• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
Is this strictly for getting the bass’ weight, or is it for shipping costs? Figure in dimensional weight if it’s the latter.

Bass weight. It is such a popular question that I know I must weight a bass before I try to sell it.

I did see they have kitchen scales up to 5000 grams (11 lbs.) for less than $20. So I'll probably go that route.

Bass weight. It is such a popular question that I know I must weight a bass before I try to sell it.

I did see they have kitchen scales up to 5000 grams (11 lbs.) for less than $20. So I'll probably go that route.

Yep, can never seem to dodge that question. I like mine heavy, usually around 12#. It just feels right to me.

muggsy

What is the best way to weigh a bass prior to listing it for sale?

I weigh myself on the bathroom scale, then pick up the bass and do it again. Good thing I'm not selling anything these days, because I haven't stepped on the scale since March. I'm guessing I've gained the equivalent of a Stingray Special during quarantine.

danny-79

I weigh myself on the bathroom scale, then pick up the bass and do it again. Good thing I'm not selling anything these days, because I haven't stepped on the scale since March. I'm guessing I've gained the equivalent of a Stingray Special during quarantine.

:p most of my clothes have all shrunk during the year of the sweat pants lol

wannarock8

How long do you go without playing a bass before you think, probably time to let this one go?
I am a song writer with a home studio, which complicates this issue considerably.
I record a few songs a year. But I keep basses around which I haven't used in years because I got them thinking "I need that tone for a certain song" and I tell myself I'll write another song where I'll use a given bass, but I may not get to it for a few years.

I counted yesterday. I have a dozen basses.
I did sell two since August this year, but have bought four. It has been a time of transition and upgrading. I sold some pretty nice ones, and bought some really fancy ones, including two EBMM Bongos.

I am transitioning a little bit into being a collector. Something I told myself I don't want to do. But I got a couple from another company that I won't name just because they did some limited runs in some stunning colors. And I got the satin honeyburst Sept 2020 BFR Bongo just because it looks stunning and they're only making 60.

I guess mine are all being played and recorded (just not as much as I'd like), which is why I hang on to them.

Last edited:

five7

Haven't heard from the ultimate collector for awhile, Musicman Nut.

wazzel

I don't buy lots of basses so I get attached. The last two I purchased are the 95 and 09 listed in my sig. They are not going anywhere.

Top Bottom