• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

muggsy

I just bought a bass with the Darkglass Tone Capsule preamp, and it's pretty cool. Interested to see what they've come up with.

nhbassguitar

I'm just guessing, but...

A Tone Capsule replacing the current preamp would definitely be an improvement. The bass control operates at a higher knee frequency range: 70 Hz. (That is, if it's shelving. If it were peaking rather than shelving, now that would be really cool. That's one of Tech 21's secrets to making things sound beefy without sounding muddy. Eden did the same thing in their WTDI.) 70 is still low enough to remain in subwoofer region (so you're not overworking the PA's mid boxes with a higher bass-boost frequency like 100 and above), but it's not down in the driver-shredding mud, either, like it seems things are now. So, bullseye. High-mid control is 2800, which is a lot more reasonable than the crazy-high range the current MM treble control runs in. No more ice-pick zing.

But, like I said, just guessing...

Randracula

I'm just guessing, but...

A Tone Capsule replacing the current preamp would definitely be an improvement. The bass control operates at a higher knee frequency range: 70 Hz. (That is, if it's shelving. If it were peaking rather than shelving, now that would be really cool. That's one of Tech 21's secrets to making things sound beefy without sounding muddy. Eden did the same thing in their WTDI.) 70 is still low enough to remain in subwoofer region (so you're not overworking the PA's mid boxes with a higher bass-boost frequency like 100 and above), but it's not down in the driver-shredding mud, either, like it seems things are now. So, bullseye. High-mid control is 2800, which is a lot more reasonable than the crazy-high range the current MM treble control runs in. No more ice-pick zing.

But, like I said, just guessing...

I could be wrong, but I don’t see EBMM replacing the preamp in their basses with a Tone Capsule. I have experience with the Tone Capsule. Good preamp, but IMO would not fit a Stingray Special, Bongo or Sterling as well as the stock preamps. I’m guessing maybe an onboard overdrive circuit ? It’s been done by a few manufacturers. Again, I know nothing and could be completely wrong. I haven’t seen the discussion on TB yet, but I’m sure it’s already several pages long.

nhbassguitar

I could be wrong, too. Honestly, I was just dreaming out loud.

Maybe there'll be a prize for whoever gets it right. A GC $25 gift card and a congratulatory pat on the back maybe? It would be totally worth it.

tbonesullivan

Honestly I've never really had any complaints, ever, about the preamps in EBMM basses. I'm not really sure why the company that really popularized active electronics in basses would want someone else's hardware in their basses.

Randracula

I could be wrong, too. Honestly, I was just dreaming out loud.

Maybe there'll be a prize for whoever gets it right. A GC $25 gift card and a congratulatory pat on the back maybe? It would be totally worth it.

We could both be right. We’ll find out on June 22nd. If it is the Tone Capsule, I’m hoping it’s a custom version. I have it in one of my non-EBMM basses and often wish it had a treble control instead of low mid and high mid. I have been using the B7KU and VMT pedals with EBMM basses for the last few years. If either of those circuits were onboard, I think I’d have to have one.

BobKos

I would hope they didn't use the Tone Capsule. I have a number of preamps and the EB 3 band and the Tone Capsule are the worst ever IMO.

nhbassguitar

Wow. Congratulations to The Company on some seriously fresh thinking.

Still interested in the bass & treble hinge & knee points. And by any chance did DG include an always-enabled HPF in the circuit? It would mean one less pedal.

Personally I have no use for heavy distortion, but it looks like mix and gain can be varied, so I guess some very slight thickening of a basically clean tone would be possible? That's something I could definitely go for.

I guess more tech bits will reveal over the next few months as the independent demos go online. But so far, me like very much!

Thanks Randracula for the info.

PeteDuBaldo

I’m confused. Is this an official Collaboration between EBMM and Darkglass?

Yes it certainly is! I'll have one arriving at the store in the next week or two if all goes well.

There are 2 colors, Obsidian Black is available through dealers and Granite Stone is only available direct from EBMM.

Designed in collaboration with world-renowned bass accessory manufacturer Darkglass Electronics, the DarkRay unlocks a whole new range of sonic capabilities.At the heart of every instrument is its tone: in this case, a new modern 2 Band EQ preamp was designed by Darkglass specifically for the DarkRay. This preamp offers three modes with very distinct and useful sounds: Clean, Alpha (distortion), and Omega (fuzz). Both distortion circuits are fully mixable via an onboard gain knob and blend control manipulated to the user’s preference. Astonishing clean, slight gain, or a brutal fuzz tone is obtainable, all with no low-end loss. A bright LED ring and the 3-way lever switch indicates which mode the bass is in.

Full Specs:
Size 13-1/2" wide, 1-5/8" thick, 44-7/8" long (34.3 cm wide, 4.1 cm thick, 114.0 cm long)
Scale Length 34" (86.4 cm)
Neck Attachment 5 bolt, sculpted neck joint
Strings 45w-65w-80w-100w (Super Slinky Bass #2834)
String Spacing Nut (in) x Bridge (in) .435 x .750
Left Handed Availability No
Body Wood Select Hardwood
Raw Wood Body Thickness 1.600
Body Color Obsidian Black
Body Finish High gloss polyester
Neck Wood Roasted maple neck
Nominal Neck Thickness (in) 1.000
Neck Color Roasted
Neck Finish Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
Fingerboard Wood Ebony
Neck Buffed No
Headstock Buffed No
Fingerboard Buffed No
Fingerboard Finish Oil/wax
Front Headstock Logo Black Silkscreen
Rear Headstock Logo Black Silkscreen, Bear with Serial
Headstock Color Natural
Headstock Finish Satin
Headstock Size Only 8-3/4" (22.2 cm) long
Frets 22 - High profile, wide
Fret Size Height x Width .047 x .104
Fret Material Stainless Steel
Fret Markers Dot Inlay
Side Dot Color White
Nut Width 1-11/16" (42.9mm)
Neck Width at Last Fret 2-1/2" (63.5 mm)
Neck Radius 11" (27.9 cm)
Neck Thickness at 1st Fret 0.830 inches
Neck Thickness at 12th Fret 0.936 inches
Tuning Machine Type Custom Music Man, lightweight with tapered string posts and ergonomic clover design
Tuning Machine Buttons Black
Bridge Finish Black
Bridge Type Vintage Music Man® top loaded Black plated, steel bridge plate with vintage Black plated steel saddles
Pickguard Black
Pickguard Screw Finish Black
Pickup Cover Color Black
Pickup Cover Material Plastic
Pickup Mounting Screw Finish Black
Knob Color Black
Knob Style Barrel
Switch Tip Black
Hardware Finish Matte Black
Controls Custom Darkglass® 2-band active preamp with two distinct distortion circuits (Alpha and Omega); vol, gain, blend, treble, bass
Switching 3-way lever distortion selector; Preamp Only, Preamp+Alpha Distortion, Preamp+Omega Distortion
Pickups Single Humbucking with Neodymium magnets
Pickup Heights from bottom of string to Pole Pieces or Cover (6/32" @G 7/32" @E)
Electronic Shielding Graphite acrylic resin coated body cavity and black plated aluminum control cover

Top Bottom