little Mark head I, II or III models, basically you must remove the top cover from the new head, keep that by one side as you will need it later, unscrew the old head from the combo enclosure, pull it out, slide the new one in and fit the top cover from the new one onto the one you've just pulled out of the amp. Screw in the new head inside the combo cabinet and that's all you need to do. Easy as a,b,c.

Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it! My combo is out of warranty now....if I went with a new LM Tube I would go the route you went. Otherwise, probably do it myself.

How thoughtful and efficient of MarkBass to keep the heads and cases so consistent. Really opens-up some possibilities! :cool:

Cheers!

Last edited:

hwystar

GK700RBII and Avatar 210 Neo cab, I do tip it back tho, works well and it's light.

keko

I use only 2x10" cab with 5 stringer, but I also always play parallel through PA support which contains 18" sub-woofers in low range!

But when play practice with no PA support it works just fine with acoustic drum set behind!

Just take a look at one of my recently stage photos before gig:

Yo can see my rig with 210 EBS proline cab and at both sides compact EV RX series PA system wired in active 3-way amping mode! (each side: 1x18", 2x12", 1x3" Horn)

Petebass

Every time I've tried using a 2x10 on it's own I've noticed that even if I can get it loud enough, I'm pushing it hard enough to produce audible power compression initially, sometimes progressing to actual distortion. Once you get there, you're not far of physical damage.

Adding speakers not only makes you louder, it means each speaker is working less and is therefore more responsive to dynamics, EQ changes, and is far less likely to be damaged.

Aussie Mark

Every time I've tried using a 2x10 on it's own I've noticed that even if I can get it loud enough, I'm pushing it hard enough to produce audible power compression initially, sometimes progressing to actual distortion. Once you get there, you're not far of physical damage.

Pete, depends on how much headroom you have up your sleeve. I agree with you if you're talking about a 300w head trying to push a 2x10 to keep up with a loud rock band. However, when I've run a 2x10 by itself at pub gigs it's been fed one channel of a pre/power amp rig that has 600-750 watts available into that 8 ohm cab, so pushing the cab hard has not been an issue.

Petebass

Pete, depends on how much headroom you have up your sleeve. I agree with you if you're talking about a 300w head trying to push a 2x10 to keep up with a loud rock band. However, when I've run a 2x10 by itself at pub gigs it's been fed one channel of a pre/power amp rig that has 600-750 watts available into that 8 ohm cab, so pushing the cab hard has not been an issue.
I'm actually talking about headroom of a different kind. Watts are nice but I'm referring to available suspension travel within the driver mechanism. If your 10's have 4mm of suspension travel (X-max) and reach it at say 200W, it makes no difference if your amp is running at 8 tenths or 2 tenths if the speaker is operating 4mm away from it's suspended center.

It's kinda hard to explain without writing a whole book and without discussing the non-linearity of driver movement, and of course porting affects cone excursion too. But I know you know what I'm talking about because you've added a second and sometimes third cab as needed, so you're instinctively aware of when your single 2x10 needs help.

keko

Hmm, ...You must be playing pretty hard'n'loud?

I can tell You my way of setup if could help:

As shown on upper photo, my EBS 210 cab is 4 Ohm/400W rated and power amp head is even 450W into 4 Ohms!
Setup on my Behringer Ultrabass amp head is as follow:
Active input, Gain at half (kinda electronic fake of tube preamp), all EQ flat, no effects, no compressor, master Volume around 1/4..., and that's from my point of view aprox. 2/3 of max. RMS output power!

My Sterling 5 HS preamp set up: just slight bass boost, slight mid boost, treble depends about music genre song I play at the moment, from slight cut, to slight boost, 90% H pickup only!

DI out to mixing console, ...at console channel where plugged in set up as follow:
Gain up to 0 to +3dB input (PFL level), EQ all flat, master channel Volume depends of master mix.!

If that help I don't know, but try to use some of my personal tips & tricks to improve Your usage of 210 cab! ;)

Funky Chicken

A 2x12 will move considerably more air than a 2x10. I switched from a Goliath Jr. to an Epifani 212 and the difference was enormous. Not quite as portable but worth the difference.

LowMoJo

Try the new TC Electronic RS210s. Fantastic sound, sweet high end, small, pretty light for ceramic, and loud!

Two would be awesome, but you may get away with one occasionally.

+1

I've always preferred 2x12's or 4x10's, but recently started using the RS210 and it's great. No complaints.

coastie72

I see many good answers for your question. The rig I use is one kick butt setup, and I would not trade it for anything comparable. I use a Genz Benz ShuttleMax 12.0 and 212T Neox cabinet. Every place its heard it gets compliments from other musicians. The cabinet weighs 50lbs and has tilt back wheels. The head weighs around 15lbs since I've mounted it in a Gator rack case along with a power distribution unit. Hard to beat Genz Benz gear. ;)

agplate

I'm using an Avatar 210 Neo with the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0. It's a little thin alone, but I've added my SansAmp Programmable DI right into the Shuttle input and get alot more satisfying headroom and bottom end. And it fits in the car well too. By the way, I second the quality of the MarkBass combo above. I've heard it and it's amazing for the size and weight.

koentje_bassist

I always use this setup: GK 1001RBII into a Markbass Traveler 102. This cab can handle everything. And yes, it does sound better when you're using 2 traveler cabs, but a single one can do the job as easy. 4-string or 5-string. In our rehearsal room I do miss some low-end with that cab. I use a GK 410 SBX instead, which delivers plenty of low-end. But at the stage, a single 210 will do just fine. Just turn it up.

shakinbacon

With a 5 string I've had better luck with a single 12 than a 2x10 - both must be well designed cabinets though. Per my sig, I'm particular to Epifani.

Schroeder makes a single 15 that is very light (30lbs) and has gotten great reviews. I've always wanted to try that one - its a bit pricey though.

Schroeder "Superior Sound" Cabinets

Anyway, you asked about 2x10s... based on what I've read I'd check out Acme or Genz Benz NEOX or Uber series.

The Acme is notoriously heavy and power hungry Acme Sound Ltd. Homepage

best of luck

Top Bottom