• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

vonfog

Ottawa, ON Basses: '88 StingRay fretless; '89 Stin
Hello,

The Onyx Sterling reminded me of something I saw a long time ago.

Around 1990 I saw a strange StingRay four-string at a music store in Boston. It was all black, with a black pickguard, black hardware, dark fingerboard, black headstock and 3-band EQ. I don't remember if the neck was painted or not. It was brand new, with the plastic still protecting the pickguard.

A few years later I was speaking to someone at the factory, and when I described the bass, he knew what I was talking about and referred to it as the "Darth Vader StingRay".

I have never seen any reference to this bass. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks,
Adam

Derek

Yes.

We did make around 100 Stingrays similar to the Black onyx around 1990. The Darth Vader was just a nickname we used to describe the bass since it was all black with a black painted neck. No photos exist here at the factory maybe someone could dig one out if they have one.

Thanks

Derek

hands 5

Derek said:
Yes.

We did make around 100 Stingrays similar to the Black onyx around 1990. The Darth Vader was just a nickname we used to describe the bass since it was all black with a black painted neck. No photos exist here at the factory maybe someone could dig one out if they have one.

Thanks

Derek
Well,would it not be possible to get a SR,SR5,or Sterling with Black Hardware as an option ?and if not why couldn't it be done.

Just curious................... Thanx

Rod Trussbroken

Some pics of the "Darth Vader".

It has a painted neck. Note the plastic control plate.

Serial_30264._Darth_Vader_1.JPG

Darth_Vader_2.JPG

Darth_Vader_3.JPG

Darth_Vader_4.JPG

JB1

I cannae see the pix, captain!

Oh, that's Star TREK isn't it?

But I still can't see the pix, young Jedi...

bovinehost

Administrator
Wow, that one slipped entirely under my radar. I have no memory of ever having seen that bass before.

Where did you get the pics?

Rod Trussbroken

Jack and JB1...

Owners name is David.

He contacted me via my website wanting to know about "Darth Vaders". He had two, but sold one!!!

I remembered this thread and sought his permission to post the pics. The pics are dark but he's sending better ones.

An extremely interesting and rare Bass.

Over the last few years, Ive heard stories about them. Tought I'd share. Serial coincides with 1990 (as Derek pointed out).

JB1

Dunno if I actually like it, but horses for courses & it makes a nice collector's piece.

davey

vonfog said:
Hmm. My memory (notoriously bad, I'll admit) was that the bass had black hardware too. However, that must be it. I'm thrilled that a picture finally surfaced. I wonder where the other 98 are?

Adam
\
hello folks, i am new here, great site, i just wanted to say, i was looking for info on my bass i bought new in 1990, and i am finally able to come to some resolve, it is one of the "darth vader" models. i will post pics, and i need to figure out how to read serial numbers as well, i also own three other mm's, two autumn burst sparkles, a four and a five, the four is now fretless, and a black five string. thanks for a great site, looking forward to learning alot more!
davey

Kyle

Darth Vader number 98

Hi,

I have a darth vader musicman too. I was told when I bought it that it was one of one hundred and I always wanted to believe it. It's nice to get confirmation.

I love the bass and I'm really glad I didn't sell it a couple of years ago when I started to have some problems with the electronics. I had some local guys work on my bass but noone was able to correct the problem. My plan is to totally replace all of the elctronics. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with getting replacement electronics from the factory? Can anyone give me direction on this?

Thanks,

Kyle

Top Bottom