• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bovinehost

Administrator
cakemixgroup1.jpg cakemixgroup2.jpg

Work begins on a proper Cowpilot demo and/or EP and/or "something, no one knows what it is" at CakeMix Studios in lovely Dall-Ass.

Brought an Emerald Green Sparkle Bongo 5H and of course the Candy Red Bongo 5H but decided to use the Big Al for a "few" basic tracks. Ended up deciding to use it on all 8 or 9 basic tracks, although some of those original lines might be replaced down the line a ways.

Sometimes you just get in "that space" where the bass feels right and it sounds great (I just ran it direct in) and you don't want to mess with it.

Jack

KevinM

I do the same with my 25th anniv Reflex.
The powers that be like the passive mode best but now and then I need some extra chutzpah so I switch to active mode with several different p/u configurations depending on the song.

nurnay

One of my bands is doing a Motown medley (Let's Stay Together - Tell Mama - I Feel Good). I busted out the new Big Al tangerine pearl 4SSS, dropped her into passive mode, pushed the middle PU button, rolled the tone back slightly, and voila! Old school tone for days. The band loves the sound. I love this bass!

Fuzzy Dustmite

My Big Al all rosewood neck 4H has become my main bass, ousting my Bongo 4H. Love the feel of the neck and the look. Sounds great completely flat.

Last edited:

Kong

Germany, Baden-Württemberg. South Germany, near to
Four weeks of having my own Big Al 5 SSS in beautiful Blue Pearl. I had the luck to find a used one in mint conditions.

The setup was a complete and other disaster. Fretbuzz from fret #3 - #20. So I took a close look and gave the bass a major setup. Now there is only one bass in my stable with a lower action, my old beloved StingRay 5, built in March 1995. This one sure is one of its own.

It sure takes some time to find your favourite sounds on that bass, but I love them all. Its just a matter of the needs of the style of the music I am playing. Wonderful vintage tones with coil 3 or 2 in passive mode, modern sounding punchy bass sounds on coil 2 plus 1 in active mode, I love the series mode. But everything in pasive is a sensation, too.

As I am a StingRay 5 (growing on Bongo 5...) man with big hands, I like the shape and size of the neck of the Big Al. It plays like butter. I often have been told that the mass of the neck affects the tone, and I found this confirmed for some other brands, you know, "the first stage of basses made by Leo Fender". OK, I'm thinking that the mahogany is responsible for this heavy deep bark I love on this bass.

This one sure is a keeper.

Last edited:

Oldtoe

Intestinal Poltergeist
These tracks are going to be, in what I believe is the parlance of the young folks these days, "hella fun."

bovinehost

Administrator
10371747_10156522347770696_971120986685342627_n.jpg 10376272_10156522347605696_784347167018058224_n.jpg

Well, I couldn't actually do ALL those songs without breaking out the CoWpilot Utility Bass, could I?

Also, rumor is that Psycho (Chuck) Ward may be contributing some wild-ass musicality to a few tracks.

Yippee yo ki-yay!

sanderhermans

The big al is such a cool bass. I hope i will someday find one. Also hope that by then it is not a sought after classic :) but for now im happy with my litl al :)

ldmm

The Big Al is indeed a cool bass! The active mode just kills.

bovinehost

Administrator
And, for Big Poppa, Dargin, et al, the only requirement I have for mention on the physical CDs is: "Jack Willams plays Ernie Ball Music Man basses exclusively".

Now THAT should generate some sales! :)

bassmonkeee

And, for Big Poppa, Dargin, et al, the only requirement I have for mention on the physical CDs is: "Jack Willams plays Ernie Ball Music Man basses exclusively".

Now THAT should generate some sales! :)

Don't be so hard on yourself. I don't think the used market will be too flooded by people wanting to disassociate. :eek::eek::D

Top Bottom