• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DrMatthewCross

Ok, I'm back with the pictures.
First of all, let me say that I somehow solved the problem. I'm not 100% sure that it will not happen anymore in the future, but for now everything seems to work with both chrome and gold plated jacks. I will get a replacement jack from EBMM in any case and replace it if the problem will appear again.
I opened the jack and despite it was boxed and not open, I was able to reach all the internal parts from the bottom side (see pictures). That's what I just did:

- I cleaned the jack's barrel and all the internal metal parts that make contact with the jack cables using a cotton swab and contact cleaner
- I cleaned all my jack cables with the same contact cleaner and cloth
- I checked all the solderings inside the jack and nothing was loose
- I checked how both jack cables (crome and gold plated) make contact when inserted and I didn't notice any difference. Both remain firm when inserted and make contact just fine (see pictures)
- I checked the cotton swab after cleaning and it was pretty clean, no gold or chrome dust on it
- I carefully bent both the metal parts inside the box to make tighter contact with the jack cables
- I carefully put everything back together making sure to not bend any wire

Like I said, the problem disappeared and both jack cables work good, even when tilting the bass forward (which caused the problem before, but only with the gold plated cable).
It's too early to claim victory in my experience, so please check the pictures and see if something doesn't look right. All the pictures were taken before my intervention.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg

GonzoBass23

I have a StingRay 5 Special HH (dropped copper as well) and I believe I’ve had the same issue. I was at an audition back in March....sitting down...and I leaned over to move my EFX box to one side and I had a really loud spike of noise come thru my amp (it actually took out a woofer in my spkr cab). At the time I believed it was my signal cable (Monster...coincidentally
...) going bad so I stayed as still as I could to survive the audition. Unfortunately I came down with Covid*19 less than a week later and missed about 2.5 months of work. Now I’m thinking I may have similar issues as what you are describing. I ordered more signal cable but the older ones haven’t done anything weird since as I have used them with my other Basses to shed with. Keep us posted on the response you get from EB!

DrMatthewCross

Hi,
sorry for the delay.
EB sent me a brand new jack, which I didn't use yet. Since my last post, the problem didn't show up anymore, so I'm not going to do anything for now. I'm not sure it's gone for good, and if it's not I guess the new jack wouldn't solve the problem which imho is in the jack design. Some cables seem to trigger the problem more than others, while other basses work well with everything. That's why I think it's the design. I understand your fear and frustration, it's really a bummer.
Anyway, my SRS isn't my main bass so I don't worry too much about that. I use it for recording and sometimes at rehearsals/jams, but my #1 choice is usually a Fender J or P.
I'll keep you guys posted if anything changes.
Bye.

Karl

I had the same problem when I purchased my Classic and the fault was my Mogami angled cable which worked fine with my Fenders but was intermittent with my Classic. I just used another cable as not all cable plug ends are the same and it has something to do with the deepness of the jack socket internally.

tbonesullivan

Yes, I know that. That jack design is still faulty.
No, the jack design is fine, and based on the industry specification for 1/4 cables. You used cables with out of spec ends, and it didn't work, end of story. The thread abundantly discusses this, and clearly pins it on the cables.

Top Bottom