• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Gio_Force_One

I really would like you guys input on choosing a new amp I was thinking either the Steve Morse ENGL or the new Petrucci Mesa boogie. I play in rock cover bands usually , right now I'm playing in a modern country cover band and I have done heavier bands and more mellow bands. So I would like something that is very versatile and I don't need many pedals. I want something also with a great clean channel. I also like a nice warm sounding amp. I like the some Mesas but for me sometimes they have been too harsh.

Any input is welcome. The guitars going into this amp will be steve morse guitars and and ax40d and maybe a cutlass one day. thanks

kestrou

Going against the grain here... How about going digital?

I've been a big fan of my ElevenRack, but Avid isn't going forward with the product...

How about an Axe/FX II? :)

Kevin

fsmith

Check out the Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII. Between being a big fan of Blackberry Smoke and this review by Tom Quayle, it was a no brainer for me. I love it, sounds great with all of my guitars.

fred

Gio_Force_One

Check out the Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII. Between being a big fan of Blackberry Smoke and this review by Tom Quayle, it was a no brainer for me. I love it, sounds great with all of my guitars.

fred

Thank you !! Just when I had it narrowed down to two .

QuietSpike

Most versatile amp I've ever owned was the Mesa Roadster.

Own a MkV now and a MkV:25. The V:25 is easily the second most versatile amp I've ever owned.

The JP-2C seems awesome, but doesn't have the versatility you desire.

scooby61

Love mark 5 and I hated digital until I picked up the axe fx. Sound great but I'm running it through a Mesa 2:90 won't go all solid state. And still can't part with my mark 5. The clean is just beautiful on the 90 watt 5

Stratty316

I like the Suhr Bella. Nice clean tone and great with a good overdrive pedal. It's on my short list right now.

Magic Jason

I own a Koch twintone which is hugely versatile, sounds great to my ears on his three channels, is really well built and is dirt cheap if you buy second hand.

I've owned many mesa amps and this Koch is really better for me: no harshness to it : you cannot get a bad sound out of it!

Problem I had with mesa is that you find a great sound, the next day you don't like it anymore : can't explain why. It happened to me several times with different amps.

You should also consider a shot at the eleven rack. Almost free now, yet impressive. You might find it more enjoyable than you think. It could be your first step on digital road.

Last edited:

mikeller

After many years I am still in love with my Mesa Electra Dyne. Stupid simple single channel with clean, and two gain modes, shared EQ that is brilliant and sounds killer.

pajsh

Still digital, but the Kemper Profiler looks to be the "Swiss Army Knife" of the amplifier world and seems to have some great tones. Lots of impressive stuff on Yoootoobe and sounds worth checking out.

I used a Roland GR-55 and could dial in almost any amp/guitar combination thinkable, with a wide range of synth sounds in place of a keys player too. Whilst it took some setting up, the sounds were the same every time, no messing and all in a small box you can shove under your arm.

Deffo not for the purists, but for flexibility in a covers band you can't beat it. Andy Summers/Dave Grohl/EVH/Muse just to name a few sounds I covered.

peterd79

what about the Dr. Z ZWREK... it's a great clean platform and can get pretty heavy as well... My Z (Maz 18) can just flat boogie with some pedals (mesa flux drive) behind it...

Gio_Force_One

So confused now the Roland synth seems like a good idea also I saw the axe fx effects precessor looks good too. My Mesa do caiber 5 head might be clean enough platform to start with. I just wanted a new amp but maybe I don't need it and can get to the tone I need with other things. All the ideas from you guys have helped a lot . Thanks.

Axis-of-Evil

the Kemper Profiler is the most ground breaking piece of equipment for guitarist and bassist in the last 25 years! In my opinion, the best sounding amps tend to be one or two trick ponies, and that's for a reason. Versatility like you are talking about is hard to find in one amp. The Kemper doesn't use algorithms like most modelers. It's more of a sampler, sampling actual guitar amps. I would seriously check it out. You'll be blown away by the versatility and sound. I was!! Lastly, do not put it through guitar cabs!! Put it through a monitor or wedge of some sort. Some people complain about the sound going through guitar cabs, but they don't realize it was recorded through a guitar cab which was also "Profiled". I use my monitors in my studio and the PA when I jam with a band.

tbonesullivan

Are you looking to go pedal free, or with pedals? For most I would think the Mesa Boogie MkV series is among the most versatile there is. I myself am looking to eventually get a MkV, the full powered one. The big question is head + cabinet vs combo. Mesa combos are BEASTS. My DC-5 is great, but weighs a metric ton.

Top Bottom