• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

beej

BPs comments point to the fact that manufacturing is more expensive. So any models that come out of the factory would be affected.

Per the earlier comment about NOS- those are models already in a dealer's hands, so pricing is entirely up to the dealer.

JayDawg

If dealers are charging the new 2018 pricing on stuff that is new old stock already in inventory, then there goes my plan of trying to buy new old stock of the 2 pieces I was trying to buy. Looks like used will be my best option then.

Bryan

I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. As far as EBMM goes, I get why they have to do a price increase. And a US EBMM is still a great value at the increased prices.

JayDawg

I agree that all EBMM instruments are worth their money. But if a price increase has taken place on new 2018 models then new, old stock models should not increase in price if just a few weeks prior they were selling for less money. I just bought a new truck that was a 2017. If Chevy had tried to sell me my truck at the higher cost of a 2018 year model, I wouldn’t have bought a 2017 because of the depreciated cost of the truck being 1 model year older. Instruments are no different. Why would I want to pay more money for a 2017 or older even though it is still new, when I can buy a new 2018 model year with all the newer features on certain models and the instrument is newer so the depreciation is not as great.

JayDawg

To me, yes it does matter. If you saw a bass or guitar that had a MAP price of $1,599.99. It’s a 2017. Then as soon as 2018 hits that same bass that is a 2017 or older is now selling for $2,099.99, the same price as a new 2018. The 2018 has some nicer things on it. Roasted neck, different pickups and pre amp, aluminum hardware, and a more modern bridge. Why would you want to pay that same amount for the 2017 when it lacks the newer features and if you had to sell it, it would have greater depreciation. New it only sold for $1,599.99 until 2018. So the 2017 even in new shape may have a used value of around $1,200.00. The 2018 model would have a used value of maybe $1,600.00 to $1,700.00 if you found the right buyer.

morsecode

There isn't always much of a difference between a guitar that comes out of the factory from one year to the next. I don't know the language that is within the MAP. That is between the dealer and the manufacturer. Just because a price is advertised or listed at $x,xxx doesn't mean they have a lower price point where they will part with the guitar. That is up to the dealer not the manufacturer. If the customer really wants that newer model that has a few extras, they can order that model from their preferred dealer. The dealer isn't going discount this nearly as much. Most buyers know this. Given the price point of EBMM's ever after these increases, they are still incredible value and nobody is really making off like bandits in this.

JayDawg

Here is how I look at it. The old price on let’s say a Cutlass Bass was I believe 1,599.99. The new price is now $2,199.99. That is a huge increase of $600.00 and no changes between the 2017 or 2018 were made. A few weeks ago I could go buy a Cutlass and negotiate a price from $1,599.99. If I went to Guitar Center, I would get 20% off due to a discount I get from them. So my cost would be around $1,279.99 plus tax. Now on that same 2017 Cutlass bass, I have to negotiate from $2,199.99 even though that exact bass 2 weeks ago was $600.00 less. Even if I were to go to Guitar Center anduse my 20% off, my new price on that same bass will now be $1,759.99. Still almost $600.00 more than it was 2 weeks ago and even more than had I bought the bass new 2 weeks ago and not had a single discount.

I get EBMM raising their prices across the board because of what State they are headquartered in but I don’t think it’s right that dealers are now allowed to go and raise the prices on existing inventory that is now essentially new, old stock. And because you can’t tell what model year an EBMM instrument is unless you post on the forum or call or email customer service, how many people that aren’t as knowledgeable, may think because of the price increase, they are buying a 2018 model but are not. This has also already happened to me before on a few occasions. 2 Game Changer guitars, 1 JP 6 and 1 Stingray 5H. I bought all of them only to find out once I ran the serial numbers that all were new but very old stock. Both Game Changers were from the initial release year, the JP 6 was 2 or 3 years old and the Stingray 5 was 4 years old. Even with my discounts I was mad that I had purchased instruments that were several years old. Now, had I also paid even more with the price increases had I bought those instruments now, I would have been even more pissed.

TripHazard

All good points - no one is disputing the quality of the instruments and then being worth the money
I would be upset if a dealer wanted to charge me 2018 price for a guitar they had in stock that was a 2017 model and therefore had arrived in stock before the price increase - I.e they hadn’t had to pay a higher price themselves for the stock

Last edited:

Jamie M

All good points - no one is disputing the quality of the instruments and then being worth the money
I would be upset if a dealer wanted to charge me 2018 price for a guitar they had in stock that was a 2017 model and therefore had arrived in stock before the price increase - I.e they hadn’t had to pay a higher price themselves for the stock

Unfortunately that could happen, over here it is a cost to replace mentality these days or so I have found.

Fro

They will have to pay the higher price to replace their stock. Regardless of what they pay for their stock, they will always sell for the highest price that the market will pay. That's why they are in business, to make a profit.

TripHazard

Who do you use in the UK Trapper for your EBMM stuff?

Not anyone who tries to charge me this years prices for last years stock that's for sure!
I have used Project Music, and had both great services and GREAT prices. Sadly, the have parted ways with Musicman (unrelated to pricing to be clear) so i'm looking for someone new. I'll be comparing offers they make when it comes time for the next purchase

gitapik

Somebody let the cat outta the bag, maybe?

I've played a lot of boutiques. Small and large scale operations. EBMM falls into the latter category and I don't see any difference in quality, customer relations, or quality control between them and the other great makers.

In fact: for my hands, body, and overall smile of satisfaction, EBMM tops the list. Not just saying, either.

As a plebe, I always hate to see prices rise significantly. But these are really fine instruments. My personal preferences are the Silo and Silo Special. Wonder if we'll see prices rise on reverb.com for the used ones, now. Maybe I can sell my '94 Silo and retire to the French Riviera.

(Actually, I doubt I'll ever sell that guitar. It's outstanding).

TripHazard

I don’t think Jay suggested that should happen anywhere in his posts - unless you mean us forumites telling him what to through message board posts...
. Jay rightfully has a point though that dealers shouldn’t take the piss, especially if they want to hold customer loyalty - the buyer is the one with the upper hand. They can always say screw it wait for the used market and then the dealer and the maker both lose out.
When he has his store he’ll be able to give us the view from the other side, and naturally, we’ll tell him what to do ;)

Last edited:

LesPaul

I'll be looking to see what kind of deal I can negotiate on a Purple Monarchy tomorrow. I know they had it in stock prior to the increase, so it should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom