• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
I know that some collect and I know everyone loves to play... some more of one or both than others...

How long do you go without playing a bass before you think, probably time to let this one go?

I have a couple basses--awesome basses--but I just don't play them; does that make me selfish? is not playing them a sign?

What do you do?

mouth

I like to only keep what I'm using, so I usually sell what I feel I don't need or I don't use.

Last two basses I sold were barely used for maybe around 6 months until I decided "yup, don't wanna just keep them in their cases, better let them go".

I downsized to 2 basses, and I'm totally fine with it because they get used heavily.

xjbebop

When considering letting go of a piece of gear, I ask myself 2 questions...
Will I really miss it??
If I do end up really missing it, could I replace it?

The trick is to be honest with yourself.

Down to 2 basses right now, having sold off the other 2 that weren’t seeing as much play time. Used to keep a bunch around because I couldn’t control my GAS; I’m over that now.

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
When considering letting go of a piece of gear, I ask myself 2 questions...
Will I really miss it??
If I do end up really missing it, could I replace it?

The trick is to be honest with yourself.

I find this curious, which does not mean I disagree.

In my case it took 18 months to get my SR DD1, not many were posted, and usually for more than I was prepared to pay. It was my first EBMM, not too long after I got my Bongo 5H... I always prefer the Bongo. I've grabbed the SR5 maybe 3 times in the last year... It's not hard to find SR5s, but who knows how hard it will be to find the Martini glass inlays in the coming years? Is a bass irreplaceable because of its sound, its look, the whole package... I don't know how to be honest about this part.

The M&M bass is one of a kind, and I love the way it looks, but I rarely choose the string. The 4 strings I like are my upright and my acoustic...

I don't know, I think its the right question, but I am stuck on what answering it actually looks like.

Just about everyone I know has a "the one that got away" story, so far it feels like my only version of that story is the one's that were $100 too much for my bank account.

danny-79

You only need one pair of socks at a time but I’ve still got a draw full of them !

I generally don’t sell basses once I’ve brought them. (Unless I don’t bond with it quickly cause couldn’t try that exact bass at point of sale) Don’t see the point of buying selling unless it’s to seriously upgrade. It might of fallen out of favour today but tomorrow will be different and full of regret. I get quite attached to them. There is a pecking order but that also changes day by day!
Do I really need the cash that bad ?
Do I need the space it’s taking up ?

A good mate of mine, you never see him with the same guitar twice. It’s almost like he’s got them up for sale before he’s even got them home from the shop. I don’t get it but what ever works for you

muggsy

I rarely play my Sterling fretless, but I would never think of selling it. I just don't play fretless much. That said, it's an amazing bass and worth more to me than the $800-900 I could sell it for.

After almost 20 years of buying and selling, I have finally gotten to the point where all six basses I own are keepers. Different body shapes, pickup combinations, preamps, fretboard and body woods, etc. In the past, when I decided to sell a bass, it was never a spur-of-the-moment decision, but I always knew the pecking order and which one was next on the chopping block. Now I couldn't even rank them, because it changes week to week. That's how I know I'm done. The (in)ability to replace also factors in.

Last edited:

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
It's not that it isn't working, but I just realize I have basses I don't really touch. I'm not a professional musician or anything, but I'm feeling more like a collector these days IDK.

muggsy

It's not that it isn't working, but I just realize I have basses I don't really touch. I'm not a professional musician or anything, but I'm feeling more like a collector these days IDK.

Trust me, I'm as far from a professional as you can get. But I gig (very) occasionally and I wouldn't hesitate to play any of the basses I own on a stage. I think of collecting like Nigel Tufnel: "that one can't be played, ever."

bovinehost

Administrator
I look at it this way. I don’t play golf, I don’t gamble, cars are just to get me to the grocery store and back and don’t define me in any way, and I like bass guitars. I’m sure I have more than my fair share of basses but so what?
A few years back, I was part of a ravenous horde of gear-whores. I bought and sold and traded like the proverbial whirling dervish. As time went by, I acquired basses that were….singular. The herd of singular basses grew. I really couldn’t sell or trade them.

This is pretty much where I am now, cursed with 12 or 13 fabulous one-of-a-kind instruments that are, to me, priceless. And so most of the wheeling and dealing came to an end.

Every now and then, something comes up and I still enjoy the rush of the new. Some of you have benefitted from my latent gear-whore tendencies. Wim got the Cutlass bass that I so coveted because I really don’t play four string basses. Good for him, I say. Killer bass. Good guy. Why not pass it on?

Keep your basses if they make you happy. Don’t get wrapped up with numbers or “collections” or any of that. If picking those basses up now and then makes you smile, why not?

brash47

I play, collect, sell, trade. If I take a fancy to a bass, I grab one...if I don't really love it, it goes out the door. Currently I have all EBMM and one Ibanez.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

danny-79

This thread has got me swapping basses around if nothing else.
I’ve only played my Bongos since July so just putting SunBlue back in rotation (would never sell that one anyways) and HH is back out of its box. (Can’t really sell that one either :p )

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
I look at it this way. ...

If picking those basses up now and then makes you smile, why not?

You're a wise man.

I think the smile assessment puts me into the right frame of mind.

It's crazy how beautiful the M&M is, and how much I just wish it had 5 strings, which sounds like your experience.

bovinehost

Administrator
I use a scale.

Of course, you've seen the scene with the witch from The Holy Grail? I suppose that's an option, especially if you have a duck.

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
I use a scale.

Of course, you've seen the scene with the witch from The Holy Grail? I suppose that's an option, especially if you have a duck.

Do you take it to Fed Ex or the post office or something, or just use what you've got at home... I don't think I'll be able to say more than "looks like 10 lbs on the bathroom scale" otherwise. Or is it time to invest in something more precise?

I bet scales are super cheap now that everyone weighs their meals... and pot is legal...

danny-79

Do you take it to Fed Ex or the post office or something, or just use what you've got at home... I don't think I'll be able to say more than "looks like 10 lbs on the bathroom scale" otherwise. Or is it time to invest in something more precise?

I bet scales are super cheap now that everyone weighs their meals... and pot is legal...

Suite case/luggage scales are a cheap option to weigh the finished package with.

Bathroom scales lye. It will cost you a fortune using them :p

Is this strictly for getting the bass’ weight, or is it for shipping costs? Figure in dimensional weight if it’s the latter.

Top Bottom