• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jvh

Hi. I was hoping someone could help. I need to adjust my Floyd Rose on my axis, because it returns sharp after I dive. It sits flat on the body so I assume I need to loosen the claws and let the string pull more tension. The main issue though is the g string seems to go way Sharp when I do the whammy and return. I believe this is a nut issue. Is there anything I can put in the nut to make sure it’s clamping. Maybe cardboard? Does anyone think this is a nut issue or related to the Floyd not being setup properly?
Thank you for Viewing this thread and your help.

Ok took a picture of the clamping blocks and they look worn. Could this be the reason the Floyd is returning sharp after dive bomb

Attachments

• 1EFF7AD7-6D99-4FE2-8696-30462FA40E69.jpeg
    1EFF7AD7-6D99-4FE2-8696-30462FA40E69.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

hbucker

Have you tried moving the nut clamp blocks to another position - rotating them so they are each clamping a different string? Reversing that particular clamp so it's sitting in the opposite direction?

I would try this before thinking about adding cardboard or other options.

There is always the possibility of replacing the clamp blocks too. This would not be expensive. I also like this idea better than cardboard.

Good luck!

TheSash

And check if the nut itself is become loose, sometime this can be an issue too.
Cheers
Sash

jvh

Have you tried moving the nut clamp blocks to another position - rotating them so they are each clamping a different string? Reversing that particular clamp so it's sitting in the opposite direction?

I would try this before thinking about adding cardboard or other options.

There is always the possibility of replacing the clamp blocks too. This would not be expensive. I also like this idea better than cardboard.

Good luck!

Hi Thank you. I tried this and it still seems that the g string goes about 18 cents sharp. Also the E A D are 6 cents sharp after the dive. The B and E string do not have that issue. I do have a new nut I can try, but I feel like there is something going on with the tremolo where it is not returning to normal position. If I do not use the tremolo the tuning is stable. I adjusted the tremolo all the way off the body and then put back slightly to where it moves when i bend the string up.

I just tuned it again after this and did dive and now the E and A are around 30 cents sharp, but the others seem to be some what in tune. Is it possible the string spring tension is causing it not to return to pitch? I thought maybe my issues was the spring wasn't tight enough on the low e, but that's where it touches the body.

jvh

I’ve added some photos of the gap at the bridge. I thought it was supposed to be level, but it’s like that on two of my guitars. So I was assuming this is ok and is not why the bridge doesn’t go back to position or tuning.

Attachments

• 01EB060B-BDC6-42D5-8756-7D1474129A4D.jpeg
    01EB060B-BDC6-42D5-8756-7D1474129A4D.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 135
  • 71A0C733-4C1E-487C-9966-B88DF79EC5C2.jpeg
    71A0C733-4C1E-487C-9966-B88DF79EC5C2.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 128

hbucker

If the nut is tight, you've rotated the nut clamps, and the problem is still there, I would suggest it probably is not a problem with the nut. Have grooves worn into the nut itself? (not the clamps) This could be an answer.

Also, (checking boxes here) make sure you're tuning to pitch with the clamps loose. Then tighten them and do final adjustments with the bridge tuners. This is a "well duh!" comment, I know. Just making sure as much of the tension is uniform as possible.

The photos make it appear that your bridge is at an angle - not resting 100% on the body of the guitar. At least the first one looks this way. I would make sure your bridge is resting flat against the surface of the guitar to ensure that stability and to return it to how it was designed.

As for spring tension, I set my EVH and other Floyds so that they pull hard enough to set the Floyd against the body, but light enough so it doesn't take much pressure to raise it. Even a hard string bend can raise it ever so slightly. This is a preference thing, but I still wouldn't dial too much force into the springs after the Floyd is resting flat.

After these suggestions... I don't know...

good luck

jvh

If the nut is tight, you've rotated the nut clamps, and the problem is still there, I would suggest it probably is not a problem with the nut. Have grooves worn into the nut itself? (not the clamps) This could be an answer.

Also, (checking boxes here) make sure you're tuning to pitch with the clamps loose. Then tighten them and do final adjustments with the bridge tuners. This is a "well duh!" comment, I know. Just making sure as much of the tension is uniform as possible.

The photos make it appear that your bridge is at an angle - not resting 100% on the body of the guitar. At least the first one looks this way. I would make sure your bridge is resting flat against the surface of the guitar to ensure that stability and to return it to how it was designed.

As for spring tension, I set my EVH and other Floyds so that they pull hard enough to set the Floyd against the body, but light enough so it doesn't take much pressure to raise it. Even a hard string bend can raise it ever so slightly. This is a preference thing, but I still wouldn't dial too much force into the springs after the Floyd is resting flat.

After these suggestions... I don't know...

good luck

Thank you for the reply. It does look there are some grooves in the nut so I think i'll replace the whole nut since I have one. Yes you are correct both of these guitars have the bridge(correction Retainer plate) angled toward the low side, but do rest on that side of the body. The bridge looks level. One is brand new guitar and came that way. I thought maybe that was normal. So I should move both of these to make them rest flat on the body?

Last edited:

Stevie

As hbucker has said, the bridge should be resting flat on the body.

I have a 2013 Axis and this came out with the newer designed locking tremolo. I too regularly experience the g string, and the others you have mentioned going out of tune when diving the tremolo. I know its not the nut as I have had it replaced. Three of my guitars have the older style Gotoh bridge and never experience this issue, it makes me think it could be the bridge.

As hbucker has said, the bridge should be resting flat on the body.

I have a 2013 Axis and this came out with the newer designed locking tremolo. I too regularly experience the g string, and the others you have mentioned going out of tune when diving the tremolo. I know its not the nut as I have had it replaced. Three of my guitars have the older style Gotoh bridge and never experience this issue, it makes me think it could be the bridge.
How you solved it Steve ?

Top Bottom