• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

daneford

The tl:dr - I've caught Luke gas. There's a bfr Liii tumescent for a decent price. Are they that different from the standard Liii? Also, I've lusted after the neptune blue maple neck run for a long time. Should I just track one of those down? Do they pop up often?

-------
Ramble ahead:

I joke that getting a silo as my first guitar 25 years ago was both a blessing and a curse. I can't think of many better ways to start out, but it took a seemingly endless amount of flipping a bunch of different brands to figure out:

a) ebmm necks are part of my DNA as a player. They feel like home.

And b) my limitations/suckage are not due to lack of gear. I should practice more.

So, this last year I sold off 6 of 12 guitars, and am down a hss silo special piezo, a hsh silo w trem, hsh hardtail silo, 2 prs, and a LP I keep for sentimental reasons.

Maybe time for something different?

I played a bfr Liii in the tumescent finish today. Nice guitar, killer player, but not the usual neck finish I'm used to.

Suggestions for a dyed in the wool silo player? What other models should I be keeping an eye out for? I tend to stay away from super thin/flat necks and prefer bodies with contours (that's not a total deal-breaker though).

Maybe the answer is "buy mor silhouettes."

Thanks for reading.

Keno

The Bfr Tumescent is great but as you noticed it has a painted neck. To my knowledge the only Luke with a painted neck.

Maybe you should try a roasted maple one?

The L3 is my fav EBMM. Just love that soft V neck

Pink

Did you ‘thin the herd’ to free up room/cash to buy more guitars?
I agree with Keno that the Lukes have very comfortable necks and I, too, am a Silo Special owner. I actually prefer the Luke’s neck.

daneford

The Bfr Tumescent is great but as you noticed it has a painted neck. To my knowledge the only Luke with a painted neck.

Maybe you should try a roasted maple one?

The L3 is my fav EBMM. Just love that soft V neck

I did notice the painted neck. It's still pretty smooth, but there is a bit of a difference compared to the usual finish. I do love the roasted necks.

Did you ‘thin the herd’ to free up room/cash to buy more guitars?

Partially. We had some serious wildfires in Oregon, and my house almost burned down. When the evacuation ended, I did some serious reassessing of what I own and why. Lots of cool stuff that never got used got sold, and I'm still in the process of paring down. The big amps are gone too. I want less stuff to move if/when we eventually get out of here.

It's been pretty freeing actually.

The Tumescent is cooooooooollllllll

It really is. I went to the shop to check out my old 20th Anni silo that I got from Glenn (was contemplating buying it back) and they had the Luke as well. It's a beauty.

JasonT

The LIII is a fantastic guitar and my favorite. Considering the EBMM neck is important to you, I would recommend staying away from the Tumescent and getting a regular LIII to start to see if you really like it. If so, you can always look for one of the BFRs, PDNs, etc. later. There have been a lot of cool wood combos and finishes like the Neptune Blue PDN once you zero in on what you really like. Enjoy!

Top Bottom