• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

scottcentilli

I suspect this may make me the odd man out, but my favorite EBMM neck finish is the "Ultra-light satin polyurethane finish" sprayed over the select maple necks from the first year (or two) of the Cutlass and StingRay line and the occasional Stealth Black models.

I have oil and wax finishes on flamed maple and have had full rosewood necks, but, for me, there seems to be the least amount of friction on the ultra-light satin polyurethane finish.

How about you?

racerx

I’ve got a few BFRs with the satin finish and plenty of oil/wax. I can barely tell the difference in a material way. I certainly prefer both significantly over gloss finishes though.

jayjayjay

I have one w/ the satin poly, and one that's full rosewood w/ oil & wax. I can't say I have a preference between the two - they both feel amazing. For that matter, I have one guitar that has a gloss neck (non-EBMM), and it doesn't bother me, although I do prefer non-gloss if given a choice.

dave1812

Oil & Wax all the way, tried a few Majesty's and a couple JP BFRs that had painted Necks. The Finish on the Neck was always the Dealbreaker for me sadly. Would've loved a JP BFR Bahama Blue Burst otherwise.

Jalcom1

Oil and wax, by far. I’ve sanded many painted and urethane coated necks over the years. It’s nice having them straight from the factory perfectly oiled and waxed without devaluing the guitar.

Ninemile

I love the oil n wax. But, I don't know exactly what they put on my Sterling Axis, but it too is pretty nice. Not quite oil and wax but it's something, possible more of a satin finish like the OP describes. There's even a line up by the headstock, just like the EBMM oil n wax line.

Mixolydian82

Oil and wax for me as well. I don't tend to "bind up" on EBMM gloss necks like I do some others, but it's wood or bust for me 9 times out of 10.

Lax

Honestly I'd say my majesty monarchy matte painted neck, but my jp7 Birdseye oil+wax or my jp12 gloss painted are fine and never bothered me

Top Bottom