• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

tm21

I'm strongly considering buying the BFR JP6, its quite an investment but I feel like its worth it. Beautiful finish, impeccable woodworking, its a lifetime purchase. I own a musicman axis super sport and I absolutely love the feel of its unfinished neck. Its so smooth and the result is incredible playability. I understand the BFR JP6 has a finished neck and I am worried this will impede the guitar's playability. The regular JP6 comes with an unfinished neck and it is cheaper, but the finish isn't quite as nice. How do you guys find the finished neck on the BFR in comparison to the unfinished axis neck or a regular JP6 neck?

Also, i know this is totally subjective, but which BFR finishes do you like the most? I love the Koa but I'm not really digging the gold hardware. Ruby red looks really nice, and the grayish smoke model also looks great. Any recommendations?

I would totally go to a music store and try out the various models and inspect all the different finishes in person, but I live in a very small town in Canada and the one music store here doesn't carry any music man guitars. So I only have the thoughtful advice you to go by.

Headstock

I have had both. I LOVE the BFR finished neck. I felt it was a blazing fast neck. I actual felt this neck to be faster than the non-finished models. Not "sticky" like most finished necks. I heartily recommend this model, sustain is incredible.

I personally am a fan of the Koa, Bahama Blueburst and the Blackburst.

Welcome!

brasco68

I understand the BFR JP6 has a finished neck and I am worried this will impede the guitar's playability

I don't see how that this possible..especially since the man himself Mr. Petrucci has played many many BFR's with a finished neck. I've played guitars with both finished and unfinished necks, it never altered or compromised my technique or style, in fact, when I'm playing I don't even think about the finish on the neck at all.

roburado

I'm strongly considering buying the BFR JP6, its quite an investment but I feel like its worth it. Beautiful finish, impeccable woodworking, its a lifetime purchase. I own a musicman axis super sport and I absolutely love the feel of its unfinished neck. Its so smooth and the result is incredible playability. I understand the BFR JP6 has a finished neck and I am worried this will impede the guitar's playability. The regular JP6 comes with an unfinished neck and it is cheaper, but the finish isn't quite as nice. How do you guys find the finished neck on the BFR in comparison to the unfinished axis neck or a regular JP6 neck?

Also, i know this is totally subjective, but which BFR finishes do you like the most? I love the Koa but I'm not really digging the gold hardware. Ruby red looks really nice, and the grayish smoke model also looks great. Any recommendations?

I would totally go to a music store and try out the various models and inspect all the different finishes in person, but I live in a very small town in Canada and the one music store here doesn't carry any music man guitars. So I only have the thoughtful advice you to go by.

Personally, I think the issue of finished vs. non-finished neck is a non-issue with the BFR JP6 vs. the JP6. It's certainly not an issue for JP himself.

Which finish do I like best? Well, I don't know. Personally, the thing that I like best in terms of the BFR's appearance is the tops. I like quilt. So, I gravitate towards that. Flame is fine too, but given the choice, I'd choose quilt. Bahama Blue Burst is great. I also love the Ruby Burst. I think the Cherry Burst is phenomenal. The Koa, I think, is pretty cool, but you're paying more for that one. Personally, my favorite finishes are not available anymore from the factory, or they were never available in the first place. I liked Tobacco Burst a lot. I love the Dargie Delight 2 package. Neither of those two are available anymore. Of the ones that were never available to the mass market, I really like this new sparkly black pearl finish (well, the idea of it anyway. I never saw it up close.) that JP has now on one of his guitar. I also love the one that he has that was based on the 2006 Limited Edition package (black with gold hardware).

kneeoh

Of the BFR finishes, my favorite is the Bahama Blue Burst (big surprise, eh?!). I like it primarily because it kinda shifts from green to blue depending on the lighting and the angle you hold the guitar. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, I just think it's cool.

As far as the finished/unfinished neck thing... it has never been an issue for me personally. I don't really notice the difference in feel, even when I switch between guitars. Yes, I know that they should feel different, but I just don't notice it because I don't have to make any adjustments to technique, I never encounter any "stickiness" with a finished neck, and the only contact point with the neck is distal end of my thumb (developed by playing classical).

Crimson Sunrise

I understand the BFR JP6 has a finished neck and I am worried this will impede the guitar's playability.

