• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

N4860

Could be the loose trussrod that vibrates at a specific frequence. Tighten the rod a bit and try again.

It's definitely not the trussrod vibrating. It is a very loud rattling of the strings on the adjacent frets and is experienced all over the fretboard so I can't see it just being a rod vibrating with specific frequencies.

Bert

... when holding down the 1st and 13th? I would say mine is currently a little more than a business card. I tried with my feeler gauge and it shows about .016 of a gap at the 5th fret.

You got a gap of .016 at the 5th fret (that is a relief, which would be fine), but the 7th fret still rattles. So what is the gap at 7th fret (holding down 1st/13th?) is the gap less than .016 - it looks like one or two high frets, which can be slithly filed down.

If you look down the neck is it in backbow? Loose the trussrod counter clockwise and put some new strings on with higher tension.
If you look down the neck is it straight as an arrow (or a little relief) and some frets stick out. A fret levelling is needed.

N4860

You got a gap of .016 at the 5th fret (that is a relief, which would be fine), but the 7th fret still rattles. So what is the gap at 7th fret (holding down 1st/13th?) is the gap less than .016 - it looks like one or two high frets, which can be slithly filed down.

If you look down the neck is it in backbow? Loose the trussrod counter clockwise and put some new strings on with higher tension.
If you look down the neck is it straight as an arrow (or a little relief) and some frets stick out. A fret levelling is needed.

Thanks for the response, Bert! I'm not at home right now to check the relief at the 7th fret but I will do so when I get home and compare it to the other frets.

When I have looked down the neck, it does not look like backbow. It has a slight amount of relief but seems closer to straight. When I try to loosen the rod, it feels like it is already as loose as it gets. I could move the wheel with my finger if I wanted to. I could look for strings with higher tension but that is not ideal as I like the strings and gauge that I have on there which are the stock strings. I'll let you know how the 7th fret looks when I get home though.

N4860

So its .016 at the fifth fret, and appears to be a bit less at the 7th which makes sense right since it get lessened as i go closer to the note that is being fretted. I received some advice from customer service today so I am going to try what they said and see if that helps.

N4860

Great! Please share the result and solution.

Well the result was not great, unfortunately. Still the same issues as before. The solution the CS gave me was as follows: with the trussrod wheel loose enough to move with my fingers (as it already was), try putting pressure on the middle of the neck to give it the relief it needs with the warning that i may hear a pop or a cracking sound. Then I was to tighten the trussrod bolt back to where it starts having resistance and then to see if that helps. So I did that and I didn't hear any sounds nor did I notice any additional relief added to the neck. Stills sounds the same and the neck looks the same when I eyeball it for the amount of relief. It appears quite straight but with tons of fretbuzz. This must be uneven frets right? I'm going to have to take it to a tech for a closer inspection again. CS told me they don't have any authorized techs without sending it back to California and I feel like that will end up costing me a great deal of money after putting down so much already for this. I really hope this can be fixed otherwise I am out a lot of money. I wonder what the policy is on replacement necks for BFR basses since they are such limited quantity?

N4860

Hey everyone, I just got my stingray back from my tech yesterday. He got the truss rod sorted out so that I was able to add more relief but it was still buzzing a bit so I went back in today with the stingray special and my older SR5 which is set just how I like it. He saw took some measurements and got my special much closer to how I like it but it was still buzzing a bit.

I was playing around a bit tonight and then had a bit of an epiphany. I think what was very much contributing to the buzzing was the pickup height of the neck pickup. When I bought the bass, the neck pickup was pretty low so I tried to bring it closer to the height of the bridge pickup. I think the magnets are so strong that it was pulling the vibrating strings down towards the fretboard just enough to cause a bunch of buzzing. Has anyone else experienced this with an HH configured bass?

I just lowered the pickup a good deal and am now finding it much much better.

lowbean

Were you ever able to get this fixed? I have a Sterling with the identical description of anomalies you have given.

Top Bottom