• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

brash47

I made the first No reply.
I personally like a few of the headless and even fanned fret offerings currently out there.

For me, EBMM has a formula that works. There is a tradition and look that is EBMM, even the radical Bongo design (of which i have 3 now) is still definitely EBMM.

Alot of thought goes into a brand and making that brand universally known. Even if they did do this, I would hope they would partner with someone (as they did on the Bongo) to make it a sensible item for EBMM to produce and sell. With a long term look ahead.

But in the end, I do not think it would have the same "ICONIC" feel, look, or sound that is synonymous with EBMM.

There are plenty of musical instrument brands out there doing this. EBMM is a niche offering, but an amazing niche offering that is "iconic".

But with its "icon" status is its classic instrument status. I haven't seen people asking or clamoring for a headless Fender Jazz, Fender Precision and such EBMM is at this status. You go to EBMM looking for those particular products...Stingray, Sterling, Bongo. I just do not think it would sell. And in the end....that is the big picture. Don't produce something that isn't going to sell.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

MarcMurder

I made the first No reply.
I personally like a few of the headless and even fanned fret offerings currently out there.

For me, EBMM has a formula that works. There is a tradition and look that is EBMM, even the radical Bongo design (of which i have 3 now) is still definitely EBMM.

Alot of thought goes into a brand and making that brand universally known. Even if they did do this, I would hope they would partner with someone (as they did on the Bongo) to make it a sensible item for EBMM to produce and sell. With a long term look ahead.

But in the end, I do not think it would have the same "ICONIC" feel, look, or sound that is synonymous with EBMM.

There are plenty of musical instrument brands out there doing this. EBMM is a niche offering, but an amazing niche offering that is "iconic".

But with its "icon" status is its classic instrument status. I haven't seen people asking or clamoring for a headless Fender Jazz, Fender Precision and such EBMM is at this status. You go to EBMM looking for those particular products...Stingray, Sterling, Bongo. I just do not think it would sell. And in the end....that is the big picture. Don't produce something that isn't going to sell.

Brash

Fwiw I assume people don't clamor about a fanned p or j because they exist

Attachments

• 20201121_184232.jpg
    20201121_184232.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 130

brash47

Getting into fanned is a different thing. I was purely referring to the headless bass. I have enjoyed fanned fret basses and wouldn't mind one. But again, selling them is a different thing.

But I don't believe the basses in your pics are produced by Fender?

MarcMurder

No, they aren't, we both know fender doesn't make them.
But nobody is asking for a fanned p or j because they exist and can be purchased.
The closest we have to an ebmm is a Samuel Martyn from Brazil.

MarcMurder

I would like to ammend my statement about headless instruments when saying that I couldn't see any benefits other than weight and balance distribution. I got to work with a buddy who lives for headless instruments like I do for multislace. We got to talking about the instruments themselves and I was complaining that I love my 37 scale but I hate buying strings for it & I love Cobalts too much.

For those who don't know EB string won't work on some multi scale because length

Anyway he had a 37 headless and I brought a few packs of Cobalts. Since there was no Peg to wind around it fit.

Tl;dr
I support headless basses and am now on the train for a multi scale/ multi scale & headless as long as I can use these Cobalts. And I mean this in a serious functional way, not in a 80s flair way, even though the first color I'd get would be pink

DoublebassTim

The funny thing was for a period of time the Stingray was thought of as the ugly bass by some (not me). People could not get pass the P or Jazz bass look. That later change as it became popular in the 90s again. Then the bongo bass came along and was very weird looking a some people (again not me). If any company can make a bass and push boundary's its EB. I have always admired that big Poppa has tried to push those boundary's. I heard an interview where they tried a wheat board material ( which I would love to hear). What ever type of bass they make it always has a Musicman sound. I think that this would be true for a multi scale, headless. Not everybody likes a headless and that is ok. I would love a headless Stingray with the old school logo of the two Musician with the stripe pants on the teardrop pick guard or smaller on the side of the upper horn.

MarcMurder

i dont think headless but the way the JP have been releasing and with the addition of the new tosin model. im HOLDING MY BREATH for a fanned fret at least

Mabongohogany

Aaaand... The EBMM 3+1 /3+2 headstock is classic, so there's that.

I had a shoulder issue that made me consider a headless. Fortunately, the problem diminished, so I never proceeded.
Besides being happy about the shoulder problem going away, after years of playing '"standard" basses, I'm not sure I could wrap my head around a headless instrument.
Who knows? Some players dig them, so...

danny-79

I can’t believe this thread is still alive let alone the most posted in !
Bunch of heathens to even joke about cutting the Stingrays head off
! Lol 😆😜

Robbocurry

I’ve had numerous headless basses over the years. Major benefit on small stages so you don’t bang the end of it off cymbals, walls or heads!
No tuning keys to disturb, straight from the case or bag in tune is a godsend when you’re running late.
My heyday was the 80s so I gravitate towards them. Never liked the Steinberger “cricket bat” look though - yuk!

Wibble666

I have a couple of status headless basses, I would not bother with headless unless it was composite as well ... for me the headless advantage is that it's a lot lot easier to use in a small studio environment , it's lighter and easier to transport since it's now the same size as a regular guitar and its almost impossible to accidentally knock out of tune....oh and there is no neck dive.

DoublebassTim

I’ve only ever seen one company that offers both on the same bass. Might be more but it’s not something that interests me so not looked too hard.
But regardless. I can’t see EBMM offering either anytime soon (I hope :p )
What company was that?

Top Bottom