• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bovinehost

Administrator
I discovered some stuff last weekend when coWpilot met to explore new sonic possibilities. While there are certain shared qualities, which makes sense due to the pedigree, a Stingray is not a Bongo and vice versa. And Old Smoothie is not a regular Stingray. (I need a name for this bass. I can't keep typing out 'Old Smoothie' even if that's what Leo Fender called it, I just can't. How about 'Oscar'?) This thing is way less treble-forward. I put flats on it (natch) and it's like fine Scotch. I might have to try some of those new-fangled flats that Brian Ball came up with, really, or learn to love the warm, earthy, non-aggressive tone I'm getting now. No one complained, to be sure, and there were even some happy campers in the band because the Bongo has always worried them. It sure plays like a right fancy bastard! I'm THIS close to putting strap locks on it so I don't have to hunt down an unaltered strap, of which I have one, somewhere. I must have run out of Ernie Ball straplocks somehow.

Now, after nearly ten straight years of playing almost nothing but five string basses, the switch back to four was interesting. We were mostly playing new songs, which was much easier than the live song list we generally pull from. Those are all muscle memory and will be, I'm convinced, a more difficult transition. But I'm convinced now that I need to revisit where I came from, and that it can be done without screwing up terribly. After two days of work, I actually began to have FUN playing a four banger.

So anyway, if you're looking for a four string bass that incorporates the best of all worlds - Leo's design, really, with all the modern Music Man appointments (screw that micro-tilt and bullet truss adjustment on the headstock, really) and the added cool factor of bridge mutes (no, I'm not that brave just yet, but it's coming), get one of these will you still can. The window is closing. You know you want to be like me. I know I do.

cross-posted from FB because I'm basically not that ambitious.......Jackie

Edmang

Wish I could get one before they were gone. So many basses... so little funds...

drTStingray

Musicman bass #10 imminent....

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud to announce I also will become a home to an Old Smoothie very shortly - paid my deposit and arrival promised in a week or two - I can't wait :):)

Edmang

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud to announce I also will become a home to an Old Smoothie very shortly - paid my deposit and arrival promised in a week or two - I can't wait :):)

Congratulations! Sure it will be awesome.

Karl

It was a dilemma for me whether to buy the classic 2 band in sunburst with maple fretboard or the old smoothie and after a lot of consideration I opted for the classic. I think that old smoothie sounds great but is a bit too mellow for what I am looking for in a Stingray. It was a hard decision which was not influenced by price as they both cost the same ,but for that classic stingray tone I think that I have made the right decision.But even so the old smoothie sounds great and I might invest in one in the future

drTStingray

Congratulations! Sure it will be awesome.

Thank you - i agree and I can't wait. Just a brief update - mine will not be arriving until mid/late October - I've been using my 2003 natural SR5H a lot lately - what a bass - it's a ceramic one and it sounds extremely awesome..... all the time but especially at outdoor gigs.

Edmang

mine will not be arriving until mid/late October

This is the only thing I don't like about Music Man basses. The wait sucks when you order one. But I guess it is a good thing. Means they are busy making basses.

bovinehost

Administrator
bacon2016MK2K.jpg

Took Old Smoothie out for a walk today at a big outdoor benefit held at Mary Kay World Dominance Center in Addison, Texas. Dang! I missed a few minor notes due to lack of 5th string but once I got warmed up, well, I still missed a few notes because - who doesn't?

The vintage Slinky shirt was a big hit and all band members and most of crew were dead jealous. The bacon was outstanding.

Strung with frighteningly excellent Cobalt flats three days or so ago, the bass stayed perfectly in tune while other band members struggled with semi-hollow guitars. I TOLD them to get new Music Man guitars, but NOOOO. I lorded my perfect tuning over them, you better believe it. "Well 'I' am still in tune", I would say, quite haughtily.

Used nothing but the Stingray, a Little Mark II head and a Markbass 2-10 cabinet. Set it and forget it, point and shoot simplicity.

Hooray for the Old Smoothie!

Also, coWpilot's debut album is available on iTunes, CDbaby, etc. I highly recommend it.

cheers!

Jack

rogerbmiller

I played one at my local Sam Ash and I was floored. Loved it. As you say it sounded like no other Stingray I have ever heard yet it sounded like a Stingray.

I described it as having that silky and pillowy low end but none of the harsh sizzle at the high end. Smooth indeed!

jblock

I just purchased an Old Smoothie. What an excellent sounding bass with a great feel to the neck! I have a question for other owner's/users. The burst on mine has a bit of splatter on the light part of the burst, almost like blood spatter. Do other folks have a similar finish? Is this supposed to replicate the original Old Smoothie?

IMG_0830.jpg
IMG_0831.jpg
IMG_0828.jpg

Rod Trussbroken

IMG_029720161022-13880-3uuyw7_960x.JPG

IMG_030120161022-13889-1ji2oo0_960x.JPG

Finally some pics.

Warm deep bass :eek:

Great neck. very low action :eek:

bovinehost

Administrator
You and me, Gavin, we needed this bass.

I was just sitting in the studio, here, noodling around, playing "Misty" and that sort of thing and thought, "If this were it, if this were all I could have, that would be sublime."

What's under the control plate?

drTStingray

I've now got my Old Smoothie and what a lovely bass it is. The chocolate burst colour is really wonderful. It has a number of pre EB features not on the classic series such as string tree on the D and G strings, and no position marker on the 21nd fret (top and side). The decal is as a pre EB also.

Sound wise this bass has great sustain and plays very evenly across the whole fretboard with good balance - I'm finding its capable of being very fast. I intend to use it for a couple of gigs later in November so I'll let you all know how it fares - I'm sure it will be excellent.

I'll post some pictures later....

Last edited:
Top Bottom