I have both guitars myself. I understand your concerns about this, as I have played guitars with finished necks where they seemed to have a lil' bit more friction while going up and down the neck. But, it honestly has never been a problem for my BFR JP6 blackburst. I will say that I, like most ppl, prefer the overall "feel" of a unfinished neck, such as my BFR ASS w/ maple neck or my ASS w/ rosewood neck. But, the finished neck on my BFR JP6 has never slowed me down at all. Time will only tell if it will stay that way, but I wouldn't be afraid of purchasing it. I owned a regular JP6 (Mystic Dream) with the unfinished neck and I got to where I did not enjoy playing it that much because the neck was just so freakin' thin and flat. I've heard that there can be subtle differences between the (unfinished) necks of EBMM guitars because they sand them by hand on the final sanding. All I know is, the neck on that guitar felt much different than the BFR JP6 I have. Naturally, the finish adds a little thickness, but it also seems to be more round as opposed to being flat, as on the regular JP6 I had.

Fave BFR JP6 finishes are: Blackburst and Walnutburst (discontinued)

Stratty316

I would also like mention that if EBMM is going to offer a finished neck you can be certain that they have looked into the whole "sticky" issue that other brands have battled with on finished necks. Don't know if they did anything different or not, but in general the BFR models with finished necks have all had great reviews. Like mentioned earlier, time will tell with the finished necks... but I personally wouldn't have to think twice about getting a MM with finished neck. This MusicMan thing isn't just about the unfinished necks. I have played other brands with unfinished necks that did not play as well as my Axis... don't know if that helps or not.

mesavox

Normally I'd say that a painted neck would impede playability to some degree... but that is not the case with the BFRs at all. It's like high dollar pool que slick....

I can envision a case where an outside gig in a high humid setting might cause a problem, but nothing a little finger ease wouldn't fix... IF it even caused a problem to begin with. It's mere speculation that it would... albeit speculation based on high humidity situations I've been in in the past. But, this neck feels like no other finished neck I've ever played. One of the things that drew me to Music Man was the feel of the necks, and especially how it avoided humidity sticking problems... The BFR neck feels as fast as the unfinished necks to me... More like a car finish than a wood finish. lol

colinboy

Pull the trigger and get the BFR mate.ive got a beautiful one myself in Bahama blue.there more colours available now including cherry burst.you should go for that as it looks stunning.
welcome by the way and stick around some great people here!

leftyguitarblue

I have had both. I LOVE the BFR finished neck. I felt it was a blazing fast neck. I actual felt this neck to be faster than the non-finished models. Not "sticky" like most finished necks. I heartily recommend this model, sustain is incredible.

I personally am a fan of the Koa, Bahama Blueburst and the Blackburst.

Welcome!

+1 on all counts.

But, you want want to wait to see what NAMM brings, you may want a 10th anniversary JP!

beej

It's funny that the finished vs non-finished neck is even a debate. How many great guitarists are we all influenced by that played on finished necks?

tm21

does anyone know if MM will be releasing any new colors at NAMM in 2010? Any rumors swirling as to what those colors might be? If thats the case, I think I'll hold off on my purchase until then!!

Crimson Sunrise

does anyone know if MM will be releasing any new colors at NAMM in 2010? Any rumors swirling as to what those colors might be? If thats the case, I think I'll hold off on my purchase until then!!

Well, what a lot of ppl are talking about, is the 10th anniversary Petrucci that is rumored to be released at NAMM. Only speculation as to what that will be like. There is a thread already posted with ppl taking their guesses.

agt

Like, you, I am ready to buy a JP6 BFR. I am pretty set on koa. The new koa finish is supposedly honey burst as opposed to the previous tobacco burst. I love EBMM's honey burst! But I am waiting till NAMM to hopefully see a photo just to make sure before committing that kind of money. Ruby redburst would be my other contender.

Also, like you, I am not wild about the gold hardware on the koa. I'll buy it either way, but I wish chrome hardware was an option on the koas. Does anyone know if it is possible to order one that way?

Lou

I own both standard and BFR JPs. There is no difference in playability between them. Do you want more bling? Then go BFR. If not, the standard JP kicks all kind of ass. Sonically, they're a bit different, but it's a win/win.

Lou

Oh yeah! Ebony board belongs on these (my only wish). Maybe the JPX!

IMG_2786.jpg

Top Bottom