• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

pureanalog

I used wood floor cleaner on my neck and took all dirt away.

Then used 1500 and then 5000 grit sandpaper on the neck. Now it is smooth and glass-like shiny. I love this feel. Can I skip the oil and wax treamtment? Does anyone do that?

mikeller

I used wood floor cleaner on my neck and took all dirt away.

Then used 1500 and then 5000 grit sandpaper on the neck. Now it is smooth and glass-like shiny. I love this feel. Can I skip the oil and wax treamtment? Does anyone do that?

I am no authority - but the oil / wax does serve to protect against dirt but against climate conditions. I usually do mine every year or so. Mine never ever feel sticky at all, very smooth.

beej

The oil/wax helps seal the neck and keep it stable.

I used to do mine once a year, but it's been eons since I've done it.

tbonesullivan

If you took the oil coating off of the neck, you need to put one back on. It protects the neck from sweat oils and other nasty gunk. Yes, a totally unfinished neck can feel awesome, until the wood starts rotting out a few years later.

St_G

I don't think I've ever heard anyone report that their guitar neck rotted.

I suppose it's possible, but at the very least it's going to depend rather a lot on the type of wood.

If you took the oil coating off of the neck, you need to put one back on. It protects the neck from sweat oils and other nasty gunk. Yes, a totally unfinished neck can feel awesome, until the wood starts rotting out a few years later.

Fusionman

I don’t treat my necks either and they still feel great. The wood has aged nicely on both gtrs.

tbonesullivan

I don't think I've ever heard anyone report that their guitar neck rotted.

I suppose it's possible, but at the very least it's going to depend rather a lot on the type of wood.

EBMM puts a finish on their maple necks for a reason. I guess all the companies that finish their necks are just wasting their time then?

Maple is not an oily wood, like a rosewood or ebony fretboard. It needs to be sealed to keep out moisture, oil, dead skin, salt from sweat, and so forth. Ever seen those old strats and teles that the finish has worn through? Ever seen how the wood turns brown or green, and eventually starts to wear away?

Yes, unfinished maple exposed to moisture, sweat, and grime will rot away.

St_G

Pump the brakes on the defensiveness, maybe?

I'm not saying finishes serve no purpose, only that I cannot recall ever hearing anyone complain that their guitar neck has rotted.

Jamie M

EBMM puts a finish on their maple necks for a reason. I guess all the companies that finish their necks are just wasting their time then?

Maple is not an oily wood, like a rosewood or ebony fretboard. It needs to be sealed to keep out moisture, oil, dead skin, salt from sweat, and so forth. Ever seen those old strats and teles that the finish has worn through? Ever seen how the wood turns brown or green, and eventually starts to wear away?

Yes, unfinished maple exposed to moisture, sweat, and grime will rot away.

The natural oil in the skin helps the wood as well, my necks have never shown signs of rot at all and i never treat mine.

beej

I don't believe I've ever seen a neck rot.

The oil/wax are there to seal the neck so it's less susceptible to humidity. Keeps the neck more stable and, over time, less prone to warping.

My first guitar was a homemade Strat (built it at a local shop that ran a how-to course- you did everything including shaping the neck, fretwork, etc.). I never finished the neck and just used tung oil on it. Sure enough, it did eventually warp pretty badly (after many years).

Top Bottom